Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lightroom 4 Pentax K-5 Profiles

Hey guys,

Where do I find those? I noticed there was a thread from a few months back and somehow the links got deleted from that. Did anyone get a chance to download them before they got taken down? Thanks in advance!

12-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #2

Lens profiles are included within Lightroom. The latest LR 4.3 includes the K5ii and s as well. For lenses not listed, you can download from Adobe profiles submitted my others. It will require Adobe Air to run. see:

Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Downloader : For Windows : Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0.1 : Thank You
12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! I am not sure, but I think we might be talkind about different things. The lens profiles in Lightroom are for a particular camera/lens combination and I think just correct for things like distortion and other lens characteristics. I was looking for something which restores the orignal (pre-lightroom) settings of the raw file. Like after you import your images into lightroom (before you have opened them) they appear to be colorful/sharp and have nice contrast. That's from the JPEG preview generated by the camera. However, once I "open" them Lightroom basically resets all of the camera settings and me the "raw" file itself with nothing done to it. I really like the Pentax in camera results, so I was looking for a profile where I can use the in-camera settings with a starting point for my post work. The alternative would be the use the JPEG, however then I lose a ton of information which is captured in the raw file

Thats why, as I said someone had posted custom made profiles like that:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-articles/181587-pentax-k-...iants-use.html

However, the original links are gone. I was wondering if someone had a chance to download them and maybe send them to me/re-up them?
12-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

Simple way to remove the lens correction is to un-tick the box in the development module for lens correction.

12-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Lightroom basically resets all of the camera settings and me the "raw" file itself with nothing done to it
That's the nature of RAW files.

I've always been OK with the Adobe Standard default profile for Pentax; liked it better than Camera Standard which has become "embedded."
But I understand what you are seeking--a LR camera profile that mimics one of the Pentax jpg styles. Unfortunately Adobe only seems to do this for Canon and Nikon models. I admit to applying the Portrait profile to my Canon RAW files to serve as a starting point on about 70% of my shots just because I like the look.
One can create a custom camera profile using the Xrite Passport ColorChecker; your monitor has to be very accurately calibrated and profiled as a prerequisite. And theoretically it would only be valid for your particular camera+lens.

The Pentax-provided utility conversion software embeds the jpeg settings in exportable RAW files. You can use that as a pre-step prior to using LR. Alternatively perhaps you could experiment with the LR sliders and create your own preset that mimics the jpg "look" you desire.

M
12-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
Simple way to remove the lens correction is to un-tick the box in the development module for lens correction.
But he's not talking about lens corrections, he's wanting a camera profile.
12-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is one thing about Lightroom that I'm a bit disappointed about. There is no "Camera Standard" profile available for the K-5 in either LR3 or LR4.
Adobe added "support" for the K-5 with LR3.3, but it seems they never created an actual profile?

12-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've never worried about it much myself as if I wanted my images to be like the JPGs out of the camera, I'd just shoot JPG... I know that isn't really the point of the OP, but here is what I've done:

I've essentially set up a rather generic preset that puts me close to what I'd want to see, a starting point if you will, from the start. It is basically a baseline that is applied to all my K5 images on reading into LR. It essentially serves as a profile albeit it isn't technically a profile. I suppose that if I looked into profiles more, I could create one, but I tend to stay away from those a bit as I find the develop module and presets to be a bit more intuitive for where I want to be, and it makes it easy to step back if my automatic preset is not quite right for a particular image.
12-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The "embedded" profile gives me pretty much the same result as the K-5 "Natural" jpg image tone.
01-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

I use the X-rite Passport for every shoot in my workflow, creating custom profiles for any different lighting scenario. LR makes it so fast and easy.
01-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
This is one thing about Lightroom that I'm a bit disappointed about. There is no "Camera Standard" profile available for the K-5 in either LR3 or LR4.
Adobe added "support" for the K-5 with LR3.3, but it seems they never created an actual profile?
Oh I didn't even notice that since I just got my K-5.
My other camera had "Camera Standard" , "Camera Vivid", "Camera Portrait" and "Camera Landscape"
I use "Adobe Standard" most of the time. And "Camera Standard" sometimes.

I wonder if the manufacturer has to send these kinds of profiles to adobe?
01-06-2013, 03:43 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Forum Member

I made some profiles using a ColorChecker Passport. Feel free to use them if you wish!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec53tiwihk9ylxq/K-5%20Lightroom%20Profiles.zip

Drop the .dcp files to

/Users/<your_username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles on MacOS or
C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\ on Windows

Then restart Lightroom and you'll see this for Raw files:

Last edited by ploetzlich; 01-23-2013 at 01:38 PM.
01-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ploetzlich Quote
I made some profiles using a ColorChecker Passport. Feel free to use them if you wish!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hav11dfq7tnvj01/K-5%20Lightroom%20Profiles.zip

Drop the .dcp files to

/Users/<your_username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles on MacOS or
C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\ on Windows

Then restart Lightroom and you'll see this for Raw files:
Thanks will give them a go
01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #14

Amazing! Thanks for posting these ploetzlich, looking forward to trying them out
01-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ploetzlich Quote
Many thanks for posting these.