Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Printing on aluminum - who are you using?

I just got two images from www.bayphoto.com on aluminum. They look fantastic! Process was simple after downloading their computer app for uploading and managing image orders.

Love the sizing options, and the images are exactly what you gave them - no pixelation. What you give is what you get.

These are the first images I've had printed on aluminum, which appears to add a brightness to the image. You do have to be careful, though, as sometimes the aluminum panel has a flaw, which they try to hide in a non-obvious location in the image. One of my images had a small flaw, but I only noticed it accidentally while looking across the high gloss image at the right angle. In any location facing the image you simply cannot see the flaw. The second image is flaw free.

So, is anyone here using these guys, or another shop, for similar work on aluminum?

10-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have done some work on Aluminium. I really like the thin profile it has and it helps make a good print look great. I would agree that you need to check carefully for bumps... my preferred lab does a good job on checking the Aluminium sheets, but there can be the odd problem that is not found until post production. The other thing is mounting method; because you want a dead flat surface you need to glue the mounts onto the back (at least that is what I have been told) and the bigger prints can warp a little in storage and transport, which can lead to the mounting "lifting" from the panel. All in all it is by far my preferred backing panel for most of my prints.
10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of my exhibition pieces are mounted on Aluminium, though you do have to be careful as to the process the photofinishing technician uses to adhere your finished work to the metal - you don't want bubbles or image degradation to occur due a less than archival adhesive. For a commissioned work I have even directly printed onto a platinum emulsion applied onto polished silver plate - the finished prints were quite radiant and rather heavy and difficult to handle.
10-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah, they make a big deal of explaining images printed in this manner should be treated like regular photos - no direct sunlight, etc.

I plan to try a few more - they are spendy, but worth it for good prints you want o showcase.

The wizard I have from the company above lets me select mounting options as part of the "build". Posts are and option, as are simple holes at each corner. Not sure how that might impact the visual continuity of the image, but I'll try one at some point. Typically, I select square corners, though radiused is an option as well. They can also cut custom shapes for the panel. That option might be great for logos and businesses, but I just can't see using that approach for images I intend to view. Too many shapes fighting for visual attention in my mind.

I also need to play with finishes. Both images so far are gloss finished. Looks fantastic, but I'd like to see what the satin and semi-satin finishes look as well. Could be a great look for a high-grain, moody, B&W maybe...

10-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

OP means print a dye sublimation on an aluminum substrate as opposed to paper, not as a mounting surface.
10-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
dye sublimation on an aluminum substrate

That process is very prone to scratching, and due to the binding (or lack of it) with the substrate the dyes will eventually flake off upon exposure to excessive heat. Most dyes are specifically designed to be absorbed and protected by the substrate, usually paper. Aluminium isn't very absorbent and I don't think the micrometer thin oxide layer aluminium develops would allow the dye to adhere as well as it ordinarily would. I had a similar problem with my platinum prints on silver plate, however I solved it by using a ground coating with gum Arabic as a base on the polished metal to give the emulsion something to bind to

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-08-2012 at 11:09 PM.
10-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Make your own Aluminum prints at home

You can do your own prints on Aluminum using " J Path " or " straight through " Photo printers.
You can purchase the product from a local or web reseller, and do your own prints, if you're set up with above described printer, instead of paying $$$ to a photo lab.

Be aware that you will need to make "custom printer profiles" , so you'll need "printer profiling package".
There are 5 different finishes to choose from : Matte Silver - Brushed Silver - Satin Silver - Satin Gold - Satin White

The Manufacturer recommends to protect the sheet by either using lamination or a spray coating

Here's the link : AlumaJet, Ink Jet Printable Aluminum

By the way, this is a good " exclusive ", and/or " high end ", and /or " added value " product to offer your customers.

I use 2 of their other products to " Laser engrave " Black and White photos on Aluminum, using a CO2 Laser. Amazing results....

10-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I noticed that adoramapix is now printing on aluminum. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Aluminyzed Metal Prints - Online Digital Printing, Professional Aluminyzed Metal Prints - AdoramaPix
10-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had a 18 x 20 done by Adorama and it was quite nice. The problem I ran into was unfamiliarity when making choices. They offer white or natural background and glossy and mat finishes but without refrence I didn't know what to expect. I went with natural and glossy, which allowed some of the photos white areas to be aluminum looking. I also have the same print on glossy photo paper at that same size and my wife prefers the look of the aluminum one. Had I known I may have went with white background to maintain the whites. As it was a night shot with lots of lights it has a very 3d look.