Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is Lightroom 64 Bit?

I might be buying a laptop dedicated to processing my RAW images. I'm smart enough computer-wise to be dangerous and buy the wrong gear, so here goes a few Qs-

1) Is LightRoom a 64 bit application?

2) If I wish to have more than 2GB RAM on this new laptop, is it true that a 32 bit O/S will not recognize more than 2 GB of RAM?

3) Is it true that I will need the 64 bit Windows Vista to recognize 4MB of RAM on the laptop I might purchase?

Thanks to all for your answers.

02-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I can only answer two and three. 2) This is not true. The limit is a little over 3GB, but has been extended with some tricks to 4GB. 3) For 4MB of RAM, not. For more than 4GB, which I think is what you meant anywway, yes.

Generally, you will not need anything more than 2GB anyway, so there really is no point in you investing in more than that.
02-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky Sky Quote
I might be buying a laptop dedicated to processing my RAW images. I'm smart enough computer-wise to be dangerous and buy the wrong gear, so here goes a few Qs-

2) If I wish to have more than 2GB RAM on this new laptop, is it true that a 32 bit O/S will not recognize more than 2 GB of RAM?

3) Is it true that I will need the 64 bit Windows Vista to recognize 4MB of RAM on the laptop I might purchase?

1) No, it is not. It works very well on my 64 bit system, but the app is 32 bit.

2) Depends on the OS and the chipset. I believe.

3) Hopefully if you buy a notebook with 4 GB of ram pre-installed the OS that is also pre-installed will handle it. Hopefully.
02-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

1)no

2)xp and up should be able to recognize more than 4gb of RAM, IF your hardware can support it

3)4 mb of RAM?

no, you do not need 64 bit vista, BUT there is an issue w/ vista that it wont recognize more than 4 GB of RAM, or at least it will show it incorrectly. SP1 will supposedly patch it

just as long as your hardware can support it. some motherboards/chipsets will only take up to 4gb

02-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all who responded. I certainly erred when I wrote of MB vice GB when discussing RAM size. MB was certainly the correct term the last time I purchased an IBM ThinkPad.

My only dilemma now is whether I want to go the MacBook Pro route for $2500 or a PC based Asus notebook with the same specs for $1850.
02-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe, one should explain a little bit as well.

32 bit means a 32 bit address space which means bytes from 0 to 2^31 = 2 billion or 2 GB can be addressed linearly. (if you allow negative addresses, it is twice that)

The operating system deals with a computers hardware and will be able to use as much memory as you can physically plug in there. It makes (part of) the memory avaliable to applications by allowing them to address bytes using one address space. The address space may even be larger than there is memory aka virtual memory.

As far as your question is concerned:

Vista will be able to use more than 2 GB but Lightroom (being 32bit) won't.
02-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

1. No, but it runs normally on 64 bit vista.

2. hmmmmm...not too sure. 32 bit Vista is supposed to recognize up to 4 gb ram.

3. maybe. I've got 64 bit vista, on my desktop with 4gm of ram but it only recognizes 3.25. Strange but I've come to the conclusion that its a motherboard limitation in my situation.

Looking back over my post, I realize that I haven't helped one bit! Good luck though!

Check some Windows forums for the vista questions....the thegreenbutton.com
02-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks to all who responded. I certainly erred when I wrote of MB vice GB when discussing RAM size. MB was certainly the correct term the last time I purchased an IBM ThinkPad.

My only dilemma now is whether I want to go the MacBook Pro route for $2500 or a PC based Asus notebook with the same specs for $1850.
The mac book pro is a very nice laptop and with bootcamp runs windows very nicely. It'd be hard to go wrong with it.

06-20-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
Inactive Account

32bit OS's, like Vista32 and XP32 have memory addresses for 4GB, this means that if you have 4GB of RAM and, say 512MB video card, then only 3,5GB of your RAM if available to OS, because it needs to address that video card memory also. Typically you do not have only RAM and video card memory to address, you have other things like network adapters etc, so mostly only say 3,3GB will be available to this kind of OS. I have this kind of setup and i am very pleased with it because i don't think i need 4GB of RAM, 3.3 is enough :-)
06-20-2008, 02:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

there is a 64 bit version for the Lightroom 2 beta
06-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A system that uses onboard graphics rather than a seperate graphics card will use some system memory and thats why some memory seems to have "disappeared". There are graphics cards that use its own memory and system memory also. It's always best to read the spec sheets for whatever computer you are thinking of buying and try to get some idea of what you are actually getting. I know this can be difficult. Computers are advertised with the processor it uses, clock speeds, and HD size but rarely is the chipset mentioned. They will say how much memory but not the speed. Laptops aren't too upgradeable so go high end if you plan to keep it a few years.
06-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

this should clarify
06-22-2008, 04:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

There are other options out there - I'd shop around if I were you. I have a Dell XPS M1530 which I've found to be excellent.
Much, much cheaper than a MacBook here as well (NZ)
06-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #14

the biggest different between getting a mac and another laptop, is the operating system
mac osx is about a thousand times better than windows, any distribution of linux is about a hundred times better than windows
however, if you are not that technically minded, windows is probably a bit more usable (if not efficient) than most linux distributions
the only downside to the mac is that there isn't as much free and open source software available for it (still a good amount though)

you can also get a macbook (with similar specs to a macbook pro) for a fair bit cheaper, though you lose the external graphics card and have a slightly smaller screen (which can be compensated by getting a big second monitor with your spare change)