Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Multiple cameras and Lightroom

I have a large number of shots, shot using K-x and K-r.
I noticed after import to Lightroom, that some of the photos had been renamed with a "-2" at the end of the filename. The shot numbers crossed on the cameras were overlapping.

No biggie I figured.

Now I just noticed, per chance, that some of the photo's weren't imported at all. Just tried again and LR ignores them because it thinks they had already been .

So, what do I do?

The folder I need to import from contains 2300 photos. I can't (or rather, really don't want to) go over them one by one to identify the ones that weren't imported.

Importing all of them seems trivial as well. Anyone got any smart ideas? Someone must have had similar problem before.

07-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have the 'Don't import suspect duplicates' box ticked on the import screen?

I would also suggest storing your photos on disk in a separate hierarchy (folders for each shoot or each year/month, or each body) then importing from disk into LR either at the top of each disk folder hierarchy (ie syncronise), or just go and manually add each folder you want to import images from into your catalog.
07-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Do you have the 'Don't import suspect duplicates' box ticked on the import screen?
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I would also suggest storing your photos on disk in a separate hierarchy (folders for each shoot or each year/month, or each body) then importing from disk into LR either at the top of each disk folder hierarchy (ie synchronize), or just go and manually add each folder you want to import images from into your catalog.
My photo's are neatly separated - not several days bunched together in a single folder. If LR was flexible enough then I could have added "Camera Model" as top level but as it is now, photos from both cameras, shot on same day, gets thrown into the same folder.

not sure what you mean about synchronizing.
07-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nevermind. I'll go ahead a do a complete re-import.

07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In the import dialog window at the bottom, what have you chosen in the "sort:" drop down menu? I have capture time chosen and don't have any problems importing from 2, sometimes 3, different cameras.
07-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have capture time as well.

I should have mentioned - original photos come from a total of 4 SD cards. All shot during the same day. Now I don't even remember it but I might have imported the photos from each card one by one. could thins add the chance of the kind of problem I had?
07-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think this can be done. You could get around the problem by changing how one of your cameras writes its file names so it can never overlap with the other camera.

I download my images to a file on the hard drive and then import it from the file. I don't care what it is called on the hard drive as the information I want is the file name and the date.

07-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My transfers from SD to PC.
K-x goes into K-x -> Year -> quarter of year -> month number -> original folder name
K-r goes into K-r -> Year -> quarter of year -> month number -> original folder name

Files from those folders gets imported to LR. LR creates new copies on a different drive.

Lightroom doesn't care about cameras when it creates hierarchies though. so, it will mix the files within same folder, if shot on same day.

My LR renaming scheme was: ziYYYYMMDD_PHOTONUMBER.dng
Changed it to: zi_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_PHOTONUM.dng

Don't think I'll be changing cams within a sec - but could happen!

The problem in this case was a bit special though. It imported some files with dupe filenames but not all. I'm beginning to think I might have changed something by accident in one or more of the exports.