Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saving JPEGS in Aperture

This may be a simple question. I bought the Topaz suite recently. I decided that 2013 would be the year of Post Processing. I want to try to focus on completing the images I take. When I use the Topaz plugins and save back into Aperture, I notice that the file (Tiff) size can be 90-100 MB. The original file was maybe only 10-12 MB (best JPEG) from my K5. I am wanting to move to shooting RAW but I can't imagine the file sizes. It seems even a Terabyte HD will be used up quickly. So my question is: If I am done with all editing of an image is there an easy way to save the images back to Aperture as a JPEG and not a TIFF file?

12-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only way I know of is to Export the Version and then drag it back into the Project.
12-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
When I use the Topaz plugins and save back into Aperture, I notice that the file (Tiff) size can be 90-100 MB. The original file was maybe only 10-12 MB (best JPEG) from my K5. I am wanting to move to shooting RAW but I can't imagine the file sizes.
I haven't done what you have, but I think the TIFFs that originate from RAWs may not be much bigger than ones originating from JPEGs as the TIFF should be in either case the full resolution uncompressed (or reversibly compressed) image. The only difference I can think of is the actual bit depth which would be reduced after the JPEG conversion as compared to the RAW depth, but don't know if that actually affects the TIFF size much.

But IMHO disc space is so cheap today that if one shoots RAW, one should keep the RAW.
12-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try this script, Master Raw >> Master jPEG. Saves a lot of fiddling as well as disk scape. I tend to shoot mostly RAW and use this for the 'snapshots' of the kids, etc.
http://www.apertureexpert.com/applescripts/

12-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Jac: Thanks for the link. I will give it a try. I suppose it will work on TIFF's too.

regarding file size, I am more concerned not with storage but time it takes with the processing of large files. I guess it is time for a new computer.
12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup. It'll work with TIFF files but your processor speed is probably your limiting factor here.
John