Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Here's something from the Snapseed FAQs that seems useful for understanding the limits of photo file size on the various iPads:

iPhone and iPad Support | Snapseed

12-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Take a look at the Asus VivoTab (not the 'smart' or 'RT' versions).

It's a Windows PC in a 8.7mm thick tablet. It will run all Windows programs and the new generation of Atom chips are surprisingly speedy.

I'm typing this on one. I really like it.

Meet VivoTab? Series ? Three new Windows 8 Tablets designed for both work & play
01-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
iPad 3 not that bad

I have an iPad 3 which is nice for quick photo editing on the go.
Between Photogene and Snapseed it meets most of my needs.
What is really a pain is the inability to view anything more than thumbnails before actually importing the photo.
I'm wondering whether an android tablet would allow this with reasonable performance
01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I have a ThinkPad Tablet 2, and it is a revelation. I did want something larger than a 7" model, so that might be why it wouldn't be right for you. But it runs Windows as well as a 5 year old, top of the line business laptop in a form factor that is comparable to a magazine. You want to preview pictures? How about running Lightroom. Not some picture viewer, but the full on Adobe Creative Suite. Yes, slower than you might be used to, but serviceable. I use remote desktop to connect to my home server when I want to do actual image editing...and the remote desktop software is excellent, because it is Windows and was designed to do just that. Oh, and the screen knocks the socks off of my (other ThinkPad's) IPS laptop screen; I didn't even notice the difference after calibrating with Spyder, but that's the point if nothing else is--I could connect the dongle and calibrate this tablet's screen.

I can't sing the praises of this device enough. All my other attempts at portable computing, be they Apple or Android, have failed for lack of software. While it may require a geek like me to make it work, using a stylus as a mouse to make desktop programs function, I have been able to be everything I've wanted to do--including type with reasonable speed--on this machine. And three, four, six years from now, when it comes time to retire this device, I can install Linux on it and use it as a very low power server.

Feel free to ask questions if you'd like to know more about these Windows 8 tablets. (PM me if I don't answer in the thread.) I'm not an advocate, merely a gadget-head who wants to help others. My complaints are that the backlighting optimizes based on screen content, and that the keyboard autocorrect sometimes insists that I meant to say something else. But--if only to take handwritten notes in the "margin" of a Kindle book, which are synced automatically with handwriting recognition in OneNote--this device is not merely a killer app but a killer platform.

09-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Original Poster
Well, in the end I stayed with my iPad. But I didn't use it to delete lots of photos, only to store them and make a selection of the best photos. Quickly deleting those non-selected photos was not possible. I did use it however for many other things: as backup for my photos, to keep a travel journal, reading books (including travel guides), browsing the internet, etc etc. I really liked to be able to do all that with such a small and lightweight device.

A week ago, though, I lost my iPad. I'm afraid I accidentally left it on the train when I went to the office...

So I was looking around, trying to decide what to do. The thing is, I have gotten a few apps and ibooks over the last months, so I have more or less already "invested" in the iPad platform (not too dissimilar to a camera mount I guess). But then I found out that there is a new version of Photosmith that apparently lets you delete images on the iPad. It does this by importing all the images into its own sandbox instead of using the standard iOS functionality. A downside could be that other apps cannot access the photos anymore. But if Photosmith does everything I think it does, I don't think I'd mind that too much.
09-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somewhat OT, I know - but -

Take great care using Google and Apple cloud to backup your "Settings."

Sure, it will make it easy to transfer all your connections to a new device in the future if you lose yours, but Google / Android, especially, can read every WiFi Password and Authentication protocol you have ever encountered using your device. EVERYTHING - INCLUDING YOUR WIRELESS BUSINESS NETWORK. Android Default is to backup Settings - you have to tell Google not to record all your Network Authentication Keys.

That doesn't mean Google will snoop around your photo files on your work server - but what if the Government decides it has an interest in you or one of your projects or clients? Do you think Google will stand up for you - or do you think they'll just hand over all the Keys?

Backup "Settings" only to hard media!!
09-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #37

Here is the current setup I'm really happy with.
- Nook HD+ (9inch 1080p IPS screen). This is the cheapest option ($150) but it requires some fiddling to get back to stock Android (4.3). It also fits tightly in the lowepro sling 100AW!
- Sandisk Extreme MicroSD 16Gb with full SD adapter ($26)
Here is the process:
- Shoot (jpeg preferably, I haven't tried this process with RAW)
- Take the card out of the camera and adapter, pop it in the Nook
- Open the gallery app use the filmstrip view
- swipe down to delete, right to go to the next image, double tap/pinch to zoom (this is where it's a lot better than the camera kit for the ipad)
- for the best shots share with Snapseed, edit, improve, save (automatically in internal memory instead of sdcard)
- repeat for all the pics
- once you have your set of pictures, still with the gallery app share again using Picasa (instead of Google+ to ensure full res) in an existing or new album.
- once in while dump your card content (keepers only) to an external hard drive using a computer (I need to find an autonomous drive for that)
The flying through all pics, full size if needed, directly from the card without transfer makes it that I have not grabbed my ipad 3 for photo related stuff in months. If I really need to manipulate raw files (which it would), I'd go to lightroom.

09-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my old android tablet has mini usb and micro sd inputs is there some way of using a adapter to read and down load from a full size sd card?
09-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For the USB mini you could use something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/female-Micro-male-Cable-Adapter/dp/B005GI2VMG/ref=sr...-Adapter-Cable

Then plug your camera's cable, or card reader into the end of the USB cable from the camera into that.

