Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Its sort of an odd article, he talks about the life of canvas and then often refers to dye inks
He answers the question, "how long will a canvas print last?"

So he discusses the life expectancy of each component: the canvas itself, and the common ink types, dye and pigment, and protective coatings. That's a complete examination with testing to back up the conclusions.

04-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
He answers the question, "how long will a canvas print last?"

So he discusses the life expectancy of each component: the canvas itself, and the common ink types, dye and pigment, and protective coatings. That's a complete examination with testing to back up the conclusions.
I've spent over $1000 in canvas orders in the last 2 years, and none of the 4 firms i've been in contact with is using anything but pigmented inks for "giclee" printing, thats why it surprised me that he would spend much time discussing dye inks for "archival" printing. I wouldn't even consider a firm using dye inks.

Last edited by philbaum; 04-03-2012 at 08:06 AM.
04-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Of the money we made selling prints last year, all of it came from canvas. I can charge more for a canvas print that I send out to have done, than I can for a framed print, where I've had to clean the frame then custom cut a mat. # times as much work, and I can't get as much for it selling it. I'm hoping it's a fad. But right now we're debating whether or not to even buy frames this year, we made so little on them last year. As for what we have hanging in our house, I really like the canvases. My rule for art shows is " Never print something you wouldn't want hanging in your house." Because if it doesn't sell, that's what's going to happen to it. Right now we have both prints and canvases hanging, but just because of their size, 20x30, I notice the canvases more. Someone mentioned canvas hides imperfections with texture. It's more than that. My canvases are not behind glass, so they also don't emit glare or reflect light. They always look good. Some of my framed images right now , just looking around the room, I can't even see the image because of window light reflected in the glass.
Well said! I have that same rule and said it many times to my brother when we sold together: if you wouldn't want it hanging in your house...don't print.

I just put up a show of 16 canvas prints (some older -not as good, and some newer which i think are quite nice), in a wine seller's shop and am scheduled for 1 month. 2 of the nicer ones have sold in the first 4 days along with 1 i brought in initially to get the gig. Its a very nice thing to have happen but my ability to replace them is limited since it takes 2-3 weeks to get new ones. Anyway, the shop keeper seems delighted, and there's a good chance i will be invited back

Same as framed prints, just because its on canvas, doesn't mean its going to sell. My house is "littered" with ones that didn't sell - ah... the life an artist
04-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Phil,
Who do you use?

BTW, like your site.

04-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Phil,
Who do you use?

BTW, like your site.
Giclee Factory, Quebec Canada

Thank you!
04-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks, Phil. Their prices look great.
06-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #22

I have used canvas in the past with some success (in regards to selling my work), but over the past year have experimented with other mediums such as mounting my image to bamboo, acrylic and aluminum. I love the way it stands out among traditional frames and canvas which everyone else is using and I can set a higher price point. The only drawback is the upfront cost is more, but most companies have a pro photographer program and wholesale pricing. I have used a company called Bumblejax out of Seattle and have been extremely pleased. The acrylic product with metallic paper really makes a statement particularly with images of vibrant color.
Here is their website

06-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I chose canvas for this which I mounted and framed myself for my daughters birthday.
I wanted the texture, longevity and lack of gloss. Didn't put glass over it.
I did edit out the her of a big dust spot
Pete

K100D DA14
07-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
why??????

its a flavour thing some like canvas some like gloss prints on 1" foamcore others matt behind glass. simple as that. painting has nothing to do with it, i make them at work and we get allsort arty, collages, studio stuff, tram banner-bus scroll, the list goes on...
07-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Some people just like how it looks. I think it works very well for some photos, but not all. I guess it comes down to personal preference, same as most things!
07-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Very interesting thread. I haven't printed anything on canvas yet but have been tempted to.

Can anyone give advice as to which subjects / colours seem to present best on canvas, acrylic and aluminium ? Or are there any subjects / dominant colours to avoid ?

Thanks !
07-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Totally subjective, but I am almost invariably impressed by portraits printed on canvas but left cold by landscapes printed on canvas.
07-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent thread!! I recently took some images that surprised me. I have received comments that they look like paintings, which has gotten me started thinking about maybe printing them on canvas for my office. Also, thanks for the reference to the Giclee Factory....

07-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #29

I sell prints here and there, and all of the prints I've sold have been on canvas with the exception of one. I find prints on canvas to be a little more forgiving than paper. For example, I recent sold a panoramic which I was reluctant to sell because one of the stitched shots was slightly out of focus. My friend didn't care if I 100% happy with the shot, she wanted that print as the location was meaningful. I'll was extremely pleased with the 40x13 canvas print, the softness was not noticeable.

I'm fortunate because my partner actually produces canvas and fine art prints ("giclees"), he opened his own shop about 4 years ago.
03-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Hi,
I have a canvas print photograph of my daughter. I had it done from Photos on Canvas | Print on Canvas | FREE Artistic Effects at a reasonable price. In fact the website was recommended to me by a friend who swears by the quality of work done by them. Well I am totally in sync with her as they did a fantastic job with my canvas prints.
I definitely recommend them to all and sundry.
Closed Thread