Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #1

Gimp users

I just installed Gimp on my Win XP machine and now whenever I click on a picture it automatically opens in gimp. How do I shut that off? I had it on this machine before I lost my HD, and it never did that before.

Thanks!

BTW, my Vista machine has photoshop and Gimp and neither opens when Iclick on a picture. Gimp didn't give me the option of choosing what files automatically open in it on this one.

02-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by lost Quote
I just installed Gimp on my Win XP machine and now whenever I click on a picture it automatically opens in gimp. How do I shut that off? I had it on this machine before I lost my HD, and it never did that before.

Thanks!

BTW, my Vista machine has photoshop and Gimp and neither opens when Iclick on a picture. Gimp didn't give me the option of choosing what files automatically open in it on this one.
Check under GIMP's options\settings\preferences for file assosiation. Or right click an image file > properties and you should be able to set what program the file opens with by default.

Thanks
02-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you open any folder, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types. This gives you a list of all the file types on your computer. Select which file type you want to modify (you can type the first letter of the file type to jump the the first file type that starts with that letter), Select 'Change' in the middle of the window, select 'Select program from list' (if it opens the window that asks you if you want to browse the internet to try and find the appropriate program), then select the program you want to handle your files. I'll have both gimp and photoshop on my computer, but I'll let the Windows Picture and Fax viewer be the default application so that I can quickly view my pictures without opening gimp or photoshop.
02-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both! I actually didn't see the options tab in Gimp to do it the way Mikhail suggested, but Clawhammer's did the trick.
I actually prefer Windows picture and fax viewer to be default too.

Thanks again

02-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It is quicker, but I wish M$ had coverflow...
02-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you haven't tried FastStone Image Viewer for Windows, you really should give it a try. Free for home users (Win), I've found it to be a really slick program. Opens PEF Raw images, creates slide shows with ease, plus desktop backgrounds in a snap. Best of all it's got a very straight forward image editor. For the price, it blows the socks of anything M$ can provide.
Have Fun!
02-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
I will check it out, thanks!

02-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
If you haven't tried FastStone Image Viewer for Windows, you really should give it a try.
If Picasa displayed PEF EXIF it would be great. But it doesn't. And so...

Seconded!
02-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
Well, I downloaded the FasStone viewer as well as the resizer and they work great for the little I have played with them. Will have to spend some time working with them this weekend and learn a little more about how they work.

Thanks for the help!