Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I didn't get an email yet about the new version 8 and upgrade pricing yet. But, when looking at my account at DxO, it looks like the upgrade price for me would be $49 until Nov 15th - $79 after that.

Has anyone tried v8 yet?

10-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I didn't get an email yet about the new version 8 and upgrade pricing yet. But, when looking at my account at DxO, it looks like the upgrade price for me would be $49 until Nov 15th - $79 after that.

Has anyone tried v8 yet?
I haven't downloaded it yet, but you're right, it's $49. Please let us know if it's worth the upgrade, anyone.
10-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I haven't downloaded it yet, but you're right, it's $49. Please let us know if it's worth the upgrade, anyone.
I found you can download the free trial of v8 and it will not affect your earlier version at all - installs as a separate piece of software. I just downloaded it in trial mode to try out - we have until Nov 15th to upgrade at the $49 price. If you decide not to upgrade to v8 your v7 is still there and works the same.

I just ran one pef image through it just to see the new layout etc, and noticed that my presets and output settings carried over into v8 automatically.
10-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The DxO 8 User Manual is available for download now (~14MB), for anyone who wants to look at the new features.

The v8 Release Notes are also available.

I haven't completely made my mind up about the upgrade, but for $49, I think I will probably find myself upgrading before 15 Nov. If it were more than $49, given the modest looking improvements in v8, I would skip the upgrade.

10-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I think I might skip this upgrade... Does anyone if they offer a $49 upgrade for vs. 8 to those who skipped vs. 7? Because if I have to pay full price for the next upgrade (planning to upgrade my camera in a year or so), I might as well get this one.

Haven't tried vs. 8, but frankly I don't think vs. 7 gave me much which wasn't already in vs. 6. So I'm skeptical about the big improvements in vs. 8. The only reason for me to upgrade would be if I wanted my future camera to be supported.
10-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What about lens modules? Do they stop providing those for older versions? I also need a copy of Lightroom 4, and funds are limited. I'll have to download that trial to be sure if it's worth the price.
10-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

What about lens modules? Do they stop providing those for older versions? I also need a copy of Lightroom 4, and funds are limited. I'll have to download that trial to be sure if it's worth the price.
If I understand you correctly, I think the answer is affirmative: they do stop providing new modules for older versions. New modules come out with software updates and upgrades. So, for instance, if you own a K-5, DxO 7 doesn't have a module for Sigma 17-50mm, but Sigma 17-50mm is announced to be supported in the next few months, which means you'll have to buy vs. 8 if you need the (K-5 + Sigma 17-50mm) module. Likewise for the cameras. K5 II and K5 IIs will only be supported by DxO 8. Given that there seems to be an upgrade every year, the total cost of DxO amounts to (initial cost + about $40-50 x numbers of upgrades). It's a tricky price policy...

10-30-2012, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also need a copy of Lightroom 4, and funds are limited. I'll have to download that trial to be sure if it's worth the price.
Did you see this?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/203760-adobe-photoshop...-99-89usd.html

Back on topic - it looks to me that if you are going from v6 to v8, it would be $99 until Nov 15th, then the normal price of $169. I have seen in the past however that they run specials for $99 every couple months.

I took v8 for a spin today - actually quite nice. The new user interface I like much better. The Smart Lighting Slider works well but I think it is just a new name for the single HDR carried over from v7. The one thing that sticks out the most for me is the default preset has the lighting and colors more to my liking. I had a preset in v7 that I used which had some vibrancy and saturation added - the v8 default preset is very similar to that.

I'm not really sure if I am going to upgrade either. When I was using the more "consumer type" lenses (DA 55-300, DA 16-45) I found DxO to be fantastic with the stock corrections which really made the images shine. But now that I have mostly DA* glass, I don't find the DxO effect to make a whole lot of difference. I use Acdsee Pro 6 as my default editor, and did a side by side comparison with my preset in Pro 6 to the default preset in DxO, and find the output very similar.

I just don't know yet.....but I know I probably will do it since I've been using DxO since v6. If the price was more like $29 or $39 I wouldn't hesitate, but I keep thinking of what else $49 would buy.....

Hoping some of you all try it out and let me know your opinions on the upgrade.
10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Back on topic - it looks to me that if you are going from v6 to v8, it would be $99 until Nov 15th, then the normal price of $169.
$99 is the special price offered to first time buyers. I was wondering whether they made the $49 offer to v6 users. (I can't know, since I have v7.)
10-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I think I might skip this upgrade... Does anyone if they offer a $49 upgrade for vs. 8 to those who skipped vs. 7? Because if I have to pay full price for the next upgrade (planning to upgrade my camera in a year or so), I might as well get this one.
You can log into your customer account and it should show you what your upgrade price is. If, for some reason, you don't have a customer account, you could probably e-mail them and ask what the upgrade price for a v6 user is.

Last edited by MPrince; 10-31-2012 at 03:03 AM.
10-31-2012, 03:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm not really sure if I am going to upgrade either. When I was using the more "consumer type" lenses (DA 55-300, DA 16-45) I found DxO to be fantastic with the stock corrections which really made the images shine. But now that I have mostly DA* glass, I don't find the DxO effect to make a whole lot of difference
I purchased Optics Pro when I saw an example of what it could do with the DA 18-135. I don't have any * glass, but recently used the program on a photo taken with the DA 70 and was surprised at the results. Now I use Optics Pro for all my raw processing, then finish up with PSE if I need to do any masking or other work requiring layers, such as B&W conversions.
10-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You can log into your customer account and it should show you what your upgrade price is. If, for some reason, you don't have a customer account, you could probably e-mail them and ask what the upgrade price for a v6 user is.
I have v7, and I intend to skip v8. (My only supported lens is DA 40, and I can't see much before/ after difference. The rest of my lenses are Samyangs and old manual lenses.) I might want to get v9 next year if I upgrade my camera and buy a zoom. That's why I was asking if anyone was upgrading from v6 to v8: I suppose they'll offer a similar deal to those who will want to upgrade from v7 to v9.
10-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I have v7, and I intend to skip v8. (My only supported lens is DA 40, and I can't see much before/ after difference. The rest of my lenses are Samyangs and old manual lenses.) I might want to get v9 next year if I upgrade my camera and buy a zoom. That's why I was asking if anyone was upgrading from v6 to v8: I suppose they'll offer a similar deal to those who will want to upgrade from v7 to v9.
Ahh, I misread your post. I thought you had v6.
10-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #29

i have used DXO for a couple of day and i cant get used to "smart" exposure, it consistenly underexpose most of my pictures, to solve this i have created a couple of preset with no exposure compensation or center weight, which in my opinion es more reliable en most pictures.
In the other hand, the dxo lighting seems superior to version 7 and the auto noise reduction its look less agressive, so i think i will buy it this week
11-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I just downloaded and upgraded to v8. The Aust dollar is good at the moment with the USD, so the upgrade price was bearable...

I don't want to sound grumpy and negative, but...I am underwhelmed by DxO v8. All the presets are identical, all the palette controls are just about identical, the new 'Smart Lighting' was also a let down - barely different to the old DxO default rendering for most scenes. Etc. No big innovations or improvements.

The main changes seem cosmetic UI ones. That is all I noticed. Maybe v8.1 will deliver more.