Last edited by photolady95; 09-18-2013 at 08:50 AM.
09-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeanpascalc Quote
Here is the current setup I'm really happy with.
- Nook HD+ (9inch 1080p IPS screen). This is the cheapest option ($150) but it requires some fiddling to get back to stock Android (4.3). It also fits tightly in the lowepro sling 100AW!
- Sandisk Extreme MicroSD 16Gb with full SD adapter ($26)
Here is the process:
- Shoot (jpeg preferably, I haven't tried this process with RAW)
- Take the card out of the camera and adapter, pop it in the Nook
- Open the gallery app use the filmstrip view
- swipe down to delete, right to go to the next image, double tap/pinch to zoom (this is where it's a lot better than the camera kit for the ipad)
- for the best shots share with Snapseed, edit, improve, save (automatically in internal memory instead of sdcard)
- repeat for all the pics
- once you have your set of pictures, still with the gallery app share again using Picasa (instead of Google+ to ensure full res) in an existing or new album.
- once in while dump your card content (keepers only) to an external hard drive using a computer (I need to find an autonomous drive for that)
The flying through all pics, full size if needed, directly from the card without transfer makes it that I have not grabbed my ipad 3 for photo related stuff in months. If I really need to manipulate raw files (which it would), I'd go to lightroom.
How do you like your nook hd+? I love trying new gadgets and 1saleaday.com has a refurbished (1 yr warranty) one for just $109 today only.
09-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
How do you like your nook hd+? I love trying new gadgets and 1saleaday.com has a refurbished (1 yr warranty) one for just $109 today only.
I can't say anything about the B&N specific android version, I loaded it with CM10.2 (Android 4.3) right away.
For the price, there is nothing better if you can follow instructions from XDA on how to install the alternate operating system.
Full HD screen, right size, form factor and weight. It's missing a camera and ambiant light sensor but it reads microsd cards (making it an excellent DSLR companion).
It's quite snappy and not really buggy. Great value for the money.
09-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
Veteran Member

The problem with most Android tablets is that they don't ship with a lot of on-board storage. The expectation is that you'll use an SD card to expand the memory of the device for apps and media that won't fit on the on-board storage. Once you do that, the SD card slot is of dubious value to photogs looking for a portable backup system involving hundreds of photos. It may work if you're only backing up "keepers", but you've got to make sure that the tablet's limited on-board memory doesn't get filled with apps and stuff.

My problem with the "keeper" strategy is that I find myself spending an hour each evening picking and backing them up, an hour I'd much rather spend in a restaurant or bar or cafe.

Backing up to the cloud while on the road is spotty as well, as it's highly dependent upon the upload speeds available at hotels, cafes, etc. Those places are really optimized for downstream data, thus upstream data is usually quite slow.

I've been playing around with this new device, a Kingston MobiLite. It's a bit of a frankenstein-a wifi hub with a USB port for connecting a portable drive, an SD card slot, and a battery for charging up a smartphone. The packaging suggests its meant for a family to be able to bring and share media while on the road, i;e, load up movies and music onto a portable hard drive, and then use the Mobilite to let family members access it on their tablets and phones and computers via WiFi. I've been using it the opposite way, inserting an SD card from my camera, and then using the Mobilite App from my Android phone or iPad to control the transfer the photos from the SD card to an attached portable drive. The data goes right from the card to the drive via USB, the WiFi is used for control only. TBH, it works but it's a totally jerry-rigged solution.
09-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #43

Thanks for the tip, that could very well be the missing link in my workflow!
I have only 3 categories for picking: Nice (those I edit and save full res on G+), Meh (Go to the drive only), Nope (deleted).
I have to look more into the MobiLite as this could handle the Meh category without the need for a PC, and also give the option to empty the card on the go...
09-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Since I replied to this thread a few months ago, I have purchased an iPad4 with 64GB storage. I picked it up in early April just prior to having surgery on my right foot to repair arthritis damage. Absolutely no regrets! For three months it was my constant companion. The screen is incredible. After I got back up and around, I began using it for viewing my photos when away from home and it has performed well. I shoot DNG and it recognizes and displays my shots. I don't edit much on it but that isn't what I bought it for. I had to buy Apple's card reader for $29.

A few thoughts. Getting the larger storage 64 or 128 GB models are worth it for photographers. At a motorcycle rally I attended in June, my several hundred RAW shots plus the photos I keep stored used up 34GB of space. Add some videos, music, and other stuff and it's possible to fill it up quickly.

Store it in the cloud! We hear this every day and it's BS! Maybe if you live in a big city but LTE service has been inadequate to upload even JPEGs and the Wi-Fi in motels and campgrounds limit your bandwidth so video streaming doesn't work well either. I subscribed to MLB and hoped to watch a ball game or 2 and other than my home network, it wouldn't work. The same with Netflix. Having a large storage tablet is essential.

Other than editing photos, I can do 90% of all my computer needs on the iPad. It's faster than any of my Windows laptops and iOS is smooth as silk. Actually, some of the editing apps are pretty darn good. The new Leonardo is pretty advanced and has layers although I haven't had time to get into it much yet.

The big problem with the iPad and all the tablets is that the rest of the world hasn't caught up to the technology. Lack of service, data limits, etc really limit the overall usefulness of these products.
10-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #45

Surprised no one has mentioned the Microsoft Surface Pro yet. All the functionality of a PC in a tablet form factor. A little expensive I know but you can get the first gen Surface Pros for less now I'm sure on an auction site.