Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A simple question

This doesn't keep me up at nights but just wondering.

Why is the convention, when resizing an image in photography, to define image "size" by dimension rather than area?

In other words when we blow up an image by, say, "200%" we get an image who's dimensions have increased by a factor of 2 but whose area has increased by a factor of 4.

So a 100px x 100px image "enlarged" by 200% could be either 200px x 200 px (dimension)
or
141px x 141px (area).

My guess it's just because dimension is easier to visualize for the average photographer than area.

10-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, that.
10-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yes, that.
Ever see software that gave you the option of enlarging by area as well as dimension?
I would think it would be simple enough to do on a computer.
10-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have never seen that. I do not think people "see" in terms of area, but in length or width which makes more sense as you are frequently using one of those dimensions - such as forum image-width, or picture frame size.

10-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I do not think people "see" in terms of area, but in length or width which makes more sense.
It depends I suppose.
I live in a very rural area and when you say "Sam has doubled the "size" of his farm" it's well understood you are talking about area.

But yes, for us photographers, dimension is easier and more meaningful I suppose.
10-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Because we refer to the scale of the photograph. Think of the scale bars on a map.

I suppose it is a lot easier to visualize one dimension at a time.
10-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the change in the diameter of a pixel, so to speak.

10-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
It's the change in the diameter of a pixel, so to speak.
And this is exactly where area has meaning. With a conventional 200% blowup where the original had one pixel now you have 4 which has important implications for the quality of the blowup.
10-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
And this is exactly where area has meaning. With a conventional 200% blowup where the original had one pixel now you have 4 which has important implications for the quality of the blowup.
Perhaps this is why some photographers like to go to 300% - they get 3x3 instead of 2x2 for each pixel, which it seems would be better in some ways.
10-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This doesn't keep me up at nights but just wondering.

Why is the convention, when resizing an image in photography, to define image "size" by dimension rather than area?

In other words when we blow up an image by, say, "200%" we get an image who's dimensions have increased by a factor of 2 but whose area has increased by a factor of 4.

So a 100px x 100px image "enlarged" by 200% could be either 200px x 200 px (dimension)
or
141px x 141px (area).

My guess it's just because dimension is easier to visualize for the average photographer than area.
Image dimensions in pixels are an indicator of resolution, while physical dimensions are a measurement of ouput size. Both have fairly direct applications. I'd say you're right- it is easier to visualize the effects of changes in dimensions.

Changes in area correlate directly to changes in file size, which is useful information but probably takes third place in terms of frequency of use most of the time. For example, I need to know that an image file 3000 pixels across at 300 pixels per inch will output nicely as a print 10 inches across. The size of the file involved in terms of area/storage requirements is a secondary issue.
10-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Ever see software that gave you the option of enlarging by area as well as dimension?
Genuine Fractals used to have this option... not sure if (it's replacement) "Perfect Resize" does as well.
10-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Genuine Fractals used to have this option... not sure if (it's replacement) "Perfect Resize" does as well.
I have the latest version of Perfect Resize and can't find this feature. But I'm not very familiar with it so I could be missing it somehow.
10-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
It depends I suppose.
I live in a very rural area and when you say "Sam has doubled the "size" of his farm" it's well understood you are talking about area.

But yes, for us photographers, dimension is easier and more meaningful I suppose.
Not to beat a dead horse, but doubling the area can be done in more than one way, and thus is inherently ambiguous. For example, 300x400 px (area of 120000 px) can be doubled as 240000px, but the dimensions could be 400x600px or 300x800px.

We (naturally) assume that the proportions of length and width will remain the same when we "double" the area, but it doesn't have to be the case. But if we double the dimensions, we know the proportions.
10-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SLThomas Quote
but doubling the area can be done in more than one way, and thus is inherently ambiguous.
Ambiguous for a human, perhaps, but not for a computer.
If you tell a computer to simply double the area of a given bitmap without further instructions it could do nothing but maintain the original aspect ratio.