Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PDCU 4 raw adjustments database

Maybe this info can be useful to someone else as well.

Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 (4.35) store the changed settings for RAW files in

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Pentax\Digital Camera Utility 4\PTXUTL.mdb

This might be useful if you would like to make a backup of your PDCU4 RAW adjustments before reinstalling windows, replacing computers, etc.

I did a quick test moving the file (PDCU recreated PTXUTL.mdb file), no RAW changes left when reopening PDCU. I then copied the file back into the directory, my old adjustments were back as they were before.

The PTXUTL.mdb file actually seems to be a working MS ACCESS database file:

Using Win7 Pro - 64bit

07-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing Johan.

I'm curious though, what do you mean when you say "RAW Adjustments". Do you mean that PDCU saves the adjustments you make to each picture in this database file so that if you need to go back and re-edit a RAW file, it will already be set up with the adjustments that you left it with?

or

Do you mean that it saves the various settings and layout of PDCU?
07-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Arrvon,

Yes, it saves the changes made for each picture in this database, so you can go back and make changes to picture adjustments you made in previous sessions.

For some reason I never got this working correctly when running Windows XP, but after switching to Win7 it actually saves the adjustments made to pictures, in between sessions.

I think application settings and layout settings are stored in the two .INI files in the same directory, but I have not investigated that further.
07-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Hi Arrvon,

Yes, it saves the changes made for each picture in this database, so you can go back and make changes to picture adjustments you made in previous sessions.

For some reason I never got this working correctly when running Windows XP, but after switching to Win7 it actually saves the adjustments made to pictures, in between sessions.
My settings are saved in between sessions. I tried to help a couple of people who were losing the raw adjustments when they closed DCU4, but I didn't come up with anything. I don't know why my sessions are saved, and I don't know why it doesn't work for others.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with XP, I've only ever loaded DCU4 on computers with Vista and Windows 7. At first my raw changes were not saved between sessions. I don't recall whether I overcame this serious deficiency by changing a setting, or maybe by reloading, or maybe with a software upgrade. When I first started using DCU4 I had a lot of trouble with it crashing and freezing. It was a real struggle to get it working, though it's been reliable for the past couple of years.

07-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Dan,

Yes, I think I was one of those you tried to assist. I suspect it might either have something to do with XP and Vista/Win7 having user Application Data in different locations, or the fact that I customized my XP to have Appdata in a different location than the default one.

Good to have it working and saving changes, as I think it gives better colour than other RAW developers out of the box.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
My settings are saved in between sessions. I tried to help a couple of people who were losing the raw adjustments when they closed DCU4, but I didn't come up with anything. I don't know why my sessions are saved, and I don't know why it doesn't work for others.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with XP, I've only ever loaded DCU4 on computers with Vista and Windows 7. At first my raw changes were not saved between sessions. I don't recall whether I overcame this serious deficiency by changing a setting, or maybe by reloading, or maybe with a software upgrade. When I first started using DCU4 I had a lot of trouble with it crashing and freezing. It was a real struggle to get it working, though it's been reliable for the past couple of years.