Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which HDR Program Yields Best Results?
CS3 521.74%
Photomatix 1356.52%
Dynamic-PHOTO HDR 521.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My vote is for the Dynamic HDR. I've been using it for months and really like the results. You can go for the super saturated surreal look if you like but it will also do a very good job of creating and image that looks like it came out of the camera.

I presented 3 shots I took a while ago in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/17466-let-snow-let-snow-let-f-ing-snow.html
Can you spot the HDR version? If you're looking for the subtle way to adjust the shot and get something that looks natural, I think this program does it very well.

01-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
photomatrix settings

I've been using the Photomatrix for about 2 mo now. A lot of my pictures are along the coast just at sunrise/sunset and if I want to catch an image that is backlit by the water or the brightening sky, first I will try to get my best exposure based on the average, then I will change the camera setting to take 3 raw images +/- 2 EV. That allows me to catch the details of the foreground object and the details of the sky.

I set the top bars of strength and color saturation in the tonemapping section to the middle, but the light smoothing to very high. Most of the time I don't have to do much adjustments to those and then will tweak the other settings, I have gone back into Lightroom or Elements and continued to tweak the image but for most I don't need to do that.

Here is a recent example form this past weekend that I processed this week. Not the best but shows what I was writing about
01-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Artizen is also good... it can be used as a standalone program or they have PS plugins
01-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #19

I have been using Photomatix Pro 2.5 for quite some time and am currently testing the beta of 3.0 for Windows (some great new features). It can produce any result you want from photo realistic to artistic, it is all a matter of the settings.

There has been quite a bit of HDR "bashing" saying how cartoon or unrealistic the images are. That is just because of how people are using tonemapping. It has nothing to do with HDR.

Also remember that a 32 bit HDR image cannot by definition be created from a single image. There isn't any consummer digital sensor that can capture the dynamic range of an HDR image in a single frame. People who are taking a single image and creating three or more exposures are not getting any more dynamic range out of the image than is there. This is just a matter of using the settings in tonemapping to create a certain look.

Anyway, back to the original question - it is all subjective as to what HDR program is best, just as which raw converter is best. Download all the trial versions and try them out for yourself. They all have different interfaces and strengths and weaknesses. What one works best for you will be the right one to buy.

Thanks,