Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ipad or Samsung Galaxy Note?

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but which tablet is better for the photographer - ipad or Samsung Note?

I wont be using it for photo editing, but more as a display method for clients, etc.

I like the ipad because I've got a macbook and they'll sync using icloud, etc. But, I don't keep my pics on my laptop - I back them up (twice) asap onto removable hard drives.

I like the Samsung because it has removable storage (micro SD slot) and I can plug a camera card directly into it to display pics immediately.

Can you view, edit and create Word documents using them?

I'm erring on the side of the Samsung and was just wondering how others with experience of these feel.

Thanks in advance,

The Kellyboy.

12-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can get a very inexpensive attachment for the iPad that will allow you to pop your SD card into it and see the images on the iPad immediately.
Newgen CRIPAD51 5-in-1 Card Reader for Apple iPad reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #3

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I use the adapter to load shots onto my iPad. For word, excel I use smart office 2. In a few weeks I'll bust open the piggy bank and pick up an iMac.
12-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You may also consider the Windows Surface RT tablet. In addition to the micro SD card slot, it has a full size, fully functional USB port that you can plug in thumb drives, external hard drives or even your camera via USB cable. The kick stand also turns it into a nice "picture frame" for presentations. You can even use wireless pointing devices (e.g. mice) to navigate from a distance.

12-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Frankly, I don't think any of the tablets is "there" yet.

I have access to iPad 2 and iPad with Retina display. Both of them have serious color shift problem (e.g. purple displayed as blue). I haven't found a way to calibrate the display.

Moving files to and from iPad is a PITA. Even emailing photos using the iPad is not fun. You can email photos from the iPad, but ONLY by using the "native" mail account. You can't use a web browser to send photos out. In fact, there is no way to attach anything to an email message.

Note that the new iPad models (with Retina display and also the iPad Mini I think) use Lightning port, not the same port as the iPad 2.
12-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Frankly, I don't think any of the tablets is "there" yet.

I have access to iPad 2 and iPad with Retina display. Both of them have serious color shift problem (e.g. purple displayed as blue). I haven't found a way to calibrate the display.

Moving files to and from iPad is a PITA. Even emailing photos using the iPad is not fun. You can email photos from the iPad, but ONLY by using the "native" mail account. You can't use a web browser to send photos out. In fact, there is no way to attach anything to an email message.

Note that the new iPad models (with Retina display and also the iPad Mini I think) use Lightning port, not the same port as the iPad 2.
As for the color correction - ok, no idea.

As for getting photos onto the iPad - unless you use a device like I linked to for <$5 it is a genuine Apple PITA for sure. Apple is SO controlling of content that you'd think they still owned the device you purchased. But with the little doggle I linked to you can do SD and other card types or USB devices. That makes putting pics on the iPad much more functional and less time consuming.
12-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lot of folks are still using older wire-based models for iPad file management. Once you set up a cloud solution like Dropbox or Box, file transfer is a lot easier.

A remote desktop control app like Logmein lets you access anything else you may need off your other computers, as long as they are connected.

Cloud On provides excellent MS Office functionality. I use it a lot In conjunction with Dropbox.

There are several portfolio apps out there for photographers; I'm quite happy creating .pdf slide shows on demand and using one of too many apps for image presentation. PDF is the lingua franca of the iPad universe.

Though the iPad and the other knockoffs have nice IPS screens, the lack of color management means that image rendition will be less than what it could be sadly. Anything intended for my IPad is processed as for the web: sRGB. Overall, I'd say the iPad still has a ways to go for stellar photography presentation.

M

12-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I wouldn't want to display photos on my Galaxy Note. It's too small.

The Nexus 10 has the highest resolution, but I haven't heard about how accurate the colour is. Also, it has no card slot.

I'm waiting for the Asus Transformer Book, though you could also consider the Lenovo Yoga. Both will run regular MS Word and have card slots and HDMI out.
12-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I wouldn't want to display photos on my Galaxy Note. It's too small.

The Nexus 10 has the highest resolution, but I haven't heard about how accurate the colour is. Also, it has no card slot.

I'm waiting for the Asus Transformer Book, though you could also consider the Lenovo Yoga. Both will run regular MS Word and have card slots and HDMI out.
Ah, but if they had HDMI IN they'd be worth a look. Until then I'll stick with the iPad.
12-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
As for the color correction - ok, no idea.

As for getting photos onto the iPad - unless you use a device like I linked to for <$5 it is a genuine Apple PITA for sure. Apple is SO controlling of content that you'd think they still owned the device you purchased. But with the little doggle I linked to you can do SD and other card types or USB devices. That makes putting pics on the iPad much more functional and less time consuming.
The weird thing is that the files can't be renamed. So as long as your file is named something like IMGP3578, it will load them OK, but if you rename them to any other format, then it won't load them. Even to a file name like IMGP3578-copy. To me, it should allow all jpegs to load, regardless of their names, but it doesn't.
12-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The weird thing is that the files can't be renamed. So as long as your file is named something like IMGP3578, it will load them OK, but if you rename them to any other format, then it won't load them. Even to a file name like IMGP3578-copy. To me, it should allow all jpegs to load, regardless of their names, but it doesn't.
Like I said, Apple still treats the equipment like they own it. I use my iPad as a substitute for my morning paper, to read posts here in the late evening, and occasionally to reply to email. Other than that I see it as useless because of Apple's insistance that I go through their online cloud to do anything useful. That's part of why I am a BIG fan of that little $4 doggle I referenced.Back years ago when I had the time I used Linux because of its immense user database and flexibility. Now I use Windows (but NOT 8) because I have too many responsibilities to keep up more than one hobby. I've tried Android pads in the past and each was just a disaster IMHO - why do you think so many are selling for $69 with amazing, on paper, specs?
12-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm pretty happy with my toshiba thrive (10 inch model) - full sized usb port, full sized SD card slot, either of which make storage a breeze. I've ended up sticking a 64gb sandisk card in it permanently, and when travelling/away from home I use a card reader to transfer from the camera's sd card to the tablet (if I'm not using my eye-fi card to directly upload to the tablet already).
12-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
The current MS Surface RT will do all that (and will accept a variety of other storage/input devices via standard USB) at an attractive price.
12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get an ASUS TF700 (Android) and you'll be all set.
Mind you, the Samsung is no slouch eiter.

I recommend the optional keyboard which allows for more battery life (up to 14 hours) and more connecting ports.

I have the TF700: great machine! Great camera on board, fast, easy to load/transfer files of any sort, full HD, etc ...

JP
12-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There is a war on, and make no mistake.

ARM vs Intel.

Apple is Intel's best-known customer, yet Apple makes more profit from ARM devices than Intel devices.

The writing is on the wall.

I have no idea who is going to win, but the new Intel Haswell stuff, and its successors, are going to be fast, energy efficient and necessarily cheap.

We ain't seen nothing yet. Hold onto your hats.