Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I finally got a device I can use apps on, a Toshiba Excite 10 and looking for this thread, as I remembered it being on the forum, I could not find it with a search. Adam found it for me.

I thought at one time I saw Cornell lab had an app but I couldn't find it yesterday when I was searching through Google play, nor on Cornell's website. I'm a member on Cornell now, and thought if they had one being a member I might get it for free.

Lowell, question for you, which of the apps you have do you go to most for bird ID?

I have a question about how to pay for apps. How do you do it?
With respect to apps that I use, I would say the most common is the Sibley's guide to north american birds.

this is about the best guide for identification in north america (where I live) and do most birding. I use the app on my Ipod and Ipad, As noted earlier, i have several other apps for ipod or ipad which I use as back up guides, or for other geographical regions. I travel a bit to europe for business and also for vacation and keep an eye open for what I see. For this i have an app on european birds,

I also have about 6-8 paper books, for those old enough to remember,

If I am going somewhere new, I get a guide, either on my ipod or buy the book on amizon.com

Apps for the ipod can range from $0.99 to about $20 for a really good guide like sibleys. You get the through the itunes store which charges them to your credit card.

I also have an app that I have somewhat developed myself, by downloading one of the species lists for world birds, and modifying it so that it also includes rarity for each region on earth and then adding fields for notes, and first sightings etc... This started as a spreadsheet but now runs under an app called list manager. the only thing lacking is photos, but the main interest for me is managing my life list. there are a few apps for that, and I am also looking at one, but it does not give regional data only a list, It also does not include photos, but it's sighting manager is better than my list, although it does not manage subspecies well. I am sending suggestions to the app author about that.

11-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, I have a field guide of Eastern North American birds by Sibley, paper back. Small enough I can put it in the car. Baro-nite was the one suggested this book to me. I was thinking perhaps an app from National Geographic and/or Peterson's. There are other app guides I'd like, like flowers; maybe, mushrooms/toadstools, if there is one.

Why lists? I would hazard a guess and say keeping track of those birds found locally or those you've found out of their locale?

Last edited by photolady95; 11-30-2012 at 08:24 PM.
11-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I have a field guide of Eastern North American birds by Shibley, paper back. Small enough I can put it in the car. Baro-nite was the one suggested this book to me. I was thinking perhaps an app from National Geographic and/or Peterson's. There are other app guides I'd like, like flowers; maybe, mushrooms/toadstools, if there is one.

Why lists? I would hazard a guess and say keeping track of those birds found locally or those you've found out of their locale?
I have all the apps (and hard cover books too) that you list here.

I have the complete Sibley's guide, which i have often stated i think is the best North American guide, due to the display of every possible plumage and variant.

Petersons is good too, because of the method that Roger Tory Peterson developed in his guides of displaying similar / confusing species on a single page, and highlighting the distinctive markings of each.

The National geographic and Audibon guides are useable, but I do not find them as helpful in identifying birds as Petersons or Sibleys.

As for lists, and sightings, most apps have the ability to track sightings also. it is useful, and if you are at it long enough you eventually start keeping a record. My problem is most guides, while they have listing capabilities, only allow listing the birds that are in the guide, you can't ADD birds. That falls down when you get a rare sighting, or are out of the region the guide covers but you want something to record what you have seen. Thats where sites like Avibase are useful, you can get a species list for a region or country, (or the whole damn world) and track your sightings.

I track what I have seen, I am not a fanatic about it, but if I am on a hike, i keep track, if I am in a new area I pay attention and track what I have seen. so far, I have over 375 species sighted. sounds like a lot until you realize there are 10,000 world wide.

Go see the movie the big year, you'll understand, better.
11-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Lowell, thanks for the comments and advice. I've never heard of the movie you talk about. I don't watch that many movies truth be told, however, I will check this one out.

11-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As an update: I have been using the android app "Sibley's .... birds of Eastern N.A." on my Samsung Galaxy SII and it just performs great.

For those living in that part of the world ... a great ittle app.

JP
11-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Sounds like you are about to become another devotee worshipping on the alter of birding !
You might be right!

I've seen the 300mm plus club, but still think a "Birding Club" might be a good idea...., I might have a nice shot taken with my DA L 50-200mm, but can't post it there

Last edited by altopiet; 11-30-2012 at 09:57 PM.
12-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowell, thanks for the comments and advice. I've never heard of the movie you talk about. I don't watch that many movies truth be told, however, I will check this one out.
There is also a book, which is a true story. The movie, as the credits explain, is based upon a true story, only the facts have been changed

12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
You might be right!

I've seen the 300mm plus club, but still think a "Birding Club" might be a good idea...., I might have a nice shot taken with my DA L 50-200mm, but can't post it there
There was a thread once about the best lens for birding. It is the one on the. Camera at the time
12-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
You might be right!

There has been discussion from time to time about a birding forum, or a birding thread, but maybe a birding club might be a good idea. As for gear etc, between the 300mm lens club, and the accessories, which covers flash and tripods, the gear is pretty well covered, but the topic of birding itself, not so much. Might be an idea.
12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think a bird club would be a great idea too. We have a wildlife thread but that covers all wildlife not just birds. I have a fair amount of bird shots that could be uploaded right away if we had a clud.
12-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just to add to the apps, I've got:
SASOL ebirds for southern Africa
Aus birds for Australia
iBird Pro for the US
EGuide to the birds of the Middle East...

Cheers,
Gordon
12-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think a bird club would be a great idea too. We have a wildlife thread but that covers all wildlife not just birds. I have a fair amount of bird shots that could be uploaded right away if we had a clud.
I guess the question with respect to a bird club and uploading shots is perhaps where there could be a problem. I use the nature photo gallery in the forum to upload my shots. The idea of a birding club, to me would be to not only upload shots, there are many places for that, but to discuss in one place all aspects of birding photography, from apps, to sightings, to use of long lenses, tripods, flash technique etc, as they apply to the subject of birding including possibly, at least locally where to go

I will look at setting up a club when I get some free time
12-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I guess the question with respect to a bird club and uploading shots is perhaps where there could be a problem. I use the nature photo gallery in the forum to upload my shots. The idea of a birding club, to me would be to not only upload shots, there are many places for that, but to discuss in one place all aspects of birding photography, from apps, to sightings, to use of long lenses, tripods, flash technique etc, as they apply to the subject of birding including possibly, at least locally where to go

I will look at setting up a club when I get some free time
Thanks Lowell, that would be great, and I'm sure other experts like Gordon would also chime in

Perhaps Adam can be persuaded to add a "Birding" section to the "Off-Topic Forums"?
12-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok I've done it. A social group for birders

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/161-birding-group/
12-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Great job Lowell, thanks.