Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Ink jet makers which allow third party cartridges

I am purchasing a new printer for normal and phot use. I know that some ink jet printer makers prevent the user from installing third party cartridges, eg. so they can sell their own ink. Does anyone know which makers, if any, will accept third party cartridges?

Thanks

11-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

How about the Epson R3000 and R2000? There are many third party ink sets you can buy for them. It might not be an exact match to OEM ink, but they are cheap. Those units even support CIS should you want a solution that is even more economical.
11-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Epson printers have always accepted third party inks. My present one included, a 1400 wide format, I use 123inkjets.com
11-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

You can find third-party cartridges that will work in just about any printer. The 3rd party cartridges in my HP have a smart chip on them and it says "Genuine HP cartridge" installed on the status panel. I can't refill the cartridges because of the chip. Costco and many other stores offer a refill service, however they cannot refill smart-chip cartridges either.

Amazon is a good source and you can get an idea of which ones to avoid by reading the customer reviews.

11-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
I am purchasing a new printer for normal and phot use. I know that some ink jet printer makers prevent the user from installing third party cartridges, eg. so they can sell their own ink. Does anyone know which makers, if any, will accept third party cartridges?

Thanks
What kind of printer inkset model are you shopping for, dye or pigment?

M
12-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote

Thanks
There are 3rd party cartridge makers and ink sellers that use a chip in their cartridges. I wouldn't expect such supplies for every make of printer however, be sure you check the various ink sellers to see what makes and models they support. I bought an Epson R3000 and have refillable cartridges on order inkjetmall.com

Love my R3000 and they presently have a $200 rebate on it. still a bit spendy however.

good luck in your search.
12-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the information. I am not looking for a dedicated photo printer, but a printer that I can use for normal work and also print a few proof 8x10 - 11x14.
12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In this case I would recommend AIO Epson Artisan 835 or maybe they are up to 837 now. It does about everything, scan, fax etc... The photos it prints on photo paper are amazing.
I've a RIHAC CISS System and love it. The initial buy in was steep, but in the long run is cheap. The inks are great, but not exact much and produced slightly magenta colours.
Since I had Colormunki, I was able to calibrate the different types of papers and it showed in ICC profiles that the aftermarket inks had much wider/bigger gamut than the OEM inks.
Which is a big plus, overall I'm very happy with my purchase.