Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
So what's the difference between this pentax digital camera utility and silkypix? My cameras came with silkypix...

Charles.
Just branding. PDCU was just Silkypix with Pentax logo.

12-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, my Silkypix doesn't look ANYTHING like the above screen shots. Its Silkypix version 3.0.0.4 for Pentax. There is no browser or laboratory buttons, and it's a dark gray theme instead of the brighter (and normal) theme in the screen shots above. I also don't see any way to apply in-camera editing features to Raw files.(I'd like to be able to apply the bleach bypass or reversal film color setting, for instance)

The noise reduction functionality is also extremely basic, and not as good as what my cameras do in JPEG mode.

Charles.
12-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, my Silkypix doesn't look ANYTHING like the above screen shots. Its Silkypix version 3.0.0.4 for Pentax. There is no browser or laboratory buttons, and it's a dark gray theme instead of the brighter (and normal) theme in the screen shots above. I also don't see any way to apply in-camera editing features to Raw files.(I'd like to be able to apply the bleach bypass or reversal film color setting, for instance)

The noise reduction functionality is also extremely basic, and not as good as what my cameras do in JPEG mode.

Charles.
For PDCU Pentax licensed the Silkypix engine and put their own interface on it. Ricoh must have decided that was too much work and just includes a very basic version of Silkypix. You can upgrade to the full version but it is way too expensive for what it is.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/187031-silkypix-oem-pe...promotion.html
12-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member

So, how are people getting PDCU? Sicklypix came with my K-x, K-01, and Q. I'd REALLY love to be able to apply in-camera color profiles during post.

Charles

12-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, how are people getting PDCU? Sicklypix came with my K-x, K-01, and Q. I'd REALLY love to be able to apply in-camera color profiles during post.

Charles
Your K-x should have shipped with PDCU. The CD will say Silkypix.
12-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what's the difference between this pentax digital camera utility and silkypix? My cameras came with silkypix...

Charles.
Pentax Digital Camera Utility will only work with K-5 raw files. Silkypix Developer Studio will only work with K-30 and Q raw files.

Edit to add - not sure about the K-x or K-r.
12-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Don't double click to edit, that's just for viewing. Click once on the photo you want to edit, it should appear onscreen.
Note that you can only edit raw files, not ooc jpegs.
Not quite right. You can't do as much with jpegs as with RAW files, but you can edit them with Pentax Digital Camera Utility.

12-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Not quite right. You can't do as much with jpegs as with RAW files, but you can edit them with Pentax Digital Camera Utility.
You can edit jpegs if they were shot in raw and then converted. If you shoot in jpeg, you cannot edit.
12-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You can edit jpegs if they were shot in raw and then converted. If you shoot in jpeg, you cannot edit.
I can! I am using a K5, and jpegs from my DS work too. It will not work on jpegs from my WG-1, though.
12-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I can! I am using a K5, and jpegs from my DS work too. It will not work on jpegs from my WG-1, though.
I have a K20D and K-x. I haven't tried to edit an OOC jpeg since the last firmware update. Maybe capability has been added.
12-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Oh, this is all very confusing! What I can say in PDCU's defense is that we shouldn't look at it in the same way as , or make direct comparisons between it and other 'generic' RAW editors (ie ones that work with any RAW file from all brands).

PDCU was designed to mimic the DSLR 'In-Camera' processing controls, so its editing panels are sort of laid out in that way - eg, the white balance and custom image tabs provide the same parameters as on the cameras. Likewise we have the shadow corrections put onto the exposure tab, although Highlight Corrections get their own more sophisticated tab (which is based on the full Silkypix).

So what we really have with PDCU is a computer based implementation of the DSLR camera processing paramaters, plus a few nice extra finer controls (Colour Fine Control for example). It does not try to act as a generic RAW converter at all (I mean, why would it have no 'contrast' control up front ? Every RAW converter has contrast control up front ! Well, on the Pentax DSLRs the contrast control is part of the custom image parameters, and likewise in PDCU this is exactly where you find it!)

What I don't understand is why (as it appears) does the K30 not come with similar software that implements the in camera processing parameters on a computer ????
12-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
What I don't understand is why (as it appears) does the K30 not come with similar software that implements the in camera processing parameters on a computer ????
Because Ricoh has decided that it isn't worth the expense to continue to develop and distribute an application that relatively few people use. Much the same way they have decided that PEF isn't worth including anymore. The K-5 II only has PEF because it was already part of the Prime II firmware.
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Yet they have updated PDCU recently ! Could it be to do with the perceived market position of the two cameras - ie : K5II now for the 'prosumer' who would shoot RAW and still need the fine control of software, and K30 for 'consumer', most of whom would be happy with JPEG output from the camera - but might try and dabble with RAW so better bundle some software in.
12-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Yet they have updated PDCU recently ! Could it be to do with the perceived market position of the two cameras - ie : K5II now for the 'prosumer' who would shoot RAW and still need the fine control of software, and K30 for 'consumer', most of whom would be happy with JPEG output from the camera - but might try and dabble with RAW so better bundle some software in.
Maybe, or maybe the K-5 bodies can't use the new Silkypix program because they still use older firmware. We probably won't know the answer until we see a new flagship body.