Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Ooh, sweeping statement! Not true in my case, and if we're talking personal setups, as this is, you can arrange it to be so.

Live long and prosper!
Hi

Too right. I have a dedicated room where I can control ambient light, my monitor is anti glare coated and I use a black monitor hood.

But I dare say most people won't be able to set themselves up like this or have even thought about it. For this reason then, I would advise people to seriously consider anti glare coated monitors. It does help a bit.

Greetings

11-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are video cards important for graphics work and things like photoshop? I always thought that once you have a good amount of ram, its better to invest in a graphics card than more ram
11-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Advisory only, if the OP isn't used to building their own PC.

There's a lot to be said for the Mac Mini, but the iMac's glossy screen is only an issue if there are light sources behind you, in my experience.
Was talking about the "post power-pc" thing you said, it seems essential in your comment but i can't understand why that matters.

It indeed depends on the light situation if glossy is a problem but often it is though, but lets see how the new iMacs screens are.
But the old ones i simply can not recommend for serious graphics work because of the glossy screen and only sRGB colour space.

Last edited by Anvh; 11-27-2012 at 08:26 AM.
11-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are video cards important for graphics work and things like photoshop? I always thought that once you have a good amount of ram, its better to invest in a graphics card than more ram
With current software the graphics card is indeed used but you don't need a big one for photography work, low mid range is often enough except when you also want to do video.
But for video you also need better processor, more RAM and more storage.

Any way RAM is very cheap these days, for 16gb you would have enough with $70 most likely, don't know the American prices.

11-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The next iMac goes on sale this Friday and, according to Apple at least, has a screen with 75% lower reflectance.

The Mac Pro was mentioned earlier in this thread and it was reported today that new possible evidence of an update surfaced this week. The OS X 10.8.3 developer beta contains a driver for a high end AMD graphics card (Radion HD 7900 series) that conceivably would only be used in a Mac Pro, but is not today. Obviously a Mac Pro is a big-bucks solution to the OP's question but this new info dovetails with Apple's statement last summer that a new Mac Pro (all-new design?) is coming.
11-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
Inactive Account

My take:

iMac: Great general computer—but smarter option is…
Mac Mini + Thunderbolt Display: more or less equivalent to the iMac (i.e., glossy display, similar power, etc.), but more flexible in the long run. 16GB of RAM is very affordable (macsales.com = good source)
Mac Pro: If you can afford it and want power, this is your move. I am approaching the 5-year mark with my Mac Pro (early 2008)—and it's still a monster. Fast (24 GB of RAM), extensible (5 hard drives, including 2 SSDs), etc. If you can wait until next year (rumored new model), then do.