Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need help with print type, Lustre or Metallic?

Hey guys, I'll be entering three of these photos in a judged competition coming up soon, but I want to order prints of all of them. I'm fairly new to printing for competition, so I wanted your advice on lustre vs metallic prints for the following photos:

What do you guys think? Which would look better as both a wall hanging (sans glass), and in front of judges under spot lights?

Thanks!

08-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Will they be framed behind glass?
If so i would go for matt actually...
08-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Will they be framed behind glass?
If so i would go for matt actually...
Thanks Anvh; no framing and no glass, they can be matted but that's it.
08-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i think it comes down to personal preference as there are no rules. I like metallic when there are skies and water in the image. I hate metallic for skin tones. I like matte for classic B&W's. YMMV.
#2 would really pop on metallic.

08-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i think it comes down to personal preference as there are no rules. I like metallic when there are skies and water in the image. I hate metallic for skin tones. I like matte for classic B&W's. YMMV.
#2 would really pop on metallic.
Thanks for the input mike. Sounds like I just should try them both. My concern with metallic was glare under the judging spotlights.
08-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Thanks for the input mike. Sounds like I just should try them both. My concern with metallic was glare under the judging spotlights.
right, but when the lights are above and the picture is hung angled slightly downward as typical, shouldnt be any issue.
08-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
right, but when the lights are above and the picture is hung angled slightly downward as typical, shouldnt be any issue.
Great, thanks!

08-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most fine art prints look better on matte paper. Some look great on canvas too. Anything else adds a "special effect" just like filters (optical or digital). Like most filters, they may "improve" the image, but most times the effect is short lived and distracts from the original.

Pick one of the images and have it printed both on matte paper and whatever else you are considering and then compare the results side by site. The matte may look a bit dull at the beginning but it will leave a lasting impression.

Avoid glossy papers for art prints at any cost. They will look like they came from a drugstore. If gloss is the look you are after, consider reverse mounting on Plexiglas or coating the image with acrylics or resins.
08-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

an interesting opinion, but i find the grain of the matte finish causes detail to be lost. It almost looks low rez to me. Then again, when fine detail is not tantamount, matte is surely a good choice. I select the right paper for each job, but most often lean toward glossy and metallic, and none of my images appear to have been printed at a drugstore. YMMV.
08-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mike, don't know what kind of paper you use then, matt paper isnt anything like canvas, it's just like glossy paper but without the gloss, thats it.
08-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Mike, don't know what kind of paper you use then, matt paper isnt anything like canvas, it's just like glossy paper but without the gloss, thats it.
The print shops I've looked into describe matte having more of a grainy texture. The "lustre" format is halfway between matte and glossy, essentially it's glossy without the glare. Some printers label their lustre differently (perhaps even as a premium matte).

Anyway, thanks for all your comments. I printed them all lustre and got an extra metallic on the beach shot for comparison. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.
08-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

an interesting opinion, but i find the grain of the matte finish causes detail to be lost. It almost looks low rez to me. Then again, when fine detail is not tantamount, matte is surely a good choice. I select the right paper for each job, but most often lean toward glossy and metallic, and none of my images appear to have been printed at a drugstore. YMMV.
I use EPSON Professional Media Enhanced Matte Paper (the 24" roll variety) and I never perceived any loss of details. Actually the absence of any shine lets the detail show through better. It does have same texture which adds to the character of the print and allows to print larger sizes (I typically print 24" x 24" up to 24" x 48").

Glossy paper has its uses in photography but I haven't found any to justify it yet for my work. If I need real gloss, I print on canvas, mount it on board, use acrylic paint to finish the sides, cover it with resin and call it "mixed media".

From my experience, given a choice, few collectors will consider spending money buying a glossy fine art print. Simply, it does not look "artistic".
08-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Most certainly matte paper.

The monochrome and monochrome-like images will be perfect with matte paper. If the correct paper is used for those monochromes the detail will actually appear more defined. With glossy paper the refection you get (under any light but particularly under spotlights) will distract the viewer from the strong outline of the monochrome rendering. Any light shone onto these pictures during presentation will have an amplifying affect on the image, to me it always looks like as if the light is absorbed into the print and this makes it really look powerful.You should not loose any detail particularly if the ink being used is calibrated for this sort of paper, namely matte black.

Images like these I print on "Hahnemühle Cotton Rag" but most people don't use it because it is reasonably expensive. Commercial printer shy away from this usually.

This is my experience, and I print a lot.

Greetings
08-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
I use EPSON Professional Media Enhanced Matte Paper (the 24" roll variety) and I never perceived any loss of details. Actually the absence of any shine lets the detail show through better. It does have same texture which adds to the character of the print and allows to print larger sizes (I typically print 24" x 24" up to 24" x 48").
I also use Epson, maybe thats it?
Although i've also used the canon matt photo paper once but that was also smooth...
08-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I used to feel the same way, but recently, I have been printing on Epson Hot Press Natural, and the sharpness and detail are as much as anyone could want. The surface is very smooth as well. What one gives up with a matte paper are Dmax and color gamut, but what one gains is a non-reflective surface that seems to have depth. It is a matter of taste, but I find myself increasingly drawn to matte papers.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 08-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.