Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unusual Problem File Format

Hi all

I got my K-5 back before November 2010. I started shooting DNG RAW up till November 2010, then switched to PEF. I recently switched backed to DNG. Here is the problem. I have Aperture 3.3.2 with Mountain Lion. I have had no problem using Aperture with any of the file formats until I just tried to open some DNG files pre November 2010. Aperture comes up with an unsupported file format message. All the PEF files work fine, DNG files shot through out on the K20D work fine. The photos I shot post August 2012 after switching back to DNG on the K-5 work fine. It is just the files that are DNG and shot with the K-5 pre November 2010 that Aperture won't display.

Any suggestions? I have also asked on Apples forums.

08-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might check on the Adobe forums as well, likely if this is a common error it would have been posted there.

Did those early files work in Aperture before? Was that a different version? Or were you using different software then?
08-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Might check on the Adobe forums as well, likely if this is a common error it would have been posted there.

Did those early files work in Aperture before? Was that a different version? Or were you using different software then?
They have been working, but I don't know how recently. What I did was when I first got the K-5 I shot for a time in DNG format and everything was fine. I only changed to PEF as I read that it was slightly better being Pentax's format RAW file. They are fine. Only a month back I switched back to DNG as using a proprietary format does have issues if it no longer is supported, and combined with Pentax now only having DNG in the K30 and K-01 both of which we have along with the K-5. I went in today to print out some photos for someone and Aperture came up with the unsupported file format. What is even weirder is that the very first photo I took with the K-5, in DNG format is fine and displays. The photo taken just over 1 second later doesn't display. All the Exif info is there, including GPS location. Apple advised to repair the Aperture library, I have done a complete rebuild but no luck. I can create a new version from original and that is fine and displays. It has got me completely stumped. I scares me that over 2100 photos affected, only taken with the K-5 and only in DNG format, the open standard. All the K20D DNG files are fine right through this period. I even tried the backup library and it displays the same behaviour.
08-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found inconsistent DNG support with Corel PSP as well. Sometimes it would display thumbnails, some times not, same with opening files.

I found that using the Adobe DNG converter made these unsupported DNG files work. I don't know what changed but Corel magically started working a while later. It was, from memory, sometime arund 2010 though.

The DNG converter OS a free download on the adobe website. It's main function is to convert unsupported raw formats into DNG which adobe is trying to push as a standard format

08-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I found inconsistent DNG support with Corel PSP as well. Sometimes it would display thumbnails, some times not, same with opening files.

I found that using the Adobe DNG converter made these unsupported DNG files work. I don't know what changed but Corel magically started working a while later. It was, from memory, sometime arund 2010 though.

The DNG converter OS a free download on the adobe website. It's main function is to convert unsupported raw formats into DNG which adobe is trying to push as a standard format
I ended up creating new version from original and then running a very basic automator script. All are back, but it does seem to be a problem. I did notice that Pentax K-5 wasn't the only camera mention with various DNG problems. So much for it being a defacto standard and an open standard.