Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #1

2 Questions for Mac Users

I have decided to switch to Mac. I will be buying a MacBook 2.2 GHz laptop which comes with 1 gb of memory and a 120 gb hardrive. I use a K10d and shoot in both JPEG and RAW - my hobby, not my profession.

Questions:

First question: I have decided to upgrade the hard drive to 160, but how much memory? I have been told 2 gb is usually enough for most purposes, but how much is needed for post processing? I can get a good deal on 4 gb and the general rule is "more is better" when it comes to memory.

Related question: Any thoughts on good post processing software for Mac? Again, I am not a professional and cost is a consideration.

I have used both Windows and Linux over the years, but I am completely new to Mac, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

01-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded my Macbook's memory to 4gb after noticeable lag while using Photoshop CS3, while browsing and using IM. After the upgrade, everything is just dandy!

I only use Photoshop CS3 and Photomatix Pro with my Mac. Though some photogs I know swear by Mac's own Aperture program. I haven't tried it yet though.
01-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Oh, about the hard drive, I opted to get a 500gb external drive instead of upgrading to a 250gb internal HD. I use my MB's HD for programs and music only. All pictures, movies and what not, I store in my external HD.
01-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

definetly sink the money into an external drive. cheaper, more bang for the buck

do not buy the RAM from apple. look to newegg.com or otherworldcomputing, either will get you the needed RAM at a fraction of the cost

PP wise, I am running PSE via vmware on a windows partition, working to get lightroom back however

demo lightroom, photoshop cs3, elements and even aperture. all go for 30 day trials before you need to decide, and they let you see what you like and how it performs on your machine

01-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh, yeah. jmdeegan is right. I got my 2gb RAM sticks for about $45 each. The Apple RAM is grossly overpriced!
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
RJL

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

I'll stick with the 120 hard drive which comes standard with the unit and use an external usb hard drive I already have (I assume the Mac will recognise it). I'll also take your advice and go with 4 gb of memory.

I'll be visiting the States in a few weeks at which time I'll pick it up and I just discovered the website I was going to purchase from is out of stock and can't guaranty they can ship in my time frame. so . . . any websites you can recommend? If not, I'll buy from Apple and get the ram somewhere else. I assume it not difficult to pop in the ram upgrade.

Thanks again.

Bob
01-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RJL Quote
Thanks guys!

I'll stick with the 120 hard drive which comes standard with the unit and use an external usb hard drive I already have (I assume the Mac will recognise it). I'll also take your advice and go with 4 gb of memory.

I'll be visiting the States in a few weeks at which time I'll pick it up and I just discovered the website I was going to purchase from is out of stock and can't guaranty they can ship in my time frame. so . . . any websites you can recommend? If not, I'll buy from Apple and get the ram somewhere else. I assume it not difficult to pop in the ram upgrade.

Thanks again.

Bob
Bob:

Indeed the MacBook will recognize the (Windows?) formatted hard drive, and you will be able to read and retrieve your files. But unless you re-format the drive, you will not be able to write data to the it with the Mac.

-XM

01-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
Bob:

Indeed the MacBook will recognize the (Windows?) formatted hard drive, and you will be able to read and retrieve your files. But unless you re-format the drive, you will not be able to write data to the it with the Mac.

-XM
Hey! There is a solution to make NTFS (Windows file system) readable/writable!
01-25-2008, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Oh, yeah. jmdeegan is right. I got my 2gb RAM sticks for about $45 each. The Apple RAM is grossly overpriced!
couldn't agree more. $700 for 2 gigs of ram? ( those are macbook pro prices though) That could be the most absurd thing I've ever seen in my entire life....ever!.

Although putting this in right away is sure to void your 1 year warranty......although they're not supposed to break, right?!
01-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You can easily replace your RAM modules by removing the cover beneath the battery. There's a video of this somewhere.. most likely in youtube. I forgot.

Also, there are three user replaceable parts in your Macbook that won't void the warranty:

- RAM
- Hard Drive
- Battery

No worries
01-25-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
Also, there are three user replaceable parts in your Macbook that won't void the warranty:

- RAM
- Hard Drive
- Battery

No worries
really!? I had no idea!
01-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
really!? I had no idea!
Me too, until just last night! Read it in a MAC forum while looking for some accessories...
01-25-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Camilsky Quote
Hey! There is a solution to make NTFS (Windows file system) readable/writable!
Uh, were you going to share the solution you've referenced? Did I (or you) overlook a hyperlink in your post?

I've found this, but, personally, I wouldn't bother. RJL explained that he intends to "switch" to the Mac platform. If I were doing the same, I'd just use a properly formatted drive rather than utilizing a workaround solution.

Others may differ.

-XM
01-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Save the dough on the HD upgrade.. Not worth it at all.

Buy memory upgrade, 4GB of Muskin for $104 less $20 rebate so, $84 shipped from newegg.com (PC5300 DDR 667 200 pin - 2GB x 2)

Buy an external HD, get a 500GB for about $130 from newegg shipped.. The Vault (Mac's back-up utility) will back-up to it with no issues and also allow you to back-up PC's on another partition.

iPhoto is good for photo-management (free) - Aperture is great for photo-management ($300)

Pentax SilkyPix is 'somewhat' useable on a Mac - I've not had much luck but did give up since getting Aperture as it does all that and then some.

The Gimp is fully useable on Mac now and of course, it's free.

Also, in 'the states' there is a franchise called 'Best Buy' - they now have Mac stores within them and usually stock everything. Find out where you'll be, call ahead, reserve with a CC, pick it up and your way by the place.

Last edited by Tom M; 01-28-2008 at 06:45 PM.
01-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #15

I would suggest as others have to upgrade the Ram and use an external hard disk. If it is formatted in dos (Fat 32) mode you can write to it from the Mac but I would suggest reformatting it in Mac format as some types of Mac files will not write properly to Fat 32 volumes. (Iphoto libraries) for one.

You might want to look at Bibble lite for Raw processing, also Photoshop elements (new version coming in March). Elements does most of the jobs that Photoshop CS3 does and a lot cheaper. Elements is about $100 and Bibble lite is $69 aprox.

I think you will be happy with your switch to the Mac.