Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Epson 7900 - date expired ink won't work?

We have an Epson 7900 and a number of ink carts which are past their "use by" date. I tried one today and the printer said that the cartridge had an error. I had the same experience with another cartdridge recently. Do the chips on a 7900 actually expire after the use by date, or is this some strange coincidence? The cart which I replaced was also out of date, but worked when I put it back in.

08-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know specifically about your printer, but yes, some companies do have this in the chip, so the printer refuses perfectly fine ink if its 'too old' so you are forced to go out and buy new. I think there were even lawsuits about whether this practice is okay or not. Because it could 'protect the printer from ink that no longer works as it should' but on the other hand it really looks like its just 'missed it! go buy new!'
Especially since in the recent years the printers have become relatively cheap, but the ink is pretty expensive.
08-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Temporarily set the computer date back a couple of years just to see if they might work that way.
If they do at least you know whats going on.
08-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Temporarily set the computer date back a couple of years just to see if they might work that way.
Interesting suggestion, but the printer is detecting that the cartridge has a problem, not the computer. So changing the date on a computer which is only connected via the network wouldn't have any effect. I'm going to see if I can update the firmware on the printer and find out if that makes a difference.

08-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I updated the firmware and the printer now recognises one of the cartridges it didn't recognise before. Other users of the Epson wide carriage printers please take note!
08-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

This worked on HP printers a few years ago
08-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Interesting suggestion, but the printer is detecting that the cartridge has a problem, not the computer.
You get the error without the computer turned on? - I don't on mine a Canon. My setup apparently is getting the date from the computer not from the printer. No idea how yours works.

08-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
You get the error without the computer turned on? - I don't on mine a Canon. My setup apparently is getting the date from the computer not from the printer. No idea how yours works.
Thanks for the suggestion, but perhaps you missed the part where I said that the printer is connected to a network not to a computer, and the part where I said I appear to have resolved the problem by updating the firmware. Changing the date on one computer in a network is not going to have an effect on the printer. I have my fingers crossed that the firmware update resolves the issue for all the cartridges we have, because it will be expensive to throw them away.

PS I should stress that the error simply said to replace the ink cart. It didn't say why.