Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Software Advice Please

As a new user of K10 I would appreciate some advice as to a good software package for importing and converting raw files from this camera. I have Potoshop 7 which I do not find user friendly or fast. It does not open my raw files in DNG.
Cheers, Josh.

02-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new Adobe Camera Raw is an amazing raw processor (4.1). To get it in a program that is easy to use and will help catalog all your files I recommend Photoshop Elements 6. It will catalog your photos, give you access to ACR 4.1, and do most of the things you would use Photoshop for, but is under $100 and is very easy to use. You can get a trial version at Adobe's website so you can use it first. Trial version is complete, but stops working after 30 days.

There is Adobe Lightroom, Lightzone, ACDSee Pro, and others, but they leave you still needing Photoshop (or facsimile) for many things. I use and like Lightroom, but I still end up in Photoshop quite a bit. If Elements is to your liking it should be all you need.

Just my opinion.
02-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd add Bibble Pro and CaptureOne which are both good programs and consitantly get solid reviews. I tested them out a few months back and was pleased with the output. They are both available for Windows and Mac (Bibble is also on Linux I think). If you're on Mac I would strongly recommend RAW Developer as an option. All of these programs have demo versions, so I'd just down load them and see which ones you like best for interface and output. DxO Lens Lab is another one that many people like as well. Of the ones mentioned by davemadsn Lightzone comes the closet to Photoshop in pixel editing functions. It takes a very different approach and might be to your liking.
02-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #4

For starting out I would get Elements. Its an organizer and photoshoper type program. For a bit more I'd get LightRoom. And If you want just editing CaptureOne.

Thanks

02-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Lightroom hands down. A lot of the basic tweaking and RAW manipulation can be done in LR without the use of Photoshop CS2 or CS3. LR excels as a photo database to manage your photo collection. However if you want further functionality, then getting Photoshop is the way to go.
02-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use Idimager lite to catalog my photos. It also does a number of basic image edits that I use all the time. It is allot like a basic version of Lightroom. (everyone please note the word BASIC! I have tried the Lightroom demo and love it but cannot afford it.)

For more intense editing i use Gimp. I like that the Gimp comunity has allot of plugins available, and so far it does everything I have needed. The clone tool is my K100d's dust reduction system!

For RAW files I have just started using Raw Therapee. So far it does allot more then I had expected. It does more then I understand. For now it is all I need.

As I learn how to use these tools, I expect I'll find cases where I will be limited. Then I will start to look at buying some software. But so far, the software I am using has exceded my expectations tenfold. These are all free downloads.

If I had the cash, or could get a student version, my dream system would be Lightroom, with Photoshp CS3, and Adobe Bridge. I have no idea what Bridge is used for, but remeber this is just a dream.

I do know that software can be a very personal thing. So, take the time to try the demos before you buy. That is if you buy... Rember to look at the help files, consider customization, how is the toolbar layout, do YOU find it intuitive? During the demo and trial period, do you look forward to using one package over another? Does the software ultimatly do what you want?

I'm note sure why I wrote all this when the question was "what do you use for RAW". So, for your question: I use Raw Therapee.

Eric.
02-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Guys, most helpful, will consider your advice.
Cheers, Josh.

02-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Lightroom!!!