Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

RPP and Lens Corrections

I just started playing around with RPP and I really like the results so far.
However, I can't get the lens corrections to work in lightroom or DxO once the file has been converted to a tiff.
My question for those who use RPP, what are you doing for Lens Corrections? Are you using PTLens?

08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I do a lot of corrections in PS. (Which you may not have but other programs may work similarly)

Put the image up on screen, not full screen but, say, 20% size.

Click SELECT then ALL (marching ants) > click EDIT > from dropdown click TRANSFORM and from flyout select SKEW, DISTORT or what ever suits your purpose. When done, crop. (You will loose some image depending on how much or severe the correction was.)

Most of the time this is all you ever need to correct an image.

Greetings
08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip.
I actually don't have PS, but LR3. I will give it a look to see if it has this functionality
08-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
However, I can't get the lens corrections to work in lightroom or DxO once the file has been converted to a tiff.
My question for those who use RPP, what are you doing for Lens Corrections? Are you using PTLens?
ptlens in photoshop OR ACR (it works w/ .tiff) OR embedded lens correction filter in photoshop...

08-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

ACR allows manual lens correction for .tiff/.jpg files - so I 'd assume LR shall allow that too.
08-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, PTLens inside of Photoshop is what I use. It would be nice to have lens corrections applied automatically by RPP, but it is a stripped down program that is dedicated to producing the best possible raw conversions. A secondary editing program is a necessity. Once you accept that fact, you will really enjoy the process as well as the final results.

Rob
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Does RPP write the EXIF information to the Tiff file? I know when I work in LR with the RAW files I can fairly easily make lens corrections, even automatically for most of my lenses. I would assume the same could be done for Tiff files, but that may depend on whether all the EXIF information is there. LR may just disable that ability for Tiff files, too... I don't know. I like PTLens, but I don't use it much any more.
08-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Does RPP write the EXIF information to the Tiff file? I know when I work in LR with the RAW files I can fairly easily make lens corrections, even automatically for most of my lenses. I would assume the same could be done for Tiff files, but that may depend on whether all the EXIF information is there. LR may just disable that ability for Tiff files, too... I don't know. I like PTLens, but I don't use it much any more.
Yes, RPP does write the EXIF to the TIFF. In my setup, the focal length is included the data, but not the actual lens that was used, so PTLens makes a guess at which lens was used. Most often, it gets it right, but occasionally, it does not, and I have to choose the correct lens from a drop-down menu. No biggie.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 08-15-2012 at 09:58 PM.
08-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Yes, RPP does write the EXIF to the TIFF. In my setup, the focal length is included the data, but not the actual lens that was used, so PTLens makes a guess at which lens was used. Most often, it gets it right, but occasionally, it does not, and I have to choose the correct lens from a drop-down menu. No biggie.

Rob
I think its that actual lens data that is most useful for LR, too. Of course LR doesn't even support all lenses anyway. PTLens is nice because you can get pretty close doing the method you are using while LR is a bit more effort unless the lens is already there.