12-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lightroom 4.2 Does not Recognize PEF raw file

How about yours? How to work around?

12-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a K-5 II/s, ACR doesn't officially support it yet. There's a release candidate version that does, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got my K5IIs and discovered the same thing. What do you mean Adam by a candidate version? Is this something we can access?

Am I going to run into compatibility issues with CS5, and having a RAW plugin that works with both CS5 and LR4?
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is interesting is that BHPhoto suggested buying the two together....

12-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Copied and pasted direct from Pentax Digital Camera Utility Help file:

Convert a PENTAX RAW file to a DNG RAW file
You can convert a selected PENTAX RAW file to a DNG RAW file and save it as a separate file.
Tip:
DNG (Digital Negative) is a general-purpose, public domain RAW file format designed by Adobe Systems.
(1) Select the image to convert to a DNG RAW file in File List Page.
(2) Select [Save as DNG] from the [Tools] menu.

Alternatively, click the image to convert to a DNG file while holding down the control key and select [Save as DNG] from the menu that appears.
(3) Specify the save destination and file name in the [Save as DNG] dialog.

When using [Save as DNG] for multiple images, the following options are available.
To save the file with the file name of the original file, select [Use original file name]. For example, if the original file name is "IMGP0001.pef", the file name of the extracted JPEG file will be "IMG0001.dng".
To save the file with a different file name, select [Rename]. In this case, specify [Base file name] (file name prefix), [Number of digits] (number of digits for number following the base file name) and [Start number] (number following the base file name). The file name assigned to each image consists of the [Base file name] and [Start number], which increases incrementally.

Also, you can just set the camera to shoot in DNG, so this step won't be needed in the future.
12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why didn't I think of just shooting in DNG! Will do it!!

Thanks, Calsan!
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

I keep my camera set to save as .dng files instead of .pef. I run into a lot fewer problems trying to open them on different computers running various versions of software that way.

12-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

When you import to LR, convert (copy) automatically to DNG
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
What do you mean Adam by a candidate version? Is this something we can access?
Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 7.3 Release Candidate

Also for Lightroom:
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidate

New Camera Support

The following new cameras are now supported:
Canon PowerShot S110
Canon PowerShot G15
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000
Casio Exilim EX-FC300S
Nikon D600*
Olympus PEN E-PL5
Olympus PEN E-PM2
Olympus STYLUS XZ-2 iHS
Panasonic DMC-GH3
Pentax K-5 II
Pentax K-5 IIs
Pentax Q10

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidate be installed alongside Lightroom 4.2?
By default, the Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidate for both Windows and Mac will remove or overwrite your existing Lightroom 4 installation. If you wish to return to Lightroom 4 after installing Lightroom 4.3, simply reinstall Lightroom 4 from your original download after uninstalling Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidate.

Both versions of the application share the same catalog format allowing your catalogs to be opened by either version without complications.

When will the Camera Raw 7.3 release candidate and Lightroom 4.3 release candidate expire?
1/31/2013

Will there be an upgrade charge for the final Lightroom 4.3 Release?
No, Lightroom 4.3 will be a free update for all current Lightroom 4 customers.
12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was told that PEF is better than DNG so that is why I wanted to try PEF to compare.

No worries I shall wait for the support later on....
12-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
Why didn't I think of just shooting in DNG! Will do it!!

Thanks, Calsan!
I've pretty much given up on PEF (or any other mfr format) and shoot only DNG. I'm tired of having to upgrade all the software every time I buy a camera.
12-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've pretty much given up on PEF (or any other mfr format) and shoot only DNG. I'm tired of having to upgrade all the software every time I buy a camera.
Yeah, it makes sense if you're a Lightroom or Photoshop user as it saves you an extra step in PP and you're always upgraded. Of course, if you aren't using Adobe software, then PEF might make sense.
12-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
if you aren't using Adobe software, then PEF might make sense.
Why? PEF still has to be added to any other software, other than PDCU, every time a camera is upgraded. DNG is supported by most PP software. Besides, if you look at what Ricoh was doing before acquiring Pentax and what they have done since, PEF isn't going to be around much longer anyway.
12-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why? PEF still has to be added to any other software, other than PDCU, every time a camera is upgraded. DNG is supported by most PP software. Besides, if you look at what Ricoh was doing before acquiring Pentax and what they have done since, PEF isn't going to be around much longer anyway.
Even if you are using Pentax software, you have to make sure you are using the latest version to catch the latest PEF. I just don't see the upside which merits the annoyance.

I'm no engineer, but I wonder why PEF has to change with every camera model, when DNG stays the same.
12-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My only reason for for a "might" is that I've been considering a tablet and have been looking at current available tablets and apps and have run across a few photo apps that don't support DNG. I no longer use PEF myself.