Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Sending your pics to a lab...

There was a time when doing negative & positive film that I used to send my images away to places such as JPL; a part of NASA for processing.

I still have a film darkroom with both trays and drums; and also quite the number of dedicated photo printers. Yet I still hae the need to occasionally send out my work to be processed to (as an axample) sizes that my printers don't handle yet.

Any ideas on which labs to use and also perhaps which labs not to use? Also, any unusual items that they may offer?

05-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is almost hard to believe, but Wal-Mart does large printing on several kinds of media. I have not had anything printed there, but talked at length with the fellow who runs the operation there, and he seemed quite knowledgeable.

Recently my daughter had a large frameless canvas print made at Wal-Mart of my youngest granddaughter (picture taken with her K200D + FA50 f1.4 lens), and it came out stunningly nice. After seeing that, I would not hesitate to try Wal-Mart if I wanted a large print, or alternative media (other than what I can do in my ink-jet printer).

I'm curious if any others have Wal-Mart printing experience, good or bad.

-Joe-

P.S. Of course, I'm speaking of digital files. Prints from negatives are not possible at Wal-Mart - you would have to scan the negatives first, then have them print the digital file.

Last edited by k0og; 05-03-2012 at 06:44 AM.
05-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Prints from negatives are not possible at Wal-Mart
Not all Walmart stores have gotten rid of their film processors. My local walmart still has a wet lab that is ran by a local retired pro photographer. My local Costco got rid of their wet lab 1.5 years ago so it is getting harder to find local options for people needing processing and/or scanning for film.

Back on topic, I've used North Coast Photographic Services out of California, they do very good work, they can be a little expensive but they employ people who are experienced photo/graphics artists.

Last edited by average-guy; 05-11-2012 at 09:07 AM.
05-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
There was a time when doing negative & positive film that I used to send my images away to places such as JPL; a part of NASA for processing.

I still have a film darkroom with both trays and drums; and also quite the number of dedicated photo printers. Yet I still hae the need to occasionally send out my work to be processed to (as an axample) sizes that my printers don't handle yet.

Any ideas on which labs to use and also perhaps which labs not to use? Also, any unusual items that they may offer?
Since you say you are printing your own, I presume you are creating digital files, and just need someone to output them for you?
If this is the case, pretty much any lab that can print the sizes you need should be able to do what you need. Your best bet, if you want to stay close to home, is to shop around a bit and try a few of your local labs out and see which one has the ability to output what you need.
It may end up being a pro lab, it may end up being a Wal-Mart just as easily.