Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Lightroom 4.1 (release candidate 2) supports new "defringe control"

The latest Lightroom version (LR 4.1 RC2) now supports new "defringe controls".

These are intended to combat axial CA.

Previous versions of Lightrom only addressed lateral CA.

Eric Chan, from Adobe, wrote an informative article about the new controls.

Maybe this will give a new lease of life to some of the PF monster lenses from Pentax.

04-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #2

And will make those FAs even more perfect Can't wait to check this over the weekend.
04-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That looks like a fantastic tool, something which I would use a lot..... if I owned lightroom Aperture 3 when it came out competed with LR2, but now, it's just outclassed completely by LR4. Unless Aperture4 comes out soon and is awesome I'll be switching to LR for features like this, lens corrections and noise removal.
04-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Aperture 3 when it came out competed with LR2, but now, it's just outclassed completely by LR4.
Well, LR4 still has severe performance issues for many users. LR4 does not support any retouching (apart from the spot removal tool). Aperture is better in this respect.

Once the LR hackers managed to improve the software, it will be quite good (not a fan of the new process version, though).

The most serious recent bugs have been addressed in LR 4.1 RC (and RC2), so if you are lucky and it happens to perform OK on your system, it may be an option right now.

You can download LR4 and trial it for at least 30 days.

04-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
LR4 does not support any retouching (apart from the spot removal tool). Aperture is better in this respect.
what has aperture LR doesnt?
04-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
what has aperture LR doesnt?
A clone brush.

Perhaps more, I'm not a Mac user.
04-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Me neither but if it's just the clone brush...

04-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Me neither but if it's just the clone brush...
Makes a heck of a difference if you are trying to remove some distraction that doesn't have a circular shape.

Moving to a pixel editor to address such issues, destroys the whole non-destructive paradigm.
04-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I always go into photoshop for that...
Not can beats the "content aware" option if you ask me.
04-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, LR4 still has severe performance issues for many users. LR4 does not support any retouching (apart from the spot removal tool). Aperture is better in this respect.

Once the LR hackers managed to improve the software, it will be quite good (not a fan of the new process version, though).

The most serious recent bugs have been addressed in LR 4.1 RC (and RC2), so if you are lucky and it happens to perform OK on your system, it may be an option right now.

You can download LR4 and trial it for at least 30 days.
it certainly does. Rc1 fixed the second monitor bug, but introduced a hideous blurring of pics when you operated any develop mode control ( actually turning off sharpening ). Taht rendered it unusable for me.

So .... Downloaded and will install on my LR test partition once I've finished cooking

and I will complain like f**k if they havent' removed the awful sharpening disablement issue
04-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The latest Lightroom version (LR 4.1 RC2) now supports new "defringe controls".

These are intended to combat axial CA.

Previous versions of Lightrom only addressed lateral CA.

Eric Chan, from Adobe, wrote an informative article about the new controls.

Maybe this will give a new lease of life to some of the PF monster lenses from Pentax.
I agree that it is indeed a great step in the right direction!
Having said that, there are drawbacks to the defringe tool also(color muting, edge detail etc) which need to be accounted for along the way, though its still a great step in the right direction imo.

For what it's worth, I've been involved with the new CS6 Beta over the course of the past few months and I've really grown fond of what Adobe has done with Adobe Camera Raw this round. Which isn't to say that they've eclipsed Light Room(per say) though they did take the initiative to close the gap between the two platforms in terms of content management. Which is where I think Camera Raw was left severly lacking imo.

That being said there are a number of other significant tools and improvements which cater to Photographers in CS6 that I believe are paving the way to unprecedented heights(SEE: see workspace, contact sheets, bridge integration, moire brush, revamped basic controls, improved highlight and shadow recovery engine, yet more process control enhancements(2012), mid-tone and contrast enhancements, clarity control enhancements(no more halo's), color channel enhancements, adjustment brushes, point tone curves in RAW, and so so much more) that I couldn't possibly name them all in one coherent paragraph. Though they are all definitely worth sharing for all of us photographers out there.

All this to say that I'm a huge fan of what Adobe's done in CS6. All of which are much welcomes changes and improvements across the board imo,
04-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I always go into photoshop for that...
As I said, that destroys the non-destructive workflow. It also creates more storage requirements, the need to manage multiple images, having to own PS and having to run it in parallel with Lightroom.

Thanks, but no thanks for me.

Last edited by Class A; 04-27-2012 at 08:47 PM.
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

4.1RC2 is looking pretty good so far here.
04-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I gave it a go and it's pretty awesome, I've started fixing up some of the dreaded PF that I got from the m4/3 primes while I owned it. But it doesn't work for all photos, in some night shots with my 31mm ltd I preferred to leave the PF off since I got grey artefacts instead of purple. and it just didn't suit the scene. In the next upgrade I would like to see a replacement colour added. But it does work for 90% of the photos, especially if it's white/black etc, which I think is the most frequent PF I've seen in my photos.
04-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I said, that destroys the non-destructive workflow. It also creates more storage requirements, the need to manage multiple images, having to own PS and having to run it in parallel with Lightroom.

Thanks, but no thanks for me.
It's all about having a good work flow. I can do 95 percent of what I need to do with Lightroom 3.6 and then I own Photoshop Elements which I use for the last few things. It's really not as bad as you make it sound. Photographers usually have multiple tools and programs that they use. If you can do everything with just two, that isn't too bad.