Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Some programs still have troubles using more then 1 core so i won't get my hopes up

Besides task that are highly suited to be threated often aren't that suited to be calculated by the graphics card so you need both anyway.

03-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
iMac use the mobile variants, no idea how much they differ with the desktop versions.
From what i know the i7 mobiles are around the same level as the i5 desktops in terms of processing power
For Mac's, usually yes. For PC's just depends.

The higher end Pc's made for professional level graphics and even gaming can in fact use the same processors as desktops. One of my (now) slightly older laptops does in fact run the same processor found in an above averaged desktop - an Intel 980
03-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I love that I am reading this post from the desktop that I was talking about building.

Two things:
  • it is ridiculously fast
  • I can't pin that on any one component since I kind of went all out with a nice graphics card, obscene amount of RAM, and SSD scratch disk but I'm sure that the i& Sandy Bridge helps.
03-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
For Mac's, usually yes. For PC's just depends.

The higher end Pc's made for professional level graphics and even gaming can in fact use the same processors as desktops. One of my (now) slightly older laptops does in fact run the same processor found in an above averaged desktop - an Intel 980
Not sure where you're going with this post.

Some laptops indeed use desktop hardware but those are more used as mobile desktop replacement since they have a battery life of half an hour or so.