Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Problems with PDCU4(.35) & K-30

Hi,

I would like to be able to use this program, horribly confusing interface and all, but ONLY for when I want to process my K-30 raws as if they came from the camera. I'll use LR4 for other times. I'm considering to either shoot RAW only or RAW+JPG with the JPG set to maybe 5 or 8 MP (haven't decided which, yet). The reason I may want a JPG version at all is because due to limitations, I can't afford to go processing every one and the jpg is usually good enough for screen displays.

BTW - these are all straight from camera RAW+jpgs..
I did find the guide that is posted here, but before I try to read all about the adjustment parts, I need to know if it will work at all. The problem is whenever I select 'save as' with a raw file, nothing at all comes up. I suspect this issue may also be related to the fact that when double-clicking a raw, I get an error requester saying "Failed to display main image". Double-clicking a JPG will actually bring up the 'main' window, as well as the 'save as' requester.

I did try uninstalling both the Pentax DNG codec, as well as the Adobe DNG codec - and then just installing the Adobe DNG codec. Yet it still does the same thing [after rebooting, of course].

The system is a Win7 x64-AMD that it's running on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

12-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You might want to verify the file association (DNG) with the program under Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations.
12-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
No, that doesn't seem like it. While there wasn't even a dng file extension shown - after creating and associating it with PDCU4, it still does the same thing.

Not even the metadata shows for DNGs. It shows for jpgs.

It will show when double clicking, but only when the image-display options for "display raw file" are set to 'simple display'. But after opening and choosing 'save as', it will ask if I want to switch to the full-size raw - after answering 'yes', it says the same "Failed to display main image" error.

OH - I did try to install it on a WinXP x32-Intel Pentium 4 machine and the same thing still happens.

Last edited by Hoggy; 12-13-2012 at 11:04 AM.
12-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've tried the same with the Q dng files.

The K30 & Q files will not work with PDCU. You need to use the supplied software with the K-30 & Q which is Silkypix Developer Studio.

The interface is a bit different that PDCU, but with a little trial and error it's not hard to learn. There are very good instructions under the "help" menu.

Actually I was accustomed to the interface a bit already since it is the same as the Fuji Raw File Converter supplied with some Fuji cameras.

I developed some raw files yesterday and was very surprised at how well it did with the Q raw files without much effort - actually better than I did with Acdsee Pro 6.

If you need a quick crash course on working with the Developer Studio, let me know.

12-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I've tried the same with the Q dng files.

The K30 & Q files will not work with PDCU. You need to use the supplied software with the K-30 & Q which is Silkypix Developer Studio.

The interface is a bit different that PDCU, but with a little trial and error it's not hard to learn. There are very good instructions under the "help" menu.

Actually I was accustomed to the interface a bit already since it is the same as the Fuji Raw File Converter supplied with some Fuji cameras.

I developed some raw files yesterday and was very surprised at how well it did with the Q raw files without much effort - actually better than I did with Acdsee Pro 6.

If you need a quick crash course on working with the Developer Studio, let me know.
The Pentax Japan website lists an update for the Silkypix Developer Studio to version 3.0.0.8. It applies to the K-30, K-01, Q10 and Q (it's the second one in the Software listing.

Software Downloads : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Regards
12-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah - I was becoming afraid that that could be the case when I looked at the Pentax site again. I'm wondering if there is a way to fool PDCU4 into thinking it's from a K-5 or something. My thought is that they're trying to screw K-30 owners for not having a K-5(II/IIs).

I'm starting to use Lightroom 4 for cataloging, but unfortunately there are no Pentax camera profiles. I have some that I found elsewhere - probably through this site, but they just don't seem the same as the camera in-built jpg processing. I tried the LR4 built-in 'punch' preset which is actually not that shabby, but it's not quite the same as 'bright' on the K-30.

What I'm wondering now is - does the Silkypix have automatic presets like PDCU4 that are just like the camera in-built camera ones? Or do you have to try and mimic them manually - in which case I might as well try to figure how to do that in LR4 since I'm starting to get used to it a TINY bit.

