Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting RAW with the Q - software and files questions

I was hesitating to start this thread here because it as also a "Q" thread but it is specifically about RAW files and the software used.

So: what software do you use to open/work on the Q RAW files?

I have Photoshop CS5 (not yet updated) and PDCU (the one I use for my K5 and K7 files): would that do?

I had browsed this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/4069...-shooters.html but it seems to have "degenerated" into a full-fledged RAW discussion reather than specifically for the Q.

Thanks,

JP

11-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Lightroom 3 for most if not all files. That includes my K5 and Q.
11-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Since the Q only shoots in the .DNG format for raw, which is Adobe's open standard, there is no need to look for an update for CS5 to read the files. There may be some information that will be better interpreted by later DNG readers, but the images are always readable by Adobe software from the past few years. Pentax is way ahead of the market (which is generally lagging behind in raw formats) on this one. I think the K-5II series will be the last Pentax digitals to use .PEF, but I have no quote to back this up...

Oh yeah, I use Photoshop CS6 (or more correctly, Adobe Camera Raw 7).
11-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I use Lightroom 4 (LR4). The 01 Prime has a fair amount of distortion and vignetting that are both corrected with a checkbox in LR4.

11-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Since the Q only shoots in the .DNG format for raw, which is Adobe's open standard, there is no need to look for an update for CS5 to read the files. There may be some information that will be better interpreted by later DNG readers, but the images are always readable by Adobe software from the past few years. Pentax is way ahead of the market (which is generally lagging behind in raw formats) on this one. I think the K-5II series will be the last Pentax digitals to use .PEF, but I have no quote to back this up...

Oh yeah, I use Photoshop CS6 (or more correctly, Adobe Camera Raw 7).
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I use Lightroom 4 (LR4). The 01 Prime has a fair amount of distortion and vignetting that are both corrected with a checkbox in LR4.
Thanks guys ... on we go with CS5 then, just like I do with the K7/K5.
BYW, I set up all my Pentax cameras in DNG (I quit PEF a while back).

JP