Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Calibrating my Monitor

I had been wanting to upgrade my monitor for awhile, and last week I found a good deal on a Dell S2240M. So far the color seems a lot better (IPS) and I like the wide viewing angle. The full HD is also nice since it makes the screen feel less cluttered in Photoshop and other programs. But I know I still need to calibrate the monitor, something I've never done before. Spyder seems to be the most popular calibration system. I was thinking of buying an older version used to save money. Does anyone know if the newer version (4) is significantly better than the older versions? I know they claim it is improved but is it worth the extra money? Whenever I've ordered prints in the past the first thing I notice is the prints are a lot darker than the screen. Will calibrating my monitor fix this problem?

12-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Calibrating your monitor is a must. Your prints will be way out of whack until you calibrate. Once you calibrate you will see the results automatically and you'll see how dramatic the change is a well. I personally have the Spyder Express 3 and use it at least once a month. I can't speak for the newer versions but mine works perfectly fine. It's like the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
12-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cannot help with version 4 but I'm a satisfied Spyder 3 user.
12-01-2012, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
I had been wanting to upgrade my monitor for awhile, and last week I found a good deal on a Dell S2240M. So far the color seems a lot better (IPS) and I like the wide viewing angle. The full HD is also nice since it makes the screen feel less cluttered in Photoshop and other programs. But I know I still need to calibrate the monitor, something I've never done before. Spyder seems to be the most popular calibration system. I was thinking of buying an older version used to save money. Does anyone know if the newer version (4) is significantly better than the older versions? I know they claim it is improved but is it worth the extra money? Whenever I've ordered prints in the past the first thing I notice is the prints are a lot darker than the screen. Will calibrating my monitor fix this problem?
You mentioned "ordering" prints. In that case, it will be hit and miss. The whole process from capture to print needs to be calibrated. In theory, sending a properly prepared file out to a good printer should match if the printshop you are using is doing things properly (big question mark there, even for "professional" printshops). Sending a proof along with the file to be printed is still a really good practice, though. If you have a printer that can produce a good proof, however, chances are you wouldn't be in need of sending out for prints.

I'm not saying you cannot continue to order prints and that you won't be satisfied; you may be very satisfied. It will be hit and/or miss, however. Either way, you do need to calibrate that monitor to even have a snowball's chance. Speaking of which, I am overdue for a calibration myself . . . I'm using a very old Spyder with some free software ( dispcalGUI?Open Source Display Calibration and Characterization powered by Argyll CMS ) which works very well. I've also got a very old Dell (ips) monitor that needs to be retired (badly), and printing on an Epson 13x19 pigment printer. It is, despite not being ideal mostly due to aging equipment, still working very well.

All of that . . . to say . . . I'm confident the older version Spyder will be adequate to meet your needs. Save your money and go with the cheaper option.

12-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get the latest version. Compatibility with future computer OS versions will be more assured. From what I've read, version 4 measures ambient light more accurately. Over the useful life of your monitor, the added cost is minimal.

M
12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brntoki Quote
I'm not saying you cannot continue to order prints and that you won't be satisfied; you may be very satisfied. It will be hit and/or miss, however. Either way, you do need to calibrate that monitor to even have a snowball's chance. Speaking of which, I am overdue for a calibration myself . . . I'm using a very old Spyder with some free software ( dispcalGUI?Open Source Display Calibration and Characterization powered by Argyll CMS ) which works very well.
Thank you! I have thinking about this too and was wondering if there was something open source. Sounds like good compatibility to me. I will be able to use it with my Linux Mint - have no desire to buy Windows 8.
12-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Thank you! I have thinking about this too and was wondering if there was something open source. Sounds like good compatibility to me. I will be able to use it with my Linux Mint - have no desire to buy Windows 8.
That's how I initially came across the open source solution. I was Ubuntu/Mint/Some-other-stuff and off Windows completely for quite some time and needed something. I'm now back on XP x64 (hassle trying to get/keep Photoshop working well in Linux), but the software works really well on Windows and it's better than the cheap and old ColorPlus software that came with my Spyder2.

12-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
krp
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'll try to buy Spyder 3 then, I don't plan on upgrading to Windows 8 anytime soon. I always knew I should calibrate my monitor but I guess I didn't think it was worth it until I got a better monitor.