Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CMYK edit?

Hi, folks...

Looking for expertise here, before I buy the wrong software...

Situation: at work I have an ancient copy of PhotoShop 6 (yes, 6, not CS6); wasn't new when I started the job that had it on my office computer then, it's been moved to new computers several times (boss won't purchase new version). I also have PSE8 and PSE10. But none of the Elements versions have the "adjust selective color" options that PS6 has. I'm told this is because PSE only handles RGB, and the old "selective color" adjustments were (are) CMYK.

A new version of PS (for me, not for the boss!) is way out of the budget. Do any of the other available editing applications (PaintShop Pro, etc.) have this "selective color" equivalent? Where I can quickly and easily knock some cyan out of too-blue greens in an image (for example)...

Thanks!

12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom 4 can be had at an affordable price and offers quite a number of color editing options. One of its many tools include Hue/Saturation/Luminescence sliders for the colors, which could be what you're looking for.
12-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PSE10 has HSL Blend mode that should come pretty close to what you need to do.

M
12-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

FYI: Selective Color in Photoshop works in RGB or CMYK. The reason it isn't in Elements is just that some things had to be stripped out.

If you're on Windows, look into PaintShop Pro X5. It will probably have all the color adjustment tools you'll need, and it's under $80 (sometimes under $50!).

But, wow... Photoshop 6! I've used every version of Photoshop since v2.5 came on 20-some floppy disks, and I honestly cannot remember what they were like, except for the old "eyeball" icon. Hmm... I think version 3 added layers and Unix support, but since then I just check that my favorite tools haven't "gone missing."

12-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
Lightroom 4 can be had at an affordable price and offers quite a number of color editing options. One of its many tools include Hue/Saturation/Luminescence sliders for the colors, which could be what you're looking for.
Thanks.

PSE has the hue/saturation/luminance sliders, too. Not at all the same thing, unless I am totally misunderstanding how to use those controls (possible). After playing around with them, they change the hue/saturation/luminance for the entire image, not what I want to do. I tried selecting an area of color and using the sliders on that area only, but it just doesn't give me the fine control that I am used to from PS6.

Using the too-blue greens again as an example... at work I do some product photography for our online catalog and some other uses. The "studio" setup (bit of a joke, actually, but I've learned its quirks) lighting often renders greens with waaaay too much cyan. In PS6, I can select "adjust, selective color, greens" and use a percentage slider to reduce the cyan. Takes a few seconds. No masks, layers, no muss or fuss. I only want to adjust the greens. Of course I can adjust other colors, if I want to. And I can adjust overall hue, saturation, etc. on a different set of menus/sliders. It's the "selective color" adjustments that simply do not exist in PSE.

@panoguy... thanks for that info re RGB/CMYK. I understand that many bits of the full-featured package are missing from PSE, I'm just frustrated that the one I use a lot is among them. <arrgh> So maybe the subject title of the thread should be "selective color edit"?

Anyhow, yes, PS6. When I started working at this place, it was on the computer. Still there, still works, although it doesn't "do" RAW, and of course many of the things current versions do. But I'd like to have a competent editing application at home, for myself. PSE is OK for the puttering-around stuff, but I really miss the selective color adjustments.

(photo setup at work is with the company's D80)

Thanks for expertise and suggestions!
12-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

From what I can understand, you're simply having a hue error. Lightroom gives you control over all the major colors within HSL, so you can change the HSL of the green channel to get the desired effect you're looking for, which I'm guessing to be a hue shift of the cyans towards green or the greens toward yellow. Anywho, if you have time, check out youtube for what lightroom can do for you. The videos are both bountiful and informative
12-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. Will investigate that... "simply a hue error"... would be great if it can be adjusted that way. Thank you!