Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
have to save your photos with an sRGB profile
Keeping score in color management is tough enough, so it helps to keep the vocabulary accurate here. Image files are assigned color spaces; devices have profiles.

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I'm not sure the problem was so much Windows Explorer not being color managed but rather that for viewing on my own monitor I needed to save the image with the profile for my own monitor, which was not sRGB. However, I almost guarantee that image will not work on any other computer unless someone just happens to have the same monitor and perhaps a relatively similar profile.
Actually your first ruleout was probably more accurate. Windows Explorer is not color managed. If your monitor was profiled by a calibration device, then you should maintain that profile all the time. A color-managed application, like LR, will convert values on the fly to work with the monitor. An sRGB image file will work more often than pretty much anything else on other people's systems, regardless of their specific monitor profile.

The sRBG monitor "profile" that came with your monitor should not be trusted out of the box; it may be accurate to some engineer at the manufacturer's "lab," but your particular environment is different (I assume) Saving an image with the "profile" of a monitor is inside out.

M

12-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Keeping score in color management is tough enough, so it helps to keep the vocabulary accurate here. Image files are assigned color spaces; devices have profiles.
True, but when assigning a color space to match your monitor, as you'd have to do with Windows Explorer, you select the profile as your color space

QuoteQuote:
Actually your first ruleout was probably more accurate. Windows Explorer is not color managed. If your monitor was profiled by a calibration device, then you should maintain that profile all the time. A color-managed application, like LR, will convert values on the fly to work with the monitor. An sRGB image file will work more often than pretty much anything else on other people's systems, regardless of their specific monitor profile.

The sRBG monitor "profile" that came with your monitor should not be trusted out of the box; it may be accurate to some engineer at the manufacturer's "lab," but your particular environment is different (I assume) Saving an image with the "profile" of a monitor is inside out.

M
All correct. The problem is in the color spaces for the image, and you have to basically know where your image is going. sRGB is going to work most often because most people don't have calibrated monitors and the are working with essentially an sRGB profile out of the box. All of the issues brought up in this thread really only become issues for those of us that do calibrate and profile our monitors. In those cases, we need to have an eye for what we are seeing. I mostly save all my images with an sRGB space when they reach their final step because I'm posting on the web or printing through an external web-site or location that works only with sRGB. Those images never look great on my system when I'm browsing with Explorer although that is really no big deal as it seems most of my photography apps these days are color managed. It has become more of a hassle when working with something like PowerPoint or Word (i.e. in an office oriented setting than a photography setting).