Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #1

CS3 / Bridge appearance

Hi there,

First posting so will start with a whinge!

One of the most frustrating programs I use is the Bridge component of PhotoShop CS3.

Until about 30 mins ago, I had Bridge organized the way I like it, but then it all went AWOL. I have reset during starting Bridge and I have deleted the BridgeStore folder, but I still cannot get it back to how I want it. In going AWOL, it also seems to have deleted my saved Workspace so I cannot select even that.

The attachment shows how it currently is. What I want is the three tabs (Folder / Metedata / Keywords) to be filed vertically rather than tabbed across the top. I want Folders at the top and Metadata and Keywords about half way down the page. This way, I can have the Folder and Metadata displayed. That is what I had 30 mins ago! Theoretically, I can drag and drop but all that achieves is the tabs jumping back to the top.

Grateful for any suggestions as to how I make these tabs stay put.

Thanks

Rex

Attached Images

04-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you should try out lightroom? It'll save you a lot of time as it's designed for organizing and cataloging photos.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CS3's Bridge was kind of messed up. They made major improvements in CS4 and CS5. I find CS5's Bridge much more usable actually. Honestly, I'd suggest an upgrade. I found the CS3 bridge very buggy, almost never used it. I love using Bridge and Camera Raw in CS5. It's a whole other ballgame.
04-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Magkelly,

Please to know that CS3 Bridge is kind of messed up. I have found that I understand its foibles, but there are lots of weird things that it does. Can't believe that Adobe released t like that.

Adam,
Regarding CS5 and / or Lightroom 4. Both seem to be a no-no. If nothing else, there is the expense that is, in my opinion, not justifiable. But the other thing is that my computer will not handle LR4. I have a dual core Dell ( that I think will run 64 bit), 32 bit XP Pro. To get LR4, I need to upgrade the hardware and software, and that is not about to happen.

I just want Bridge to operate the way it was this afternoon. If push comes to shove, I will restore the whole OS from an image that I took a few weeks ago.

Rex

04-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might want to check the Adobe site. They used to have some updates for CS3 and CS4 on the site. Mostly they're supporting CS5 now but if you get stuck email them and they might send the files to you on a disk. If you haven't updated at all since install they may have updates that will fix some of those annoying quirks. But no, it's not you. The first couple of versions of Bridge were pretty bad. They fixed most of that with CS4 though, and CS5's Bridge is pretty smooth now. I actually prefer using Bridge and CR with Photoshop to using LR. LR is okay and there are certain things I like it for like making packages, but I just feel I can get more done with the others when it comes to regular photo editing. I use Photoshop for a lot more that that too so it just makes more sense for me than LR does most of the time anyhow.
04-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. Thinking about what happened, i was having difficutly using the 'Copy To' command (meassage saying that Version Cue needed updating, or something like that) so I did download and install the most recent from Adobe. It all went OK, Copy To worked, as did everything else. Then Bridge froze, had to reboot the computer and that was when my WorkTop went AWOL. Guess I will sort it out one way or the other. I'm with you on LR. I did try LR2 when it came out and really didn't like it. The best part is the interface. Did not like the fact that folders have become libraries which are also catalogues and seemed to be creating data bases all over the place. It started taking up a large part of my HDD; much more than Bridge does. I got the beta of LR4 but it would not install because as I said above, my computer is not quite compatible and I like XP enough, not to get on the 'let's upgrade all software and make the program companies very profitable' concept when there does not seem to be any reason for me do so. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Call me old fashioned, but.....! Rex
04-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
Here is a heads-up! I've fixed it (for the time being.) Here's what I did. Restored from a system restore time of about two weeks ago. Actually, that made no difference. So I reset the Bridge Workspace to default. That has two tabs, vertically on the left and some on the right (preview, I think.) On previous attempts, I closed the unwanted tabs from the Windows menu and opened the ones I wanted, but they stacked horizontally (as the first attachment.) This time, I opened the tabs I wanted first and managed to drag them where I wanted, and they stayed. Then I closed the tabs I did not want. Currently have the Workspace as it previously was. Just have to remember this for next time! Rex