Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Need some advice re: Flickr group

My trusty K-X and I have been tapped to be the "historian" for my son's high school band for next year. Duties include shooting pics of the band kids at various activities, and posting them up on the band's Flickr account. The booster club rules are that we won't post images with names visible, and there is a certain modesty standard for the clothing the kids wear, so this means some post-production to blur nametags, and judicious selecting of pics, especially during summer band practices.

I would like to propose to the booster club that we set up a Flickr group so that people other than the official band historian can share their pics online. I know there are lots of parents with DSLRs prowling the stands and sidelines at our football game performances, but there is no organized way to share them. There are a lot of pics that get shared on Facebook but the band club can't enforce its standards there.

But I just don't know enough about Flickr groups to know what to set up. Here's what I figure we need:
1) ability to moderate what photos people add to the group, so that if there are nametags visible or someone is wearing something inappropriate, we can say "no" to that pic
2) ability to limit tagging / commenting on pictures to prevent kids from identifying one another like they like to do on Facebook, and prevent or remove obscene comments. These are high-schoolers after all...
3) ability to remove members from the group
4) ability to hand the admin / moderator duties off to someone else after a year or two and not worry about that old admin/moderator coming back and wreaking havoc. This quote from Flickr's groups FAQ worries me: "There's no limit on the number of admins a group can have, although you should be aware that once someone becomes an admin, they can never be demoted."

Can a Flickr group do these things? Are there any other pitfalls I need to look out for?

05-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm quite sure you can do 1, 3 and 4 using a Flickr group. Not sure about 2.
05-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I'm quite sure you can do 1, 3 and 4 using a Flickr group. Not sure about 2.
I think you are right. For 2, the OP is likely to need pool sweeper to periodically scan every group photo to detect for tags. This is reverse use of pool sweepers where posters are required to attach specific tag or comment.
05-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Showing my ignorance now - is a pool sweeper a person, or a piece of software? :-)