Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #1

Creating K-r in-camera effects in Photoshop

Hi all,

I just recently bought my first DSLR, and am loving the results so far. One of the things which I have really enjoyed is the way that the 'custom image' settings on the camera actually come out well, unlike the bad attempts at such effects which have been available in all of the previous digital cameras which I have owned. However, I would still prefer to take the photos first and then be able to add exactly the same effects in photoshop, but as of yet have only found a direct set of instructions for creating a 'bleach bypass' (and obviously the 'monochrome') effect. I would therefore like to know how I can exactly replicate the 'bright', 'portrait', 'landscape', 'vibrant', 'muted' & 'reversal film' effects found in the camera. I would be fine with learning over a long period using the internet, but am going away for a year to a place with extremely limited internet access very soon, so that is not an option.
Any help in pointing me towards tutorial videos, books or manuals on the subject would be much appreciated, as would any descriptions of how to do these things,

08-25-2012, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Most of those options are in regards to brightness and saturation.
Best way is to make an adjustment layer for both and eperiment till you get what you like.

But i don't understand why you would want to recreate an automatic effect, why not use your own brains?
08-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about the OP, but for example, I'd like to re-create the "sunset" mode. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, and I'd like to make that choice after the picture is in my computer. I've never been successful at getting Lightroom to make the picture look the same, but it should be possible.
08-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

But why do you want to make it look precisely the same if you can make it better because of the freedom you've?