Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #1

Triggercord tethering software on Android, need your help

EDIT: There was a bug in the linked version. I will reupload when fixed

I have been playing around with an attempt at porting the open source pkTriggercord tethering software to android for about a week now. The thing that makes it a bit complicated is that pkTriggercord uses low level access to drivers that are not guaranteed to be present on android systems.

My own android devices are a) a Galaxy Ace, which can't work in USB host mode and b) an x86 netbook, that runs a very specialized version of android. My port, Triggercord, runs on the later device. Which is a good thing. Still, it would be nice if this software ran on generic android.

So, if there are any Android & pentax DSLR users out there that would like to help me test this, it would be appreciated.

The requirements are:
- Android 3.1 or up (4.x should work, too).
- USB host mode support
- "OTG" cable or another way to physically connect your Pentax USB to your android device
- A pentax K-series DSLR (except for K-01)
I also suspect your android device has to be "rooted", but am not 100% sure about this.

The software doesn't really do anything yet, but it will, soon (I hope). I have created a diagnostics version for you to try. It should tell you if it detects your camera and allow you to release the trigger. The rest of the UI is non-functional. If there are errors it should display a message.

The package can be downloaded from here or scan this QR code:

EDIT: That is a very old version just for testing purposes.

You have to enable third-party sources in your device, of course.

Thank you.

Last edited by c-meier; 04-16-2013 at 01:58 PM.
09-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I get a camera soon I'll test it for you, but my GS1 is running Darky's 10.4.2, which is officially still 2.3. Would that be a problem?

PS I see that pktriggercord runs on ARM Linux. Does that mean one could use it on the RPi?

EDIT: forget it, says on their site that it works.
09-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Giklab. But I think 2.3 wont work, I am afraid. It has no support for USB host mode. Not sure if the Galaxy S1 even has the hardware to support that.
09-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can help a bit. Lots of events in the next 4 weeks (daughters wedding, i am moving, etc.) but nights are free. I have both K20D and K-5 as well as Toshiba Thrive on ICS, Asus Nexus 7 on JB 4.1.1 but loaned out my rooted clone 7" tab. I will root the Nexus in a week and add Codenameandroid ROM at that time unless you ask me to keep it stock for your testing. Just waiting for a couple OTG cables and adapters to arrive. Thrive is a pain to root and will stay stock.

so if that combo of gear can help, let me know. I have used pkTeather so understand the concepts.

09-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
If you can keep it stock to see if it works, great. But codenameandroid is close to stock, anyways. And any testing feedback is welcome... there are so many differences when it comes to individual device/rom/cameras that I don't even know if this all is feasible.
11-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #6

Any success so far? I'm thinking of buying a tablet in due time, but not until there's some software like you're planning provided for it.
11-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c-meier Quote
It has no support for USB host mode
Well, there is this hammer-and-nail approach with I think a custom kernel. You only get one use per boot though.
I was actually slightly kidding when I said GS1 but I think I'll be buying a tablet at some point anyway, so...

11-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
I got stuck with a SCSI issue, and have been a bit busy with other things lately, so I haven't really made as much progress I would have wanted. But I think I have it figured out. Only need to implement it.
11-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Yeah if this becomes more robust, it could be a big reason to buy a tablet!
11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
The software is now able to detect the camera on my hardware*, release the trigger... and that's about it. Next step will be to try to figure out how to download the images and think of a sensible control scheme.

*EDIT: but needs root
12-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #11

Tried it with a Pentax K-x and Motorola Xoom.

The program runs without the camera attached, but as soon as I try it with the camera attached it crashes.
03-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #12

Acer A501 running ICS with a K20D: Can take a shot, maybe 7. These shots are not saved in the camera's SD card and it freezes after the 6th shot... K-5 has better luck. 645D will only focus, crashes when I try a capture. Setting control doesn't work.
04-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #13

Awesome initiative!

I've tested it with a Samsung Galaxy S2 running CM10.1 (android 4.2.2). It detects my K-5 and like svitekphotos mentioned above, it works for about 7 or so shots before the app hangs and the top display on the camera starts to flicker like mad.

After that, the K-5 (fw 1.14) seems a bit odd though. When I set the power switch to off it still thinks it's in PC connect mode; when you turn it back on again, it just does nothing. Fixed by pulling the battery.

My theory about why it only does 7 shots: as no pictures were saved, I think this is all the shots that fit in the camera buffer. PK_tether shows the same behavior if you don't autosave.

Last edited by krispy; 04-11-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: more user feedback!
04-19-2013, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
Hello again.
It's been many months, and many iterations of this software have gone through my compiler. I don't have much time to spend on it, but just wanted to let you know, that it is coming along, slowly but surely. Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like right now:

And if you *really* want, you can try it out yourself: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs65s6t3slnt0do/Triggercord-debug.apk
Be aware that it is still very, very buggy. Weird things happen, like your shutter speed jumping to 9999" randomly, and many things don't yet work, like the JPEG adjustment sliders.
04-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #15

Looks awesome c-meier! Reminds me of that DSLR-controller for Canon.

If you need some specific tested: I have some android devices (Galaxy S2, Galaxy Tab P7510 and probably my wife's HTC One X) that I can use to test and I know how to logcat