Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Topaz Denoise

I've thought about buying this software for awhile. I've read good reviews and liked it when I downloaded the trial a year ago. I'm tempted to buy it this weekend with the 30% off sale. But lately I've become a lot more interested in high iso photography of the night sky. Has anyone tried topaz denoise with those kinds of pictures? This is one of my favorite pictures that I've taken:

But I don't think I can print it very big because of the noise at iso 6400. I'm just wondering how much denoise would be able to improve it since I can't download the trial again.

09-28-2012, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Send me the original file and I'll give it a try, if you want.

Denoise has been pretty fantastic for me, but I haven't tried it with astrophotography (where there are tons of little pinpoint lights).
09-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
kyc
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try it out before buying

I believe you can just download the software and try it out (up to 30 days).
See what results you can get with your images and if you like it, then purchase.

Alternatively, you can post a full resolution image and see if someone who purchased Denoise is willing to try it with your image.
09-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Topaz Denoise is a very capable tool, however depending on the resolution of your original image, you might want to research Image Averaging. Here is a starting point: (Noise Reduction By Image Averaging)

09-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I've thought about buying this software for awhile. I've read good reviews and liked it when I downloaded the trial a year ago. I'm tempted to buy it this weekend with the 30% off sale. But lately I've become a lot more interested in high iso photography of the night sky. Has anyone tried topaz denoise with those kinds of pictures? This is one of my favorite pictures that I've taken:

But I don't think I can print it very big because of the noise at iso 6400. I'm just wondering how much denoise would be able to improve it since I can't download the trial again.
TDN5 is a very capable tool, but also a very demanding one. Optimal usage requires a great deal of practice. Recently, I have been using the new Noiseware 5 plug-in, which I find to be much easier and faster to use and at least as effective asTDN.

Rob
09-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait a little longer and maybe try the noiseware trial.
09-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
100% crop of Orion shot with100 macro WR and then same with topaz De-noise with default light jpeg setting. Pardon the trailing. I believe that you can get better results by stacking.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
10-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Topaz has an upcoming webinar for DeNoise and night photography.

https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/626750102

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT