Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
I believe if you have the old version and you don't update it is still "free" but you will forever be using that version. Just a heads up for Linux\LZ users.
Nope. I was totally diggin' LightZone during the beta, but no way I'm paying $200 for it. When I run it now, it says, "You need to get new one.This copy won't run any more. Sorry."

Seriously, that's what it says.

05-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
Nope. I was totally diggin' LightZone during the beta, but no way I'm paying $200 for it. When I run it now, it says, "You need to get new one.This copy won't run any more. Sorry."

Seriously, that's what it says.
Bummed me too that it isn't free anymore but they are doing a kickoff special at $149 good thru end of the month. Nothing else, even win apps under wine, played nice with my brain so I ponied up for it the other day.
05-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #48
Veteran Member

For K20D, i needed to recompile apps with latest dcraw versions to avoid those false colors i saw before, all this aside, i am just waiting for Bibble devs to complete their work on the last PMA cam support, so the completed K20D support can be pushed out with them, or get me Bibble5, whichever comes first.

While RawTherapee works okish, it's not much of a "workflow tool".
I think i'll keep shooting RAW+ until i have K20D support in Bibble, you should try it under linux. Yes Bibble4 is ugly, that's not why i use it, it's a great tool and converts quick like no other.

Just thought i mention Bibble for all you K10D owners now, K20D owners later, best money i ever spent.

Daniel
05-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #49

One of the problems I have with commercial software, and for paying for software in general, is that I'm very flaky with decisions like that. I might throw $130 to Bibble today, and in a month, I'll decide I like LightZone better. Another $200. Then in six months, Adobe ports Lightroom to Linux (*scoff*).

I'd rather be buying lenses.

05-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using Ubuntu for a while on one of my computers and haven't had any problems with PEF files. UFRaw opens and reads them and also F Spot Viewer. I recently upgraded to Hardy from Gutsy and F Spot Viewer crashes now but that is another issue. My personel preference is to use Picasa or Elements on my Windows computer for photo editing. I just like those programs. I can't run Wine or Linux Picasa, (hardware issues with VIA chipset according to info I get from postings in Ubuntu Wiki) so I use the Linux box for backup. PEF files do read ok. I'm due for a hardware upgrade ( Chaintech socket A mobo with a Sempron). Photoshop Express does work but I haven't had much time to use it.
05-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are a K20D user shooting PEF and using UFRaw, you need to download the CVS version to view the K20D PEFs due to different WB presets being needed compared to the K10D (different sensors). Here is a paste from the CVS website of UFRaw:

wb_presets.c 1.93 4 weeks nkbj Add PENTAX K20D WB presets.

So the changes needed to the K20D's white balance presets have only been in UFRaw for a month. I have compiled the CVS version and it works fine now with K20D PEFs. The UFRaw repository can be found at:

UFRaw - Home

and look for the CVS link on the left navigation menu. Incidentally, I have found that the best way to deal with installing CVS versions is to use "checkinstall" installs a compiled version of a program into your systems package manager format (e.g., it uses the .deb format on my Ubuntu Hardy box) and allows you to use your system to installl and uninstall it rather than you doing it by hand.

BTW, a juicy rumor floating around about the next release of UFRaw is that it will have some kind of sharpening tool built into it. The only reason I am still a LightZone user is that its sharpening tool is the best around...well, ok, the Zonemapper and Regions functions are great, too.

Jack

recent K20D convert (and waiting patiently for the next firmware update to allow selectable NR...)

Last edited by jbinpg; 07-30-2009 at 10:58 AM.
05-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
BTW, a juicy rumor floating around about the next release of UFRaw is that it will have some kind of sharpening tool built into it.
Interesting! But it will have to be *very* good to make me abandon the Eg-SmartSharpen Gimp plug-in (Smart Sharpen (Redux) | GIMP Plugin Registry - I use it with USM Radius = 2.50 and USM Amount = 1.25 for full-size 10MP images from the K10D).

Last edited by RBellavance; 05-09-2008 at 11:57 AM.
07-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #53

Weird colors from K20D, UFraw and GIMP

Folks, I have been a Linux user for years (computer professional), but just now getting into the digital photography (die hard film user). I recently purchased K20K and took it on vacation to Colorado. I shot in PEF format, and followed all recommendations on this forum. UFraw and GIM can open my images, but the colors are all off (please, see attachment). Is there anything I can do (besides in camera conversions) to get the right colors?
Attached Images

07-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ipolevoy Quote
Folks, I have been a Linux user for years (computer professional), but just now getting into the digital photography (die hard film user). I recently purchased K20K and took it on vacation to Colorado. I shot in PEF format, and followed all recommendations on this forum. UFraw and GIM can open my images, but the colors are all off (please, see attachment). Is there anything I can do (besides in camera conversions) to get the right colors?
See above post #51 by jbinpg about WB and the K20D when using ufraw.
07-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Since this is turning into a Linux party, I'd be so grateful if someone would respond to my thread further down the forum page ("Linux help, please..."). I still can't get my Photoshop plugins to work in Gimp. Many of the Gimp's own plugins are excellent, but, well, PS has been around a long time...
07-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #56
Veteran Member

ipolevoy: i am not sure, but it looks like an older version of ufraw. try to find out which version you have, and check the latest version on ufraw page, or in your distro's repository (it does matter, in case you are wondering: the earlier ufraw/dcraw did not know how to handle the k20d pef's properly, as the k20d, with the all new sensor, hadn't been out at that time).

hope this helps.

wombat: sorry, mate, never even thought one could do that. can't help you much, i'm afraid