As I say - I want to rest easy knowing that I can reproduce the exact (or at least VERY near exact) in-cam PP. I'm still in the stage where I'm trying to figure out how my workflow is going to be with both old photos from other cameras and new, but so far I might have LR rename them to a preset of "[first,middle,&last-initials]_[DATE YYYYMMDD]_[Original-Filename]_[ISO]_[Camera-model]" (I did end up dropping [focal length(35mmFl)] from that though, for being a bit too long. ) and lower-case extension - with a second copy going to a folder for bakup to any of DVD+RW, DVD+R, BD-RW, or BD-R - depending on how full the discs will be.
(I'm not a heavy shooter right now, especially while I'm trying to learn SOOO much about image editing/manipulartion and workflow and all that jazz. )

I realized I could process them by copying the original back onto a memory card and into the camera - but that could turn out to be a HUGE hassle considering I'll very likely be renaming them as above. I already found out that the camera won't accept much of anything but the original with it's near-original name (I think case change was ok IIRC). :-/
12-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes you can change the camera settings in Developer Studio just like in PCDU.

When you have an image loaded, at the very top of the left settings panel, you will see an icon that looks like a gear. Dropping down that menu box gives you the different settings just like you would have in the camera.

Here is a screen shot with a Q image loaded - I have already clicked next to the gear icon to open the sub-menu for this:

These are the choices for a Q image - I'm pretty sure your choices with a K-30 image will be different and should mimic what you can set in-camera.

Hope this helps!

12-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's exactly what shows up here in Silkypix. On the K-30, there are 2 areas for effects/filters. The filters section I'm not all that concerned about, since I'm sure those could be replicated in many different softwares/presets. However the ones under 'Custom Image' are more desired. They are: Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Radiant, Muted, Bleach Bypass, Reversal Film, Monochrome, and Cross Processing. Obviously Monochrome isn't concerning, nor likely 'muted' and 'bleach bypass' since I'm guessing that would just be the saturation sliders - and vibrant might likely be the vibrance sliders in LR4. I'm still not entirely sure what the 'Cross Processing' is though.

I mainly keep it on Bright as it makes the photos stand out - I may eventually want a more natural look as I get over my K-30's newness, or maybe not.. But the natural, landscape, vibrant, radiant, and reversal film sound interesting and useful. I see portrait and landscape in that Silkypix list, but considering how different the choices are, I'm willing to bet they are not the same.

I'm still guessing that Pentax is trying to screw us by not allowing the exact choices as K-5 owners would - similar to them crippling some camera features. However the whole anxiety over this endeavor is starting to make me think that I should just say "screw it" to thinking those are so important. And just stick to Lightroom and maybe some other raw converters - I did buy Sagelight too since there was an offer for $40 for lifetime upgrades.

And another thing that has plagued me is worrying that if I make all kinds of adjustments to my images, that once [hopefully] a stock agency or something might want to buy some - that the color would be all wrong. On top of that, like many guys I hear, I'm slightly color-deficient in the red-green area IIRC. And it's been concerning me that my laptop display isn't calibrated [at all properly]. SOOOO - I think I'm going to just break down and splurge on X-rite's i1Display Pro (Due to the ambient light AND temperature monitoring - since this room will have both regular CFLs and daylight CFLs at varying times) and their ColorChecker Passport. I see both on sale for $300 (and I think there will be a rebate too) - a LOT of money right now, but at least that will make any W/B adjustments a breeze (I never could figure out what way to adjust that anyways) PLUS I'll be able to make my own Camera profiles.
THEN I could actually concentrate on taking good pictures - imagine that!

Thanks though - at least I know that section doesn't change now. I think I may get over this hang-up and just shoot raw only once I figure things like adjustments out - and probably have LR keep a full-size preview in the DNG for ordinary displaying in other programs for slideshows and whatnot. That'll help save some space.
12-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well I learned something here today also. It seems that the Developer Studio is nothing like the PDCU.

