Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Premiere Elements 10

Hi, I'm new here. Been reading on this forum for a few weeks or so.
I'm looking at getting possibly a K5 in the near future.
I have no PP skill at the moment.
Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Premiere Elements 10 is on sale for $79.99 tomorrow only at Staples in Canada.
Are these good programs worth getting? Lightroom is another one I've heard about, but which would be best, or would you get all three of them?

Thanks for any help.

04-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is a good deal, and Elements is a very good program. I'm on v9 but have no plans to upgrade. You can learn the basics pretty quickly, though a book will help with some details as I am finding out. Never used Premier as I don't do movies :-)
04-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Depend on what kind of editing you want to do.
element is more creative tool then lightroom for example.
Premiere is for video.

They are good programs but only if you use them
04-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom is primarily a cataloging, indexing, keywording and workflow tool. It has basic editing tools built in such as exposure, color adjustment, spot removal, etc. It does not do layers or complex editing. I use it as the central hub I work around, everything starts and ends in Lightroom but if I need something it doesn't do, you export to a specialized program such as Elements, Photoshop, GIMP or whatever to do the editing.

Elements is good stuff, but as all graphics programs rather complex and with a learning curve.

Premiere is for video and I have no experience with it.

$79 is a good price, but consider what you want to do with it first. If adjusting exposure, cropping and resizing are all you need there are plenty of totally free programs that will do that faster and easier than Elements. If you need layers and complex editing then Elements is great. If you are looking for a full workflow solution from importing to printing then Lightroom is better, IMHO.

04-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It does not do layers or complex editing.
It does not have layer but it does have local adjustments though.

I believe most here only use LR for their editing, only a few take the extra step to export it to photoshop.
04-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It does not have layer but it does have local adjustments though. I believe most here only use LR for their editing, only a few take the extra step to export it to photoshop.
Agree. I use GIMP or Elements if I need layers or a tricky isolation. Everything else, probably 95% of my images, are all done in Lightroom.
04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great replies everyone.
I didn't realize that you aren't automatically subbed to threads you start.

I guess I don't really want Premiere for video. From your replies and from what I've read,
it seems like Lightroom is all I want/need to start off. I think LR4 even has a basic thing for video too.
Just need to push myself to get the K5 now, lol!

04-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

very basic video...
04-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
very basic video...
Yeah, that's okay. I rarely make videos and when I do, it's with the iphone and no editing.
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Elements is a pretty good program to start out with if you are just beginning. I bought Premeire back with Elements 6 and never used it much and I haven't upgraded Premeire since. I just don't shoot much video and the little I do, I get by with Windows Movie Maker, a free download. I've yet to shoot a frame of video with my K5. For cataloging, I used the free Picasa which also has some basic editing features. I still use it as my go to search for finding my photos. Lightroom is very good for most photo editing which is what I use now for 95% of my PP. I use Elements 9 for the little bit that I can't do in Lightroom. Editing software is something that grows along with your digital photography skills. There are hundreds of plug in's and specialized programs available and PP needs are going to be different for everybody. Elements 10 is a good place to start. While Adobe's products aren't the cheapest, they have the largest user base and any bookstore will have tutorials covering their products along with a lot of online forums and information.
04-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Does anyone have experience with both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro? All I need to do is basic video editing (cutting out unwanted parts, transitions) and encoding. It took me a while to figure out how to do that with premiere pro, so I'm guessing it's much too advanced for my needs. Is elements good enough?

I could opt for Adobe's Production Premium collection w/ eduational discount, which is $300 more than the Premiere Elements bundle, and I already have Photoshop CS5. That's why I'm not sure which to get.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Does anyone have experience with both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro? All I need to do is basic video editing (cutting out unwanted parts, transitions) and encoding. It took me a while to figure out how to do that with premiere pro, so I'm guessing it's much too advanced for my needs. Is elements good enough?

I could opt for Adobe's Production Premium collection w/ eduational discount, which is $300 more than the Premiere Elements bundle, and I already have Photoshop CS5. That's why I'm not sure which to get.
Just google for pictures of premiere elements and you see that the interface layout is basicly the same.
Elements probably has less functions but doubt it will be easier to use.
04-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Elements is a pretty good program to start out with if you are just beginning. I bought Premeire back with Elements 6 and never used it much and I haven't upgraded Premeire since. I just don't shoot much video and the little I do, I get by with Windows Movie Maker, a free download. I've yet to shoot a frame of video with my K5. For cataloging, I used the free Picasa which also has some basic editing features. I still use it as my go to search for finding my photos. Lightroom is very good for most photo editing which is what I use now for 95% of my PP. I use Elements 9 for the little bit that I can't do in Lightroom. Editing software is something that grows along with your digital photography skills. There are hundreds of plug in's and specialized programs available and PP needs are going to be different for everybody. Elements 10 is a good place to start. While Adobe's products aren't the cheapest, they have the largest user base and any bookstore will have tutorials covering their products along with a lot of online forums and information.
Thanks for the reply reef.
I watched some Adobe videos and I like lightroom and the fact that it's a good catalogue system as well. If it can do 95% of PP I'm sure that it's good enough, for me anyway.
04-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
B&H had Elements 10 for $49.00 on the 23rd so I ordered a copy and it arrived yesterday. It has alot more than my Elements 7 does. There is 3 DVD disks, just to begin with. To see what is new from the last version go to this page and check out the videos.

Your Starter Kit for learning Photoshop Elements – Photoshop Elements User