Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ok I've done it. A social group for birders

Birding group - PentaxForums.com
Ahhhh !!

You know: I wasn't too sure you'd go ahead with this and I am pleasantly surprised you did!

So now, we'll just have to jump in there and post "everything" about birding.

Off to that thread now ... !

JP

EDIT: this is what I am getting when I try going to post a reply in that forum: "Dear jpzk, you do not have permission to access this page or feature." ???

EDIT No. 2: oops !! I had forgotten to "join" the group ! My mistake ... all taken care of now.

Last edited by jpzk; 12-06-2012 at 04:59 PM.
12-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Thanks Lowell, I'm sure it will be a hit!
12-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You who are posting many bird shots in the group forum, do realize no one can see them unless they are a member of the group, right? Plus, one of Lowell's intents for this group was to discuss our birding techniques, not just post a whole bunch of photos, eh!
12-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
You who are posting many bird shots in the group forum, do realize no one can see them unless they are a member of the group, right? Plus, one of Lowell's intents for this group was to discuss our birding techniques, not just post a whole bunch of photos, eh!
+1. I would like to learn how all those nice photos were taken, so it would be nice if a bit more info is given when a photo is posted

12-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
+1. I would like to learn how all those nice photos were taken, so it would be nice if a bit more info is given when a photo is posted
Yeah - I was hoping for a more technical discussion about the gear used, camera and flash settings, and the technique used to capture an example image. It just looks like a mirror to the 300mm lens club.

No much of a "social" groupie anyway.
12-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

How much more social than the single ins are Stan? You've done those and it's social, sort of. But we can change this group so that it is more to the technical side, rather than just posting a bunch of photos. We can ask group members to please include their techiques when posting or start a thread that everyone could contribute their techiques.

The above is what i was hoping for also. I can post my photos in the open forums, if I need to brag. .
12-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #52
Veteran Member

How much more social than the single ins are Stan? You've done those and it's social, sort of. But we can change this group so that it is more to the technical side, rather than just posting a bunch of photos. We can ask group members to please include their techniques when posting or start a thread that everyone could contribute their techniques.

The above is what i was hoping for also. I can post my photos in the open forums, if I need to brag. .
Sorry - I didn't mean to come off as having a bad attitude - didn't get that second cup of coffee in me yet!

I find the birding aspect of photography the most challenging - I come to the 300mm lens club to learn. It seems I will never achieve the level of most posters - in fact I have not posted any photos in that thread for a long time since the bar has been raised so high with all the Sigma 500 pics and the great techniques that most of those posters use to get that close to the wildlife. I like to post my bird pics to more or less show myself any progress I have made along the way, and to learn from feedback from the masters of this craft.

So in a nutshell, I need see those technical aspects of a great image to help in my learning process.

Edit to add: I see that Lowell started a thread using flash for birding - now that is what I am talking about! This is one aspect of birding that is very important. Not just to see more pics taken with a flash, but what equipment, settings, and environment were involved.

12-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #53
Veteran Member

We can ask group members to please include their techiques when posting or start a thread that everyone could contribute their techiques
....and also to ID the bird if they can, or ask the experts to add the bird ID, because it is what birding is all about as far as I understand.
12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Right and that's what I thought this group would allow us to do. Learn from others. And talking about our techniques will help all of us. This group shouldn't just be post your bird shot, but post it along with your techinque or frustrations from not getting the shot you wanted. I promise to add my input to these discussions on how I got my shots. I will say this now, you don't always need a 500mm lens to get nice bird shots. I have a Samyang 100-500mm A lens, I seldom use for birding because simply, it's too long for where I shoot. I have some shots that were taken with a kit lens, the 18-55mm.
12-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yeah - I was hoping for a more technical discussion about the gear used, camera and flash settings, and the technique used to capture an example image. It just looks like a mirror to the 300mm lens club.

No much of a "social" groupie anyway.
Ive started by a thread on the use of flash when birding. If everyone starts a thread on a technical aspect rhen you will see it. That is the idea, to discuss HOW to get the shots as well as just posting them. I have where appropriate discussed the how.
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right and that's what I thought this group would allow us to do. Learn from others. And talking about our techniques will help all of us. This group shouldn't just be post your bird shot, but post it along with your techinque or frustrations from not getting the shot you wanted. I promise to add my input to these discussions on how I got my shots. I will say this now, you don't always need a 500mm lens to get nice bird shots. I have a Samyang 100-500mm A lens, I seldom use for birding because simply, it's too long for where I shoot.I have some shots that were taken with a kit lens, the 18-55mm.
There was a thread once about the best lens for birding. One forum member posted a shot with a 10-17mm Fisheye. I posted a hawk eating a mouse shot with an FA28-105. The point is , the best lens is what's I the. Camera at the time.

Join the club mak a post and take part
12-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
.......It seems I will never achieve the level of most posters
No defeatist attitudes allowed in this thread Stan

I'm sure you can because you have three things going for you a) location (what I'd give to live next to a river and not have to drive 100kms to get anywhere real 'birdy') ! b) your determination to learn c) time and patience. Your lack of mobility can actually be a blessing in terms of the quality of the shots you can achieve because, as Pacer & Wildman said, once you have learnt, by observation and research, the bird's habits you will know where to position yourself to allow the birds to come to you.

I tend to cover a lot of ground when I go birding because I am interested in seeing as wide a variety of birds as I can in the (usually) one day a week I can dedicate to birding. However, unless I get really lucky, my best shots are always when I find a spot I like, and know is attractive to birds, and sit myself down (I don't have a hide but camo clothing, and keeping very still, works well) and wait. Pretty often that works well, small birds (warblers, tits, redstarts, eurasian robins) coming as close as 1 metre (inside the MFD of the 500 - but wonderful to watch them behaving naturally that close up).

So my advice to you is to get yourself kitted out in comfortable (warm !) camo clothing and settle down in likely spots (based on habitat for the target bird(s). I think it was Pacer who gave a great tip I read on another forum : sitting in front of a tree is better than hiding behind it (outline reamins the same since birds see 'contrast') and I practice this often.
12-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Thanks for the confidence building post Kevin - I really appreciate it.

I do get frustrated at times as I have shown here in this thread. I am having to learn to "live" differently in almost all aspects of my life because of a stupid disease that came on about a year ago. I had to give up all my hobbies and activities that I had, and turned back to photography as the only hobby that doesn't make me hurt. So a lot of this is that general frustration.

Photography is a great challenge, and one that I embrace with a good attitude normally. I just have to learn my limits and work around them. You are correct that I am so fortunate to live where I do - I have so many photographic opportunities within 100 yards of my house including the river, woods, and field.

Sorry for the negativity - not like me at all!

Thanks for the pep talk - very appreciated and received.