Although I shoot my K-5 in raw, I do have the custom setting to Bright if I shoot jpeg. In fact, when I do use PDCU to process my raw images, I usually set it to the Bright setting and tweak from there. It's a shame you can't do the same with the K-30 in Developer Studio as you can with the K-5 in PDCU.

I don't use Lightroom but use Acdsee Pro 6 which is very similar. I struggled at first trying to do exactly what you are trying to do and that was to get as close to the Bright Pentax image as I could processing in Acdsee. After a lot of trial and error and time spent here and there, I finally have made myself a preset that is very close. I am sure you can do the same in Lightroom - just takes some time and patience. Every once in a while now I will shoot some raw+ images and take the raw image and run my preset on it then compare the results - fun stuff!
12-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm in the same boat with my K-01. Really wish I could use DCU rather than Silky, or at least in addition too. I think this was silly of Pentax to do.

I mostly use Lightroom, but find that if I want to squeeze the most out of a camera I need to us the vendor software. I find that to be true of Canon and Nikon as well. The colors are just better than what Lightroom and Acr can do.

Last edited by RyanW; 12-17-2012 at 09:45 PM.
01-24-2013, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm a fan of DCU4. I use it with my K20D and K-x files. I was very disappointed to see that it will not process my K-01 files. I was extremely comfortable with DCU4 because it mimics the camera's controls. Silkypix Developer is nothing like DCU4, and is non-intuitive. I decided to give up and bought Lightroom 4. I'm not willing to learn manufacturers' software with every new body. I'm seriously annoyed though, I did a lot of testing of raw convertors a couple of years ago and I liked PDCU4 colours and detail much better than Adobe.

I'm having a bit of time getting around LR, but I'm sticking with it. At least with LR4, everything I learn will be transferable to any new camera.
01-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad I checked this thread before getting into trouble.

I have always used PDCU for all of my cameras: K10D, K20D, K7 and K5 for viewing/saving RAW files.

I had no idea that one must use the Silkypix Developer Studio for handling the Q RAW files.
Because I haven't yet used the Q in RAW (still doing the JPEG's), this never "bothered" me.

So, because of this, I assume that you must, for RAW files:
1. Use PDCU for the K5
2. Use SilkyPix for the Q.
Is that correct?

Silly question but that it's not really surprising, coming from me!

JP
01-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I'm glad I checked this thread before getting into trouble.

I have always used PDCU for all of my cameras: K10D, K20D, K7 and K5 for viewing/saving RAW files.

I had no idea that one must use the Silkypix Developer Studio for handling the Q RAW files.
Because I haven't yet used the Q in RAW (still doing the JPEG's), this never "bothered" me.

So, because of this, I assume that you must, for RAW files:
1. Use PDCU for the K5
2. Use SilkyPix for the Q.
Is that correct?

Silly question but that it's not really surprising, coming from me!

JP
That is correct.
01-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
That is correct.
Right, Q, K-30 and K-01 raw files are incompatible with DCU4.
02-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah - it does piss me off SOOOO much that Pentax has done it this way for my K-30! Not only am I not really willing to learn each manufacturers software, but having a disability that affect cognition and memory pretty much makes it unrealistic/impossible. ... I'd have to learn Fuji S7000, Olympus 720SW(jpg), Pentax K-30, and coming soon: the Canon S100 (being the only 'cheap' raw-capable ultra-slim truly pocketable camera I saw with good picture quality).

Before my Pentax K-30, I never even used RAW much at all with my Fuji S7000 due to confusion issues. I'm also having a hell of a time learning Lightroom 4 among other Raw/camera related things for the past ~5 months. I sure as HELL am not going to screw around with a new program for each and every fricken new camera that comes along! No way, No how! I'm just going to plow into learning to do everything within LR4(and beyond). No mess, no fuss!

It would be nice if Adobe better supported manufacturers that are embracing DNG by providing replications of in-camera processing profiles (aka camera calibration - especially for the default Pentax setting of 'Bright') rather than just pandering to the Canikon people, but that's another issue.