Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with print size

OK, I know this is most probably the dumbest question ever but I am really stumped and frustrated right now and am hoping someone can help me figure this out. I have a photo of a bird's head that I would like to have printed as large as possible. Why is it that a 16x20 crops the picture the exact same way as an 8x10 would crop it? Both remove either half the head or half the beak. If I could add 10" to the width and 6" to the height it would be perfect. I am definitely missing something so can anyone explain this to me.
I do know you should be planning ahead on printing when you take a photo but I have just now gotten to the point where I think I may have one or two good enough and am frustrated trying to get the whole thing printed and not just bits.

Thanks so much for any help/advice you can give.

07-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

8x10 and 16x20 are the same aspect ratio.

8 x 2 = 16
10 x 2 = 20

If you want to add 10" to the width and 6 to the height you want a 14x20.
07-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The ratio of an 8x10 and 16x20 is the same.
You should do the crop on the computer first then have it printed. You can also crop at a different ratio and
physically cut the print to fit the 8x10 or other size frame.
07-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
8x10 and 16x20 are the same aspect ratio.

8 x 2 = 16
10 x 2 = 20

If you want to add 10" to the width and 6 to the height you want a 14x20.
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
The ratio of an 8x10 and 16x20 is the same.
You should do the crop on the computer first then have it printed. You can also crop at a different ratio and
physically cut the print to fit the 8x10 or other size frame.
Thanks so much for your quick answers. I think I understand about aspect ratio. I just don't see why it should matter. Heavens I do feel like a dumb bunny.
So, if I understand you guys right, there is no way to print this bird without having to order a special size and mat so I can frame it?

I did discover that if I ordered an 11x17 almost the whole frame fit but it still means special order on the mat.

Last edited by slowpez; 07-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi

Right, have it printed so that the view you want is on paper and cut the mat to the crop you want. OR don't use the fixed crop size in your program use
the manual crop, then print it. You will have a small border but the right print.
What program do you use ?
Picasa has a simple manual crop and print preview that shows how it will fit on a particular paper size.
07-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks so much for your quick answers. I think I understand about aspect ratio. I just don't see why it should matter. Heavens I do feel like a dumb bunny.
So, if I understand you guys right, there is no way to print this bird without having to order a special size and mat so I can frame it?

I did discover that if I ordered an 11x17 almost the whole frame fit but it still means special order on the mat.
There are several aspect ratios that are considered standard. The most common print size is 4:5 (8:10, 16:20) and that is the easiest to find frames for. 4:3 is probably the most common picture taken these days, and you could probably find that as well. Most people on this forum shoot 3:2, but it's tougher to find frames and mats for that aspect ratio.

Try those three and see if you can find a good compromise between a good picture and inexpensive/readily available framing and matting....

...Or you can just print at a large size, and take it to a framing shop to 'crop' there with matting.
07-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi

Right, have it printed so that the view you want is on paper and cut the mat to the crop you want. OR don't use the fixed crop size in your program use
the manual crop, then print it. You will have a small border but the right print.
What program do you use ?
Picasa has a simple manual crop and print preview that shows how it will fit on a particular paper size.
Thanks for your input. I have Picasa but rarely use it. I do use Lightroom, Photoshop and Elements so don't have a problem cropping the photos. Usually the crop wouldn't make a difference but it just happens to for this darn bird.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
There are several aspect ratios that are considered standard. The most common print size is 4:5 (8:10, 16:20) and that is the easiest to find frames for. 4:3 is probably the most common picture taken these days, and you could probably find that as well. Most people on this forum shoot 3:2, but it's tougher to find frames and mats for that aspect ratio.

Try those three and see if you can find a good compromise between a good picture and inexpensive/readily available framing and matting....

...Or you can just print at a large size, and take it to a framing shop to 'crop' there with matting.
Thanks for taking the time to help out. I think if I want the bird badly enough I will have to spring for a special order mat.

07-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Anytime..
If you do a lot of framing get a good mat cutter and buy mat by the sheet, much cheaper and you can have it exactly like you
want. Even recycle other old ones.
07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I think I understand about aspect ratio. I just don't see why it should matter.
In which case, you don't truly understand it.

Here's a short version: square peg, round hole.

QuoteQuote:
Hard to say without seeing the image. But it's not rocket science. Set your software to show you a crop rectangle with the correct aspect ratio. Then try resizing dragging that rectangle around the image to see if you can find something you like.

BTW, Costco will print 12x18' - exact same 2:3 aspect ratio as your camera. Prints are $3 each last I checked. You can occasionally find an 12x18" frames, but they aren't common. However, if someone were to make a read-made mat that had a 12x18" opening and was 3" wide, you'd have an 18x24" outer dimension, which is absolutely a standard frame size (in the US, anyhow). So if you're looking to have a larger print made and frame it with mat, I'd just find someone to cut you a 18x24" mat with a 12x18" opening. Even if it costs $15, that plus the price of the print is still under $20. And you can find 18x24" frames for no more than that, too.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-26-2012 at 05:14 PM.
07-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You CAN get your bird shot to fit inside a 16x20" - you just have to reduce/vary the file Width/Height, which can easily be done in many software packages, of course this will still crop parts of the whole file off but which parts are included/excluded will depend on your cropping.

Exactly as Marc said above :

QuoteQuote:
Set your software to show you a crop rectangle with the correct aspect ratio. Then try resizing dragging that rectangle around the image to see if you can find something you like.
07-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Frogfish but the bird won't fit. He takes up the entire frame and without losing either half his head or half his beak, he just isn't going to fit. I appreciate your trying to help though.