Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need a new PC - where to buy, what to buy? (UK)

(Mac fanboys not needed! :kiss

Hey,

I am currently grinding to a halt with my photography, despite having just taken delivery of a DA15 LTD. I am using a 5 yr old laptop and it can't handle the K5's files.

I need to get something grunty but cheap, (Considerably less than £500) ideally a super fast processor and not much else - I can upgrade memory and cards when I have more dosh.

I have heard I need a core i7 or i5 processor or something. Is this the thing? Am I hopelessly out of date? Also, who is a good cheap shop to buy from?

Thanks,

Jez

10-07-2012, 03:56 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I,m still using my 6 years old dell AMD 64x2 dual core processor 4200+, but soon I also have to buy a faster one. Upgraded it once from 500Mb to 4 Gb and since then it still works fine.
My raw files from my k20d are 23Mb.
I have never had problems with my Dell, so probably i will buy a Dell again. But as you are using a laptop, I think they are more expensive for the same specifications compared to a desktop pc.
good luck with your choice
10-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hansenn Quote
I,m still using my 6 years old dell AMD 64x2 dual core processor 4200+, but soon I also have to buy a faster one. Upgraded it once from 500Mb to 4 Gb and since then it still works fine.
My raw files from my k20d are 23Mb.
I have never had problems with my Dell, so probably i will buy a Dell again. But as you are using a laptop, I think they are more expensive for the same specifications compared to a desktop pc.
good luck with your choice
I want to upgrade to a desktop.

I actually have a similar spec machine, I do have the option of putting Windows 64 in it and upgrading the RAM. However, I'm not sure if it will be worth the expense. Will it speed it up enough? Perhaps just jump a stage to a new machine?
10-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
If you do elect to go with a new laptop...

Due to photography you'll want Windows 7 much over Windows 8. Prefereably a model with at least 8gb or ram; especially considering most editing programs in the very near future will very much need this much ram. Also one with preferably a switchable graphics card to save on the battery while mobile, and about batteries - try to get one that will support an extended capacity battery - strongly suggesting NOT a built in battery.

Some are able to make due with a higher end version of an i3 chip, but a quad core i5 would be much better. An i7 is nice, but most wouldn't really need it. Also consider the screen resolution, but... If you happen to get a laptop with only average resolution one can typically add a secondary screen later. You might also want to consider an ssd over a platter drive or even a hybrid - it sure saves time on the defrag and also these drives last considerably longer

10-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
If you do elect to go with a new laptop...

Due to photography you'll want Windows 7 much over Windows 8. Prefereably a model with at least 8gb or ram; especially considering most editing programs in the very near future will very much need this much ram. Also one with preferably a switchable graphics card to save on the battery while mobile, and about batteries - try to get one that will support an extended capacity battery - strongly suggesting NOT a built in battery.

Some are able to make due with a higher end version of an i3 chip, but a quad core i5 would be much better. An i7 is nice, but most wouldn't really need it. Also consider the screen resolution, but... If you happen to get a laptop with only average resolution one can typically add a secondary screen later. You might also want to consider an ssd over a platter drive or even a hybrid - it sure saves time on the defrag and also these drives last considerably longer
I don't want another laptop.

I'd like to hear more about the difference between i5 and i7.
10-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I7s are more powerful than i5s, need more power and are more expensive. Although the high end i5 range overlaps with the low end i7 range.

I'd advise something like an i5 system with 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm hard drive or a SSD if you can. No dddicated graphics because photo editing software doesn't support GPU processing yet.

Make sure the CPU name is 3xxx (latest gen).
10-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Be lead by the requirements of your processing software. You'll be able to buy desktops AND laptops with more than enough grunt for pp for less than £500.

Be prepared to spend on external storage, which is always the issue for me. Why external? Easier for multiple back-ups (I run three back-up devices) and if you buy big you won't need to change them for some time/when you change your PC again.

10-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
I want to upgrade to a desktop.

I actually have a similar spec machine, I do have the option of putting Windows 64 in it and upgrading the RAM. However, I'm not sure if it will be worth the expense. Will it speed it up enough? Perhaps just jump a stage to a new machine?
you can upgrade the memory, but sooner or later you also have to upgrade your graphic card and then your motherboard. So better go for a new one.
10-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote

I'd advise something like an i5 system with 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm hard drive or a SSD if you can. No dddicated graphics because photo editing software doesn't support GPU processing yet.
Would you recommend a smaller SSD drive with the OS on it, and a secondary 500GB storage drive? Would there still be speed benefits?

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX:
Be prepared to spend on external storage, which is always the issue for me. Why external? Easier for multiple back-ups (I run three back-up devices) and if you buy big you won't need to change them for some time/when you change your PC again.
That won't be a problem. I have a linux media server on the network with 2TB storage for backup.
10-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Which leaves me with; Where to buy?
10-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Which leaves me with; Where to buy?
is it for photoshop?
You are likely best to get one custom built. I don't know any places in Europe, but there are sites where you can pick and choose your hardware for (in some cases) a small premium.
You can get a motherboard from 50-120 dollars.
you should get as much memory as possible, and right now DDR3 is real cheap (make sure you check the mother board specs so they match the memory)
You don't need the smokin high end processor, an i3 or i5 would be plenty.
you can get a decent video card for around 100 dollars.
cases are from 50 up to ?
There are discounts on windows 7 right now as windows 8 is just about ready. make sure you can 64 bit version, windows 7 premium is plenty, but if you are going to get big time amound of memory you will need windows 7 pro.you can max out the ram for around 100 dollars.
If you go to a place that sells computer parts, you can pick up a "builders" copy for around 120 dollars or less.
you then need a decent power supply for all this, don't worry about the voltage it puts out, be more concerned about the amps it puts out. 14 amps for the main supply (there are secondary power sources inside the power supply for other things in your computer) get someone in sales that know what they are doing.they run around 70 dollars and up for a half decent one.

all told, you are likely looking around a 700 dollar investment.

the other option is buy a cheap HP (make sure it either fits or comes with at least 8 Gigs of memory) and upgrade things in time (I would buy the most ram with the computer)
and get a second hard drive to store your photos on in case the computer crashes.
total investment is around 550 dollars at the start then you can buy the other parts later

good luck now that I mixed you up

randy
10-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Would you recommend a smaller SSD drive with the OS on it, and a secondary 500GB storage drive?
Bingo. Do all editing on the SSD and then copy to HDD.
Would there still be speed benefits?
Yes. Unless you run your OS and sofware off the HDD, but that would be a waste of money and resources.
10-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Bingo. Do all editing on the SSD and then copy to HDD.

Yes. Unless you run your OS and sofware off the HDD, but that would be a waste of money and resources.
Great. So is about 120GB enough for windows 7?
10-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sure, only needs 20GB for the 64bit version. And other essentials only add what, 20 extra?
10-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

My desktop has a 64GB SSD inside it for Windows 7 and then a couple other programs. It is a HUGE speed bonus.

Keep in mind CPU and GPU benchmarks will be much more telling than the raw name of the chip, and often even the specs.

Consider this, the newest set of i3 (Ivy Bridge) will often outperform the i5 previous generation (Sandy Bridge) chips.

Here's a good place to check CPU Benchmarks: PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts