Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

OS X help! Upgrade?

Hello, I'm hoping I can find some people who are on Macs and stay well-updated on current software versions, compatibility, etc. I'm basically competent with computers, but I don't do all the latest upgrades. In many cases it's because I'm lazy, but with an Operating System, I'm also scared. I'm a professional, so I'm always worried about epic workflow interruptions. When OS X Lion came out, I decided, as usual, not to upgrade right away, and to wait until everything looked "safe." From that point I got busier and busier, and just forgot about it. Now that I'm seeing all the hubbub about Mountain Lion, I realize I've skipped an entire OS release, and it's probably time I bring myself current. I'm on OSX 10.6.8 (last Snow Leopard release) right now.

My biggest concerns are my relatively old versions of Photoshop (CS4) and Lightroom (3.6).

Is upgrading to the new release of Mountain Lion going to be easy, or is it going to kill me?

07-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Todd.

I made the switch to Lion from Snow Leopard, after waiting for the dust to settle, and almost immediately regretted it, but mainly because of CS3, which appeared to be incompatible. I decided not to revert to Snow Leopard because I'd read that CS5 offered significant advantages over CS3, so I found a good bundle at academic prices (makes a big difference if you can qualify or know someone who does) and moved up there as well. What I didn't realise until later was that CS3 would run, but only after some tweaking, in Lion.

Be aware that Lion (and, presumably Mountain Lion) makes some changes to visibility and permissions behaviour that can frustrate some programs. The most notable issue I had was with Blurb's BookSmart, which arose because their default save is in Library (not that "smart", really), which gets locked and hidden in Lion. I thought it was saving my changes until I rebooted the computer and lost about three weeks of photobook development.

Other than that, Lion has some nice features, but, from my experience so far, I think they're really aimed at moving OSX and iOS closer together in style, which makes sense from a product development viewpoint. I really haven't had time to absorb the differences Mountain Lion will make.
07-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm an OS X guy running 10.6.8 on a desktop and I see no reason to upgrade.
What does Lion, or Mountain Lion have that you don't have now that you need?

Known issues | Adobe on Mac OS 10.7 Lion
Adobe Forums: Is CS4 compatible with OS 10.7(Lion)?

Adobe products get updated on a regular basis whether they need it or not. The sooner you upgrade your OS, the sooner you need to shell out big bux to Adobe.

You'll probably be fine with what you have until it's time for a new computer. <= my opinion
07-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, Rob. I'm certainly not contemplating the upgrade for any specific performance advantage or feature, but I just don't want to fall too far behind, and I do use an iPad extensively. There are a few apps with cloud services that will be convenient for me if I do the upgrade. Sounds like I should be OK, though.....ugh....I don't have time for this right now, LOL.

07-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I'm an OS X guy running 10.6.8 on a desktop and I see no reason to upgrade.
What does Lion, or Mountain Lion have that you don't have now that you need?

Known issues | Adobe on Mac OS 10.7 Lion
Adobe Forums: Is CS4 compatible with OS 10.7(Lion)?

Adobe products get updated on a regular basis whether they need it or not. The sooner you upgrade your OS, the sooner you need to shell out big bux to Adobe.

You'll probably be fine with what you have until it's time for a new computer. <= my opinion
Thanks, that's another perspective, and one which I've sort of had for a while. I hate Adobe, and am in no hurry to give them more money. Getting by nicely on CS4.

You're right, there's nothing in Mountain Lion I absolutely need, but there would be some small conveniences. I'm increasingly running into apps that require 10.7+, or at least have features that require it. I have all my own cloud stuff setup with Amazon S3, but a few apps I use on iPad, and a couple on my desktop could benefit from a smoother workflow if I did the Apple cloud thingy.
07-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with the upgrade, Todd. I found that the OS upgrade process was quite easy using the App Store, and the price was good, especially compared with previous media-based ones. The links provided by johnyates should provide more assistance with whatever else you might need to do. Having been through the pain of the move to Lion, I'm hoping Mountain Lion should be a doddle, but also worthwhile.

Rob
07-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rob, thanks again. The expanding list of minor conveniences are definitely worth the small price of the OS, if I don't give myself huge headaches. It's the headache part I've been worrying about!
07-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's an unproven OS. It's only a few hours old at this point.

Even Lion, which is a year old is still unproven and unstable in my opinion. I'm rolling back to Snow Leopard which was rock solid and fast on my iMac, and all my software works with it perfectly.

I'll lose iCloud, but I can deal with that. I'd rather have Flash play YouTube videos properly and not have to stop and think for 30 seconds before I decide whether I want to "Save," "Save a Version," "Export," or "Duplicate" a file. Versions and Auto-Save are so counter-intuitive and un-Apple (at least for those that can deal with a file system) to me.

