Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,354
RPP and Lens Corrections

I just started playing around with RPP and I really like the results so far.
However, I can't get the lens corrections to work in lightroom or DxO once the file has been converted to a tiff.
My question for those who use RPP, what are you doing for Lens Corrections? Are you using PTLens?

08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,386
Hi

I do a lot of corrections in PS. (Which you may not have but other programs may work similarly)

Put the image up on screen, not full screen but, say, 20% size.

Click SELECT then ALL (marching ants) > click EDIT > from dropdown click TRANSFORM and from flyout select SKEW, DISTORT or what ever suits your purpose. When done, crop. (You will loose some image depending on how much or severe the correction was.)

Most of the time this is all you ever need to correct an image.

Greetings
08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,354
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip.
I actually don't have PS, but LR3. I will give it a look to see if it has this functionality
08-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,043
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I just started playing around with RPP and I really like the results so far.
However, I can't get the lens corrections to work in lightroom or DxO once the file has been converted to a tiff.
My question for those who use RPP, what are you doing for Lens Corrections? Are you using PTLens?
ptlens in photoshop OR ACR (it works w/ .tiff) OR embedded lens correction filter in photoshop...

08-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,043
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
However, I can't get the lens corrections to work in lightroom or DxO once the file has been converted to a tiff.
ACR allows manual lens correction for .tiff/.jpg files - so I 'd assume LR shall allow that too.
08-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Yes, PTLens inside of Photoshop is what I use. It would be nice to have lens corrections applied automatically by RPP, but it is a stripped down program that is dedicated to producing the best possible raw conversions. A secondary editing program is a necessity. Once you accept that fact, you will really enjoy the process as well as the final results.

Rob
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member
emalvick's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,642
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I just started playing around with RPP and I really like the results so far.
However, I can't get the lens corrections to work in lightroom or DxO once the file has been converted to a tiff.
My question for those who use RPP, what are you doing for Lens Corrections? Are you using PTLens?
Does RPP write the EXIF information to the Tiff file? I know when I work in LR with the RAW files I can fairly easily make lens corrections, even automatically for most of my lenses. I would assume the same could be done for Tiff files, but that may depend on whether all the EXIF information is there. LR may just disable that ability for Tiff files, too... I don't know. I like PTLens, but I don't use it much any more.
08-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Does RPP write the EXIF information to the Tiff file? I know when I work in LR with the RAW files I can fairly easily make lens corrections, even automatically for most of my lenses. I would assume the same could be done for Tiff files, but that may depend on whether all the EXIF information is there. LR may just disable that ability for Tiff files, too... I don't know. I like PTLens, but I don't use it much any more.
Yes, RPP does write the EXIF to the TIFF. In my setup, the focal length is included the data, but not the actual lens that was used, so PTLens makes a guess at which lens was used. Most often, it gets it right, but occasionally, it does not, and I have to choose the correct lens from a drop-down menu. No biggie.

Rob


Last edited by robgo2; 08-15-2012 at 09:58 PM.
08-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member
emalvick's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,642
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Yes, RPP does write the EXIF to the TIFF. In my setup, the focal length is included the data, but not the actual lens that was used, so PTLens makes a guess at which lens was used. Most often, it gets it right, but occasionally, it does not, and I have to choose the correct lens from a drop-down menu. No biggie.

Rob
I think its that actual lens data that is most useful for LR, too. Of course LR doesn't even support all lenses anyway. PTLens is nice because you can get pretty close doing the method you are using while LR is a bit more effort unless the lens is already there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
corrections, lens, photography, photoshop, rpp
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens corrections work much better with recent firmware asp1880 Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 2 06-23-2012 03:40 AM
Additions/corrections to 6x7 lens database Paul Ewins Pentax Medium Format 21 11-24-2010 11:47 PM
Applying Lens corrections using Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4? HGMonaro Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 3 09-07-2010 05:56 AM
Confused about lens corrections in DNG Clarkey Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 8 03-12-2010 10:11 PM
Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4, K7 and Lens corrections problem Labuzan Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 12-28-2009 10:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top