Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #1

Saving jpg

Hi there,

I use PhotoShop CS3 and usually work with 100mb, 16 bit RGB scanned files, saved as tif. I'm also using XP Pro, sp3.

I want to create some canvas prints for Christmas gifts and the web based printers need 8bit, sRGB, jpg files. No problems there. Assign a new profile and boost the colours a bit, reduce to 8 bit and save as a jpg.

But, and here is the thing, when the PS Save As box opens in Explorer and I select the format as jpg, I get a message saying that the file already exists and do I want to overwrite it? Well, it does not exist; if I select No, I'm back to the unsaved image; if I select Yes, an icon for the image appears in Bridge, but there is no file extension and it will not open.

However, if I change the Save As box to 'Use Adobe Dialog', I can save the file as a jpg.

This has only recently happened and I would rather save within the Explore dialog box, as I have always done in the past.

Grateful for any suggestions,

Thanks

Rex

12-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to type the ".jpg" extension in the filename box. CS3 sometimes "forgets" to add it.
12-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Good idea, i'll try that next time it happens.

Rex
12-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rekusu Quote
Hi there,

I use PhotoShop CS3 and usually work with 100mb, 16 bit RGB scanned files, saved as tif. I'm also using XP Pro, sp3.

I want to create some canvas prints for Christmas gifts and the web based printers need 8bit, sRGB, jpg files. No problems there. Assign a new profile and boost the colours a bit, reduce to 8 bit and save as a jpg.

But, and here is the thing, when the PS Save As box opens in Explorer and I select the format as jpg, I get a message saying that the file already exists and do I want to overwrite it? Well, it does not exist; if I select No, I'm back to the unsaved image; if I select Yes, an icon for the image appears in Bridge, but there is no file extension and it will not open.

However, if I change the Save As box to 'Use Adobe Dialog', I can save the file as a jpg.

This has only recently happened and I would rather save within the Explore dialog box, as I have always done in the past.

Grateful for any suggestions,

Thanks

Rex
If needed, I *think* you can rescue any of those orphaned files by just manually editing the file name to add the .jpg extension.

12-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I have not tried adding .jpg to any orphans as there are not so many.

But manually inputting jpg after the file name rather than selecting jpg from the drop-down menu did work. Not how it used to operate but better than nothing.