07-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

We have a dozen macs and one is on Lion, the others are on Snow Leopard. The Lion mac is the newest, but it's also the slowest and requires the most trouble shooting. No end of spinning wheels of death - even in the finder. Also, the new autosave and versions just clogs things up and is unintuitive - you no longer have your files, just versions of them. So you open a picture and crop to print it, now your picture's permanently cropped unless you deliberately revert to "a previous version". Eh???
I bought myself a windows computer after 6 months of Lion frustration and it's a relief to use it. Never thought I'd say that about a windoze machine.
Avoid!!! Think of Lion as: "Windows Vista for the Mac™."

Last edited by calsan; 07-25-2012 at 06:16 PM.
07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
It's an unproven OS. It's only a few hours old at this point.
That's true, but, based on past performance, we'll probably know major issues within 24 hours, and the majority of the others within a week.

Even Lion, which is a year old is still unproven and unstable in my opinion. I'm rolling back to Snow Leopard which was rock solid and fast on my iMac, and all my software works with it perfectly.
I haven't experienced any stability issues with Lion. The only issues I've had to date are really concerned with other-party software, which should have been sorted out by them well before the release, but that's still a concern with any major OS release. Having said that, I agree Snow Leopard is fast and stable, and I still run it on my MacBook Pro.

I'll lose iCloud, but I can deal with that. I'd rather have Flash play YouTube videos properly and not have to stop and think for 30 seconds before I decide whether I want to "Save," "Save a Version," "Export," or "Duplicate" a file. Versions and Auto-Save are so counter-intuitive and un-Apple (at least for those that can deal with a file system) to me.
iCloud is good for some, particularly those working across multiple OSX machines, and increasingly iOS devices. I don't use it, though, because I haven't got around to upgrading my MacBook yet (it would have been handy when I used it on a recent European trip, but the amount of storage I would have used exceeded the free allocation, and I'm not convinced iCloud offers the most economical solution, even if they're bound to be around longer than some of the other current offerers).

For some work, Version Control is vital. Anyone who uses their Macs for work would realise the benefits this automation might bring. Manual version control requires conscious thought, and some automated systems are cumbersome, but loved by control freaks who don't have to operate the bloody things. Having said that, I should try this one seriously for myself, as work is currently running Windows.
07-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I might add that the Lion computer I'm complaining about wasn't an upgrade - it was a new out of the box with the system factory installed.
07-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just upgraded my Early 2008 17" MacBook Pro from 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion. I'm using it right now to make this post.

The upgrade was painless, and it took exactly an hour on this hard-drive equipped machine.

Mountain Lion was already running well a month or two ago when I tried it briefly on this machine (beta from the developer program). I've been running 10.6.8 since then.

Keep in mind that LR 4 and PS CS6 have a better engine that will make your photos look better. I've been using Capture One because I didn't like what LR produced - in particular the camera profiles were apparently a major part of the problem (an area in which Capture One excels - not only for Pentax, I'm sure). But now I'm considering using LR too. So even if it forces you to upgrade, this is an Adobe upgrade you should be doing anyway, unless other parts of your workflow would be incompatible.

If you have a good backup of your system it doesn't hurt to try! I use Carbon Copy Cloner (available free, but I eventually paid a donation because it's so good). Backup to an external hard drive with it. Since it makes an exact copy, you can quickly get back to how it was if anything goes wrong.

I think you're right about it being time.

And for goodness sake, if you don't have anything like Carbon Copy Cloner, do it now - today! Backup to that other drive, and then verify you can boot off that drive. Then you can securely try your upgrade, knowing you can easily fall back. (I'm assuming you don't have something like this, because otherwise you wouldn't have such trepidation in the first place).

Last edited by DSims; 07-25-2012 at 07:23 PM.
07-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, we're more than 24 hours into Mountain Lion's release, and the problem fixes are starting to be posted. Here's one to be going on with: How to Fix Every Mountain Lion Annoyance With Third Party Apps
07-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There's no way I'd be jumping on ML just yet.

I only "upgraded" from SL to L on my laptop a month ago. While SL is rock solid for NAS, Lion is damn flakey, half the time it can't even detect it. Also Silverfast 6 (film scanning software) can't run on Lion and while v8 can, v8 is horrendously broken. That's 2 critical functions that are almost not operable now on my laptop, luckily I kept my iMac on SL. I don't know what to do about ML, but I do know I won't even look at it for a few months.
07-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would recommend against it, since all the features ML adds are marginal at best, while it'll certainly introduce it's share of headaches.

While Snow Leopard doesn't have a lot of the new gimmicks, it's the most stable version yet released, and comparatively, runs a lot better since it uses less RAM. Lion and Mountain Lion only work equally well on SSD Macs with lots of RAM.