Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Saving JPEG to TIFF?

Messed up on a lot of my scans. I saved the neg scans in JPEG and not TIFF.

If I use the original JPEG scan of the negs and reload it to Lightroom. Then save the JPEG as a TIFF file, will that work OK? Of do I have to rescan the negs and save in TIFF the first time around?

Thanks

04-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Theres no point conveerting jpegs back to TIFF. JPEG is a lossy format, TIFF is not. Thus whatever losses occurred while saving as JPG have already occurred and cannot be retrieved by converting back to TIFF.
04-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you should rescan and then save in TIFF.

Going from JPEG, then to TIFF .... wouldn't you lose "details" because of the compression resulting from the JPEG ?

For me: I go from RAW to TIFF, then if I need to PP, I have a "ready" file, then I will save a copy in JPEG for forums such as Pentax Forum or Flickr.
I would assume that if you scanned a pic, you would save in TIFF first.

JP

Pointers: http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/organize_archiv...ize_share.html

http://www.digitalmemoriesonline.net/scan/output/jpeg_vs_tiff.htm

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2012/1/19/should-you-scan-negatives-to-jp...-aperture.html
This one above applies to Aperture but it also gives you an idea about scans saved to JPEG vs. TIFF.

Last edited by jpzk; 04-14-2012 at 04:31 PM.
04-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

If you no longer have the RAW files, then definitely change the JPEG's to TIFF's prior to using them.. JPEG is a lossy format to begin with, working with a JPEG in Photoshop will continue to cause loss, which is not the case with TIFF. If you can get at your original RAW it will be worth the bother since you will end up with nicer files. Good luck.

04-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Re-scanning and saving to TIFF is the only way to recover the original information from the scan. Saving a TIFF from a JPG will do nothing to recover the information that was already discarded in the saving process. If you plan to do any repeated edits to the images then saving to TIFF will give you the advantages of being able to save layers and to edit many times while retaining the info from the first JPG (the ones from the scan). If you don't plan to do repeated edits then don't bother as TIFFs will only take up more room in your hard drive.
04-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What they all said. RAW contains scanned data; JPG contains selected data, with some lost in compression. The omelet cannot be unscrambled and uncooked and stuffed back into the eggshell for hard-boiling.
04-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fstop Quote
If you can get at your original RAW it will be worth the bother since you will end up with nicer files.
There are scanners that save as raw? I've never heard of that. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've only ever seen tiff and jpeg used by them.
04-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
There are scanners that save as raw? I've never heard of that. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've only ever seen tiff and jpeg used by them.
I've seen scanner drivers that have a GIF option, but never RAW. But I haven't seen them all...

04-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've seen scanner drivers that have a GIF option, but never RAW. But I haven't seen them all...
OK, fair enough. I have too, but not in the last decade or so.

I think the poster above was just confused about the origin of the files in question.
04-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vuescan can save in DNG format, in a version that works with Photoshop but not necessarily with other software.

In terms of the orgiinal question, if the JPEG compression was not excessive you can convert to TIFF and still get decent quality- then stay in TIFF to avoid further data loss.

John
04-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
In terms of the orgiinal question, if the JPEG compression was not excessive you can convert to TIFF and still get decent quality- then stay in TIFF to avoid further data loss.
And that's the tricky part -- the JPG compression level. At 0%-4% the loss isn't bad. At 40+% it's bloody awful, but about perfect for Facebook. I never compress beyond 5% unless I dislike possible viewers. But at 1%-3% a JPG could be converted to lossless, then smoothed a little, and downsampled, and most viewers will be none the wiser.
04-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback!
04-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you end up rescanning the negatives, and your scanner supports higher bit-depths, save them as 16-bit TIFFs for B/W or 48-bit TIFFs for color. This way you will have plenty of room to manipulate the scans without losing anything. The files will be twice as big but can be losslessly compressed (like ZIP) to save space if you are running low. Uncompessed TIFF will load much faster though. Just check the options for saving TIFFs in the software you are using.

Given the effort it takes to manually scan a negative correctly, there is no reason not the save everything that can be extracted by the hardware.
04-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Is there a really a special reason to redo them, if you think the JPEG are good enough as is i would leave it at that or maybe redo the one that are special or need a lot of processing.

And that's the tricky part -- the JPG compression level. At 0%-4% the loss isn't bad. At 40+% it's bloody awful, but about perfect for Facebook. I never compress beyond 5% unless I dislike possible viewers. But at 1%-3% a JPG could be converted to lossless, then smoothed a little, and downsampled, and most viewers will be none the wiser.
40% still look good though, it's what i mostly used when outputting to JPEG because the file size to quality is simply the best.

Here is a nice presentation, can you see "real" difference between 100% and 60% here. Image Types: JPEG & TIFF File Formats
04-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #15

A classic case of not paying attention on my part; what I was thinking was that you had started with RAW files, but since you have the negatives there will be no problem other than the irritation of having to re-scan them, but I think you'll be happier with the TIFF except for the space they take up. My apologies for the misinformation and probable consternation!