Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
While at some point I will switch to a SSD, I'd read some analysis that suggests that the HD is not a critical performance component for LR.

Refer: Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? | Computer Darkroom

Yes I have read analysis that reflects what you've read, as well as numerous first-person accounts of more-than-significant improvement. Personally, I have experienced outstanding performance on my computer using an SSD in the way I've suggested with LR 4.x managing over 110,000 images. That said, my computer itself is new with 16GB RAM and a very fast Sandy Bridge CPU, and I've never done pre/post SSD LR performance testing, so I cannot point to the SSD alone as the difference maker.
Still, you cannot go wrong with an SSD (plus they are so cheap now) and you will be able to use it with your next computer.

M

11-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
For me, LR4 64bit is slower than version 3 on the same machine. I also like the additional features in version 4 but I. am very frustrated when the LR freezes While performing some tasks. V3 did not exhibit the same issues.

IMHO. If you are are using the program mostly as a image database then I would stick with version 3. If you're using the program for editing or enhancements in I would use version 4.
11-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am using LR3.6 and I still refuse to move up to 4, I tried it once and for 1 I did not like it, I guess I got used to the controls of LR3, I felt like it was missing something. LR4 really slowed my computer down and it was aggravating, so I uninstalled it and reloaded my LR3.6 which I kept a back up copy of.
I am running off a three year old HP laptop that I really never had any problems with, it has an AMD Turion dual core processor at 2.2 GHz, I upgraded my memory last year to 8 GB, from 4 GB. It seems to handle LR3.6 along with my Wacom Intous 4 graphics tablet just fine. and it even does good in Photoshop even when I have a large project going on with lots of different layers. I have had it multitasking with my browser open, Illustrator, photoshop, Lightroom, Adobe Acrobat pro, all running at the same time on dual monitors!
I just learned way back to just keep all unessential programs from running in the back ground.
I am looking to build a "photo/graphics design" only computer soon and THAT is all that it is going to be dedicated for.....nothing else. I am going to get as powerful of a build as I can afford, maybe then I will move up to LR4, too bad I got way too used to LR3.6.
11-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My experience also is that LR4.2 is noticably laggier than LR3.6, but I do think the new Develop Engine is better. I avoided LR4.0 and 4.1 because of all the complaints about performance and bought 4.2 as user feedback suggested the performance issues appeared to have been addressed. Blown out whites recovery in LR4 is quite impressive and the Shadows and Highlights sliders don't overlap in the mid-tones anywhere as near as much, giving much more independence of adjustment when working on shadows vs light tones. I do need to address RAM availability though with my setup.

11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I must admit LR 4.2 works just fine for me on my iMac running OS Mountain Lion, with both Bridge and CS6 running simultaneously.

A fast processor, half decent graphics card and a bucket load of ram makes a big difference. I sure that I read somewhere the latest Adobe software will use as much ram as you can throw at them.