Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to clean old prints?

Hello,

I have been given the task of restoring and preserving a 40+ years old wedding album.

While I've done similar jobs before, this one has a challenge: The clear plastic pages seem to be breaking down and 11 of the 12 B&W 8x10 prints are "wet" with a sticky, kind of smelly residue. I was able to remove the prints and carefully dry them with a cloth (at the expense of the plastic pages) . I'm in the process of scanning the untouched prints as a safety precaution. They seem to be heavier stock. Once scanned, I wonder what can be used to clean these old prints?
91% alcohol? a damp cloth? What can I try?
I'd like to get them as clean as possible for rescan and mounting in a new album.

Thanks,

08-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Think I would have a quiet word with your local friendly museum archivist person, they'll keep you right.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-05-2012 at 03:08 PM.
08-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Think I would have a quite word with your local friendly museum archivist person, they'll keep you right.
Excellent advice! Also check the Library of Congress' photograph section. If you have a state archive they also might be a good resource.