Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photoshop 7.0 and RAW

Hi,

I'm getting back into photography as a hobby and will have my K10D in a few days. Right now all I have is Photoshop 7.0 and not to brag was guite the wizzard with it when I was using it all the time a few years ago.

Can anyone tell me if this version of Photoshop will open and let me work with the RAW files I will get from the K10D?

Is there a chance someone can send me a sample RAW file from a K10D that I can experiment with until I get my camera?

I'll probably upgrade to CS3 soon but just so I don't have to do it right away sure would be nice.

Thanks...Sprags

01-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #2

I don't own Photoshop so can't comment on RAW support, but you can find lots of RAW samples (including Pentax) from RAWSamples - Index
01-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #3

Well Camera Raw from Adobe supports the Pentax RAW Files.

Problem is that I can't find information on Camera Raw on Photoshop version prior to CS2 (Camera Raw 3.6) There is mentioning of Photoshop Elements 3, 4 and 5 so maybe it also works on Photoshop 7 ? (it's a .8bi plugin file).

you can find Camera Raw 3.6 here

There is also Camera Raw 4.3.1 but that's for CS3 and Elements 5 and 6

Hope this helps

I can't provide a K10D RAW file since I don't own a K10D
01-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I see when I'm in Photoshop 7.0 and I select File > Open > and I look under Files of Type there is an Adobe RAW choice as an option.

This is not the RAW filet type that I can save a the Pentax RAW image as?

The two files at the one link that are from a K10D have *PEF and *DNG file extensions. Are these the file types that the Pentax camera creates?

01-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
I see when I'm in Photoshop 7.0 and I select File > Open > and I look under Files of Type there is an Adobe RAW choice as an option.
PS7 does not support integrated opening of RAW files, ACR works only with CS and up. I am using PS7 in combination with Lightroom and RawShooter exporting to 16-bit TIFF as an intermediary format for final corrections in PS7, then converting to 8-bit to work with layers.
01-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Will the software that comes with the camera allow me to save it in a format I will be able to open in Photoshop 7?

Or am I stuck with saving it as a *JPG in the camera? I'm asking because from what I've read it sounds like the *JPG option seems to soften the image more than I would like.
01-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can open your raw files with the software you get with the camera. Pentax use Silkypix to do this. You can then decide to save as Jpeg or Tiff and continue working on them in PS7. That is how I do it.

Cheers
Eddie

01-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As has been mentioned, Ps 7 does not support ACR. The earliest version of ACR to support the K10D is 3.7, and the earliest version of Ps to support that is CS2, I believe. The software that comes with the camera does save to a DNG (Adobe's RAW), which you can open in any CS version of Ps. However, the supplied software is not very good. I would highly recommend updating to CS3 or buying Lightroom, both of which use ACR 4.3.1, which is far superior to the included software.

Lightroom is also a catalog application so it will help you keep track of all you photos. I have over 20,000 images and finding them without Lightroom is like finding a needle in a haystack.
01-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all ...thats the help I was looking for...

I see I can upgrade to CS3 for about $195 or purchase Lightroom for close to $300...
does Lightroom have a lot of the editing capabilties of Photoshop in addition to the Cataloging capabilty? Or is CS3 still the better way to go for editing?

I use IronCAD for Photo Realistic rendering of Mechanical Design stuff I work on and fine tune my images in Photoshop ...plus I also have used Photoshop to do graphic designs in the past. I think CS3 would be the most versatile for me but I just thought it couldn't hurt to ask about Lightroom.

Thanx again...Sprags
01-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #10

You can purchase lightroom if you know someone who works at a university through campustech.com, possible students too.

Its only a 100 dollars. You just need to send them some personal information so they can validate you tied to an educational system. It definately works, and its a real version. The site gets educational discounts from the publishers and passes them on to the students/faculty.

Lightroom is quite a steal on here - for only 100 dollars.

I use Lightroom and PS 7 as well
01-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #11

Thank you for that information! Never thought to check software through our bookstore...JourneyEd.com has lightroom for sale to faculty/students for $99.98. Heck, they have an $800 publishing program I use for less than $200!

QuoteOriginally posted by CJSpangler Quote
You can purchase lightroom if you know someone who works at a university through campustech.com, possible students too.

Its only a 100 dollars. You just need to send them some personal information so they can validate you tied to an educational system. It definately works, and its a real version. The site gets educational discounts from the publishers and passes them on to the students/faculty.

Lightroom is quite a steal on here - for only 100 dollars.

I use Lightroom and PS 7 as well
01-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
Thanks all ...thats the help I was looking for...

I see I can upgrade to CS3 for about $195 or purchase Lightroom for close to $300...
does Lightroom have a lot of the editing capabilties of Photoshop in addition to the Cataloging capabilty? Or is CS3 still the better way to go for editing?

Thanx again...Sprags
Lightroom can do all the basic stuff, like WB tint, Exposure, CA etc etc. It does not let you get into things like layers or masking etc.

I am just starting to get up some speed on LR even though i have had it for a while. I do some adjustments in LR and if need be move to CS and do finals there. I do like the basic B&W conversion it has, then do the same, tweak in CS.

I think its worth looking into. WB can be adjusted in jpg and raw. If they still have the 30 day trial, check it out

Dave