Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Vista 64 or upgrade to Widows 7 or 8

I've been using Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 2for a couple years and I'm generally satisfied with it. Do any of you folk see any value in upgrading the Windows 7 or 8? I'm running 12g RAM on a 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core i7 920. Photos are massaged with Lightroom 4.2 and PSE 9.

Thanks for any thoughts.

10-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neither, get a Mac!
10-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If you are happy with what you are using and it's working for you, then you have no reason to upgrade right now. I upgrade when I need my system to do something more or better. In between major upgrades, I will usually add some memory or hard drive space. At some point, the software you want to use won't support the version of Windows you are using but as far as I can see, most photo editing software is still supported with Vista. I've heard Lightroom 4 won't run on XP. Just be sure you have everything important backed up because as your system ages, the odds of a failure go up.

I think you're one of the few happy Vista owners.
10-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glennbp Quote
Neither, get a Mac!
No, don't get a Mac. For the price of a Mac you could build a wicked fast PC that would be much more of a powerhouse!

10-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If it lets you do a seamless update, go to windows 7. Don't get a mac, and don't get windows 8, either.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Windows 7 all the way. It's the best operating system Microsoft has ever put out.
10-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
No, don't get a Mac. For the price of a Mac you could build a wicked fast PC that would be much more of a powerhouse!
Agreed.

I'm able to do more on a laptop that costs 10k than any Apple/Mac product is capabl of doing at literally three times the price. Most any laptop PC is also capable of exchanging batteries - easily; which is why there is a genuine need to have Apple/Mac laptops almost continually tethered to a power cord in public WiFi places such as coffee shops

10-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Agreed.

I'm able to do more on a laptop that costs 10k than any Apple/Mac product is capabl of doing at literally three times the price. Most any laptop PC is also capable of exchanging batteries - easily; which is why there is a genuine need to have Apple/Mac laptops almost continually tethered to a power cord in public WiFi places such as coffee shops
10k? That's a hell of a laptop
10-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Is 8 getting that bad reviews? For $39 bucks in a week or two when it is released it seems to me the logical choice (I assume you'll be able to disable the tile desktop in favor of a more traditional windows 7 look).
10-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Agreed.

Time for a price check.
10-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Definitely Windows 8

Runs better/faster on same hardware as Windows 7.
The integration with Skydrive/mail/calendar is outstanding, and gives you free 7GB online storage (25GB if you have used Skydrive for long time - and this is the same for win7, except for the smooth integration).
The new UI/Metro interface takes some getting used to, but now i will not be without it. And it's really nice way to have instant feedback in the from RSS, Mail, Calendar, Updates to your apps etc.
Search is also really great - just start typing from the metro interface and then you get instant feedback, and the posibility to search directly in an app such as ebay, mail, app store etc.
I usually say to people - give it a week or 2, and you find out if it Works for you.

Furthermore the way Win 8 handles multiple screens, the new Explorer, Windows 8 to go and most important (to me) is the built-in Hyper-V that just Works great for Virtual machines.

There are a lot of different opinions about Win8, but if you are unsure, then try it for free for a couple of weeks, and if it doesn't Work for you, you can always fallback to win7.

And by the way - you don't Loose the desktop - you still have it there - it's only the "start-button" - but i really thinks the new ui/metro interface is that much better than the old start-button.

10-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
10k? That's a hell of a laptop
Let alone a $30k Mac!! Where can I get one of those? (No smart-aleck links to rare or one-off collector items, please)

It's nice to see a variety of opinion on the various systems but, speaking as a user across platforms, let's not descend into poorly-informed bellicosity.

I acknowledge the advantages that Windows 8 has brought, but spare a thought for someone who has to deal with Xp as well as Windows7/8. The migration is a constant frustration, due to Microsoft's insistence on putting things in different spots and "simplifying" the interface (I really think it's "dumbing down", and it's not just me there), as they've done with their Office suite. Vista was a nightmare that few people I know have been happy with, and that was acknowledged with comparatively poor sales (including corporates, at least here). The only reason corporates are considering upgrades from Xp now is the eventual withdrawal of support for it.

All that aside, if a system is doing what you want, then why change?
10-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm surprised you are still using Vista... Windows 7 came out quickly after Vista to fix the USB and external drive sluggish transfer issues and therefore you will notice of speed pickup when you upgrade...

It is still way to early to goto Windows 8 yet.
10-19-2012, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I would check out the beta of Windows 8 to see if you can stand it. If not I'd go for Win 7. It's been very stable to date Win 7. I tried 8, didn't like it at all though. Hated the new interface with a passion. Won't upgrade unless I have to replace the computer and even then if I can run Win 7 on the new one I will.
10-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If it lets you do a seamless update, go to windows 7. Don't get a mac, and don't get windows 8, either.
Why not 8?

I'm using the RTM now for several months and its good, the only big change in the user interface where everyone is talking about is that they changed the start menu into a start screen so to say. Sure it was a surprise at first but after a while you see that the start menu/screen does at functionality to the OS.
For the rest... i'm mostly in programs anyway and switching from program to program works the same as it always had so no need to adept there. They do have added different ways to change to other programs but you dont need to use that.