Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aperture 2

Apple released Aperture 2 yesterday. Havn't had a chance to play with it yet (needing to do a clean install of leopard on my mac) but it looks like quite the improvment, and they dropped the price to 200 (100 upgrade). Looks pretty sweet.

Apple's Aperture site

edit: Ok, so just spent some time with the demo.... Wow, this is what Aperture is supposed to be. Speed is amazing, and this is on a regular ol' macbook with a 2.16 ghz c2d and the intel integrated graphics (blegch!). On 1.5.6, whenever I used the 'Straighten' tool, I would move the mouse, to one side or the other to indicate the amount of straightening, and it would often take a second or two for the image to respond; on 2, it's instantaneous. Quick preview is amazing and great for quickly choosing which files you want to keep and which to toss.

The interface has received a rather hefty facelift and is now less cluttered (boy, that really is a reviewing buzzword, isn't it?). I'm less intimidated by everything. By combining the library, inspector, and adjustments windows into one tabbed window it now makes a lot more efficient use of the limited screen space on my 13" screen. Definately a worthwhile upgrade.

Note: If you've got 1.x and you download the trial, you can NOT import your 1.x library, which is kinda dumb, and there may be issues with having two versions of the same program in the Applications folder (the email I received said that you should rename the 1.x version). Definitely backup your library (via vault or just copy the ApertureLibrary.aplibrary package from ~/Pictures to another location (depending on the size, it can take a while- it took me about 50 minutes to copy a 50GB library from an external drive).

Last edited by clawhammer; 02-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
02-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #2

Thanks for your quick "review"! Ive been using ACDSee and ACR (ditched LR, too slow) as a editing\organizing combo but if Aperture is really as fast as people are saying it is... Darn and I was planning on getting a new lens... choices choices choices.

Thanks

PS. Wonder if I can get it to run in Linux...
02-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
PS. Wonder if I can get it to run in Linux...
There are ways to get Mac OS X to run in VM Ware under Linux
02-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, you can always use the X11 enviroment in OSX to run your favorite linux apps Kinda ruins the fun though.

02-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using the A2 trial for a couple days and am so pleased I ordered my disk tonight. I couldn't even use 1.5 due to speed issues and lack of certain adjustment tools. V2 is amazing. I have been complaining how Lr doesn't integrate with iLife and iWork, which I use quite a bit. Aperture's new adjustment tools put it past ACR for me so now I can have great images and have access to them almost anywhere on my computer without having to export extra copies. And it's speed is so much better than 1.5. New price pushed me over the edge.
02-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #6

I started playing with Aperture 2 trial yesterday, I've never tried any other version of Aperture so I don't have anything to compare to, but it does seem speedy on my first generation 2GHz MacBook w/ 1.25 GB RAM. It's pretty easily to use, I ended up spending a lot more time on it than I had planned and made some edits to dozens of photos in a short time. Pretty slick, I like it, maybe more so than Lightroom.

There are a few things I couldn't figure out that maybe you guys can help me:

1) How do I make edits to multiple photos at once? I have groups of photos that I want to make the same edits to, such as white balance since they were taken under the same lighting conditions. However, I can only make an edit to one photo at a time, even with presets.

Nevermind on #1, I just found the answer on Apple's video tutorials, the feature I want is called Lift and Stamp.

2) How do I make certain controls display permanently in the Adjustments tab? For example, I want De-Vignette, Sharpen, and Noise Reduction to always display, but I have to reactivate those controls each time I move to a new photo.

Thanks.

Alex

Last edited by AlexL; 02-15-2008 at 02:55 PM.
02-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Alex, I wish I new the answer to #2. I knew #1, but you figured it out already. There are keyboard shortcuts to make the bricks appear, but I haven't seen a preference that has them show up automatically.

03-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #8

Permanent adjustments...

I would like to know the answer to that one as welll....obviously one could generate a very general Lift and Stamp...but that is not quite the same workflow as what you are talking about.
03-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #9

Wow, Apple is really cranking out the updates!

They just updated it to 2.1 (free upgrade for all Aperture 2.0 users), and it now lets me set which adjustment "bricks" show up as default. So this addresses my question #1 from a month ago!

This update also turns on image editing plug-ins, so that should be really interesting: Rob Galbraith DPI: Image editing plug-ins the centrepiece of Aperture 2.1
03-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

There have been several updates effecting digital photography coming from Apple lately. They are really showing some commitment to this area. OS X 10.5.3 is already being tested and expected to be available soon. I'm hoping it has native support for the new K20.
03-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #11

I am really considering trying a mac. Can some of you macophiles suggest what are the best bang for the buck mac's out there?
03-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
I am really considering trying a mac. Can some of you macophiles suggest what are the best bang for the buck mac's out there?
It would help if you tell us about the kinds of things you do or want to do in a computer, whether you prefer a laptop or desktop.

But in overview, there are 6 models; 3 desktop and 3 portables:

The iMac desktops and MacBook portables are probably the most bang for the buck. If you don't have a preference for either laptop or desktop, then the iMac would give you the most for the amount of money over the MacBook (bigger built-in screen, larger hard-drive, dedicated graphics card, etc.). Both machines also have glossy screens.

The Mac Pro desktop (sans monitor) and MacBook Pro portables are pretty powerful machines, but you pay quite a bit more for that.

The MacBook Air is designed for people willing to pay a premium for the lightest machine possible, so that's probably not what you're looking for.

There was a time that the Mac Mini would have been a great budget machine, but Apple has done a poor job with keeping it updated; it's quite behind the other Macs in performance, hard-drive, etc. It is the most inexpensive Mac, but honestly I would pay a little bit more to get a MacBook or iMac. Rumor has it that a major upgrade is in the works, but who knows when that's gonna happen; Apple is notoriously secretive about upgrades.

I personally own a 1st generation MacBook and works great for my photo needs. I also maxed out the RAM to give it a nice boost for an intensive program like Aperture. Word of the wise, NEVER buy extra RAM from Apple, they're overpriced and you can get RAM for a lot less from a major reliable brand. RAM is very easy to install on the Macs.
03-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OT RAM hint

QuoteOriginally posted by gerbilbox Quote
Word of the wise, NEVER buy extra RAM from Apple, they're overpriced and you can get RAM for a lot less from a major reliable brand. RAM is very easy to install on the Macs.
I buy my RAM from crucial.com. Best prices, great service, even cross border. I got 2 Gb for my IBM T60 for $80.
03-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
Forum Member

Beercan.

Just got a re-conditioned 24" iMac from the Apple Store for $1499.00.
With free shipping. Arrived last Saturday by FedX.
The Rep informed me 95% of the returns are within 2 weeks, most never used, or just tried. Any that are returned with something wrong are put back to new specs. Must admit the one I received is just like a new one and they come with the same warranty. Great deal and saves $300.00

I did purchase 4GB of Ram from Crucial. Word of warning, I purchased their on sale RAM, received it, put it in the computer.
A loud bell went off. Removed RAM and replaced, same situation. Also this RAM was very, very tight going in and very hard to remove.

Contacted Crucial right away and was told the RAM usually works in
the 24", however sometimes is rejected due to the way this particular manufacturer builds the RAM. The rep said he would send me a different type build from another company. It was over nighted to me and slipped in like butter with a nice final click. Works perfect. I paid no extra, but obviously a much better product.

I guess the other Ram is real cheap stuff they send out that works most of the time. If it doesn't they replace it with no problem.

In the long run it all worked out better for me.

Rg.